Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 116309 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players

Reply #15
Two votes for Matthew Watson?.....I know this Nigerian bank that needs two new directors, if those posters could contact me I might have a deal for you...

I voted for Watson on the basis of his last game.  On that form he has to be in our best 22 . . . or is the idea that you vote for players who you hope just might dramatically improve and become AFL players overnight  ;)

For me its a bit like selecting Jason Gillespie to open the batting after he made a double century in his last test match vs Bangladesh...I need more than one innings from our Watto to convince me he is the real deal.
The game he played before that was one of the worst games I have seen an AFL footballer play...
I hope you  are right and he makes the grade but me and those Nigerian bankers will be waiting for you at the end of season.... ;)
I went with Jaksch...so feel free to give me a slap at seasons end if he doesnt make it....

Reply #16
I only voted for 22 players from those who were on the list last year as I've no idea what the new guys are really like and how they compare. I'm hoping though that a LOT of them would be on my list after the 2015 season and it would be good to rerun this poll at that point.

PS. I didn't attempt to pick a balanced side - just the best 22 players IMO. Would be an interesting exercise to pick a side from the eventual best 22 polled?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
Two votes for Matthew Watson?.....I know this Nigerian bank that needs two new directors, if those posters could contact me I might have a deal for you...

I voted for Watson on the basis of his last game.  On that form he has to be in our best 22 . . . or is the idea that you vote for players who you hope just might dramatically improve and become AFL players overnight  ;)

For me its a bit like selecting Jason Gillespie to open the batting after he made a double century in his last test match vs Bangladesh...I need more than one innings from our Watto to convince me he is the real deal.
The game he played before that was one of the worst games I have seen an AFL footballer play...
I hope you  are right and he makes the grade but me and those Nigerian bankers will be waiting for you at the end of season.... ;)
I went with Jaksch...so feel free to give me a slap at seasons end if he doesnt make it....

The game where he shanked a shot at goal from 20 metres and almost directly in front?  It wasn't pretty!

Being impressed over one decent performance is no worse than getting excited about how a bloke looks during January training  :P

While I'm quite skeptical about the impact that Jaksch, Jones, Whiley, Tutt, et al will have, I'm hoping like all get out that the optimists are on the money EB :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18

I actually didn't vote for him because I voted before we fixed it back up to 22 so I only had 18 choices.
...but he would have been in my next 4 selections...... so by rights he should have 3 votes.

Like cookie says....
I don't know the abilities of a lot of these new recruits other than what I've seen on highlight reels.
Those that played for other sides have made little impression on me in their careers.
I cant judge where players like Jones, Jaksch, Whiley, Dick, Tutt or any other of our draftees sit in comparison to our other players.
We won't know that until they line up as part of the side.
Until then they're 'paper' players.
Picking one of them in our best 22 strikes me as being as illogical as some of us picking Watson may seem to others.

I doubt whether more than a couple will be making there debuts Round 1 2015....in fact it would strike me as pretty silly going in with too many who haven't played as part of the team.

Reply #19
Interesting so far....no votes for Warnock and Armfield
Thought Sheehan might have scored a few more...thought he slotted into the side quite nicely

Reply #20
Interesting so far....no votes for Warnock and Armfield
Thought Sheehan might have scored a few more...thought he slotted into the side quite nicely
Agree re Sheehan, are he and Touhy fighting for the same spot now (i.e. BP or HBF)?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
Interesting for me is the very strong consistency of the best 22 among posters, despite so many of the list playing zero games in navy blue.

Will be watching the pre-season games more closely than usual :-)

Reply #22
Like many posters, this is not an easy task in January. I have picked just the best players, and after the first 12 to 14 it gets a bit sketchy. A fit Kruezer makes leaving Warnock out an easy choice as he just offers so little around the ground. It surprised me but I couldn't fit Simpson in after selecting Buckley.  Bit iffy on some of the new blokes, as without having seen them play find it hard to slot them in.

Reply #23
LOL someone has left Simpson and Thomas out. God forbid one of those two isn't in our top 22!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
LOL someone has left Simpson and Thomas out. God forbid one of those two isn't in our top 22!

7 people left out Carrazzo.

Yeah but that's stock standard, there's people that have wanted Carrazzo gone for the last decade......they never let go.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
I was the only one who picked Ellard and one of only two who picked Sheahan.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27
I was the only one who picked Ellard and one of only two who picked Sheahan.

You're a good judge of a footballer MBB - in the case of Sheehan anyway  :)

Sheehan has demonstrated that he can play at AFL level and, in my book, that puts him well ahead of the newbies.  I'd have Ellard as 23 or 24.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
I can't see how you can leave Carrazzo out.
If he's fit he's an automatic selection.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #29
I can't see how you can leave Carrazzo out.
If he's fit he's an automatic selection.

Obviously the best 22 will change by the end of the year, and probably a lot throughout...even weekly!

I think Carrazzo certainly starts the season in the best 22.
Due to age and recent (and future?) injuries i'm not sure if he'll still demand best 22 selection by the end of it.

I don't think Carrazzo's 2014 was anywhere near his best season, but same could be said for half the list. If that decline continues he is in trouble.