Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87513 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1125
The spirit of cricket is alive and well in Yorkshire  ::)

https://twitter.com/dpcoverdale/status/1677780653712998403?s=20&fbclid=IwAR1YWz7Mc0fsMzNmLojzywq_zhi2VWiUjhY_3o5ZztVOf7LXx1XWWok23IE
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1127
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-selectors-caught-in-the-cult-of-warner-20230713-p5do3i.html

A very convincing and damning argument.

Like most things, cricket followers just want consistency and transparency … and the best eleven players on the park.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1128
Australian and English cricket share one thing in common and thats the mates club have a large bearing on selection.
Two players I would focus on are Warner and Bairstow, both have been ordinary, both should be dropped but the mates club and weak coaches have kept them in the team because they are popular in the dressing room and we have seen what happens to a coach who makes waves with the playing group ie Langar, even impeccable results couldnt save him when he got offside with a few players because he wanted to run a tighter ship and demand excellence in training.
We all know Warner is rat crape in England and is Broads bunny but its not about Warner anymore its more about the embarrassing excuses trotted out by McDonald and management why he is still being picked and Bairstow is the same.
Everyone knows Foakes is the best keeper in England by a long way and probably the world and Bairstow wouldnt even be in the top 3 keepers in England, Not only has he not performed with gloves or bat he has made a goose of himself on the field but survives on his mateship with senior players in the dressing room. I expect this type of rubbish from England and its corrupt county system which has been under fire for its private school  tie come first mentality and racist attitudes but not Australia and players picking and choosing when they will leave team is laughable along with their bleating spouses making their thoughts known in the media...see Candice Warner.

Reply #1129
@ElwoodBlues1 at one stage they had hit five(5) boundaries and a bunch of singles off Boland yesterday, four boundaries over or through slips, and one an inside edge to fine leg.

In the broadcast Taylor unloaded on Boland, in his last over Boland had Bairstow all over the place, Bairstow inside edged a ball just past leg stump for four, Taylor said Boland was too expensive and lacked control.

Cummins put himself on to replace Boland from that end the next over and Bairstow got pretty much the same inside edge onto the stumps, Taylor called it great bowling.

Rubbish commentary like that is straight out of an episode of The Twilight Zone, and it gets picked up by the media and parroted like it's a statement of fact!

I feel for Boland, he was probably our best bowler but just couldn't buy a wicket, the commentators labelled Boland as expensive but the other bowlers went for more runs off the middle of the bat! 20 of 49 runs Boland conceded came from completely uncontrolled edges.

I thouhgt boland would be effective in england, and against attacking batsman, but it just hasnt been.  as much as i like him...  2/230 means he wont be playing again this series

Reply #1130
I thouhgt boland would be effective in england, and against attacking batsman, but it just hasnt been.  as much as i like him...  2/230 means he wont be playing again this series
Green and Marsh have looked more dangerous given the Bazball nature of the game we are being forced to play. Boland isnt your 6 bouncers an over type player and needs proper test cricket to excel. I'd say you are right and he wont play again and I think Neser might get even a game given his county form. Bolands fielding hasnt been too exciting either and I still cant figure out why he didnt attempt that fly slip catch off Woakes either.

Reply #1131
Green and Marsh have looked more dangerous given the Bazball nature of the game we are being forced to play. Boland isnt your 6 bouncers an over type player and needs proper test cricket to excel. I'd say you are right and he wont play again and I think Neser might get even a game given his county form. Bolands fielding hasnt been too exciting either and I still cant figure out why he didnt attempt that fly slip catch off Woakes either.

Wicketkeeper has right of way.

Reply #1133
Normally I would agree but Carey had to run a long way and dive for the ball and never looked like making it.

True, but it was more a case of poor judgment by Carey.  He should have pulled up and called Boland’s catch.

Reply #1134
True, but it was more a case of poor judgment by Carey.  He should have pulled up and called Boland’s catch.
Yep, if the keeper calls it then it is always the keepers catch, the media trying to blame Boland for that is bizarre, and cricket fans and past players should know better.

The Pommie media is piling on Boland because he is the one they do not want, almost 50% of the runs coming off his bowling comes from edges, that is dead lucky by the Poms not poor cricket from Boland.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1135
Green and Hazelwood need to deliver on those selections
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1136
Green and Hazelwood need to deliver on those selections
Leaving the spinner out might bite us...Greens footwork isn't great against the moving ball.
Wood and Woakes have lifted England with the ball since coming into the team.
Bowlers will need to get us back in front in this game...

Reply #1137
I tend to agree, leaving the spinner out might bite us, but it does look like the weather is going to smash this game in the next few days so it might be irrelevant.

The bigger question is the batting, we went heavy on the batting line up and massively under-delivered, the 1st Innings average here is about 380 with a normal batting line up, we have limped to 300 with a supercharged batting line up! The Aussie media are reporting honours are even, but actually based on the venue history we are already behind.

Ironically, this looks like the type of pitch that is perfect for a Boland type, hopefully Hazelwood can deliver.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1138
I can't watch this, Poms are going to town
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1139
Short stuff is just being pounded, Starc looks injured and having no spinner is starting to bite us.
Going to be tough to keep England under our 1st innings total, they know the weather and are batting to save time for the rain delays expected...