Skip to main content
Topic: Is Judd stopping Cripps' Development? (Read 13189 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Is Judd stopping Cripps' Development?

Reply #15
Judd could just as easily switch to the role of outside mid.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #16
Cripps is still wet behind the ears.

I don't see it being an issue seeing Judd would be retiring comes season's end. A perfect mentor for Cripps.

Reply #17
@Raydan...
Cripps is getting more midfield minutes in a team that is short on midfielders (ie when Judd is out). Obviously his numbers are going to go up when this happens.

You are suggesting that Cripps can play to same standard every week simply if we don't have judd in the team. He will run out of gas in a month if he is expected to do that. It takes multiple pre-seasons to get used to the wear and tear of AFL footy.

IMO having Judd is allowing him to develop perfectly.

Reply #18
Having Judd the can only help his development. At this point if he takes Judd's role he'll be knackered by year's end. The education with Judd there is more important.

Reply #19
Having Judd the can only help his development. At this point if he takes Judd's role he'll be knackered by year's end. The education with Judd there is more important.

Tend to agree....having him there, a couple of feet away, watching him in action, giving you a few tips on positioning would be invaluable, (even at the expense of your own performance in the early stages of your career)...plenty of time for his own standout games (and it looks like there will be many).

It's painfully obvious  that Cripps is the man we have to build this team around.

Reply #20
Cripps still needs educating and isnt there yet as a player and I reckon Judd is still value as a mentor ....

Reply #21
Cripps still needs educating and isnt there yet as a player and I reckon Judd is still value as a mentor ....

Yes, yes and yes, and so should be Murphy and Gibbs to help him along the way with Bell. He needs to feel he is mentored and needs to feel the support. He isn't superman just yet. He needs to earn his cape first.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #22

In our "rebuild mode" we need to retain next year some carefully selected senior players as mentors and part of a solid team framework for the younger guys to help them develop. These guys would reinforce what the club expects from the young guys as well as teaching them the ropes. Juddy would be one certainly if he's prepared to stay another year in that role and Simmo also springs to mind as a good onfield example setter.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23

Even if Judd wants to hang up the boots at seasons end I'd like to think we could retain him as an assistant for blokes like Crippa.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #24
Judd should be retained as a personal midfield coach.... as Pratt said  "get the best".  The best mid of his generation, a revered figure etc
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #25
Off the top of my head it's not a stretch to say that Judd would be top five in our b+f.

He isn't holding back anybody.

They are simply in his shadow.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Judd should be retained as a personal midfield coach.... as Pratt said  "get the best".  The best mid of his generation, a revered figure etc

Yeah pratt employed swan  ::)

Reply #27
On another issue I think the club need to look at some new roles for Murphy and Gibbs...I didnt really think they were missed that much in the midfield as far as ball getting
was concerned and while they have more polish than say Cripps, Bell,Curnow etc they dont have much presence or impact with their disposal these days.
Murphy in particular is under pressure most of the time and Gibbs has been kicking around corners and been sloppy with his work this season...maybe Gibbs playing forward
in a more permanent role might get us better results on the scoreboard and Murphy playing outside on a wing might take pressure off him....

Reply #28
On another issue I think the club need to look at some new roles for Murphy and Gibbs...I didnt really think they were missed that much in the midfield as far as ball getting
was concerned and while they have more polish than say Cripps, Bell,Curnow etc they dont have much presence or impact with their disposal these days.
Murphy in particular is under pressure most of the time and Gibbs has been kicking around corners and been sloppy with his work this season...maybe Gibbs playing forward
in a more permanent role might get us better results on the scoreboard and Murphy playing outside on a wing might take pressure off him....

Trade them both out. .

Reply #29
I would also like to see Cripps develop as a leader, he already throws his weight around in the conest and dumps people in tackles so there is something there.

Simpson captain next year and all things being equal Cripps the year after, young but he is all we got.