Skip to main content
Topic: Karma (Read 13137 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Karma

Reply #15
The Karma thing is ok but you should be able to see on particular posts who gave it a like or dislike. It stops people abusing the system I think.

Can't believe that just because LR didn't like it that he seeked, then it was taken down. He's not that much of a prima donna surely.

I would prefer a system where you could "like" or "dislike" a post.  That would save all those "X2" posts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I think it actually serves to control what people put into their opinions so support the removal of the rating, even if it was an intersting new addition.

Sometimes we see people making unpopular statements that are condemned by posters and people get de - carma'ed accordingly.

Personally, I dislike the carma for the poster, but would like if changed for the post, as that way you condemn/like the content of what someone was saying without swelling a stupid rating to the poster.

Denimundies as an example ended up with a right rogering in the karma stakes, but much of what he wrote was just offering a different perspective.  Credit to him for not changing his posting, and sticking with the same content.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
The Karma thing is ok but you should be able to see on particular posts who gave it a like or dislike. It stops people abusing the system I think.

Can't believe that just because LR didn't like it that he seeked, then it was taken down. He's not that much of a prima donna surely.

I would prefer a system where you could "like" or "dislike" a post.  That would save all those "X2" posts.

If I could like this post I would so

X2

Reply #18

Exactly my point. Anyone with a personal vendetta could hide behind the system. I saw PI2C go from about 11 to minus 2 in one day and yet his posts were fair and reasonable.

I didn't hit the 'dislike' once. And if I liked, I let the person know by post and PM.

I'm just a big fan of transparency... much like J. Hird  >:D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Hey, just noticed Karma scores have gone. I think the facility to "Like" or "Recommend" specific posts would be a good feature, a lot of on-line comments blogs have this.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
Glad it's gone to be honest, IMO it was getting silly, unless we can find a way to 'like' individual posts, let it die.

Also not a big fan of post counts, I'd rather know the sex and age of posters, Personally I would find that more helpful and interesting !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #21
I'm a bit of a fishing tragic  ;D I'm on the Ausfish forum where a system of Likes, Dislikes and Thanks works very well. I've got something like 800 likes, 300 thanks and about 12 dislikes, most of those are from mates doing some stirring or reacting to the same from me.  :D

The system has been in place from a long time and works well and is not abused. You can see who has put a like, dislike or thanks on any post.

There are lot of great posts on here that I would love to give a thanks or like to and have that recognized by the poster. There's no point in getting a recognition if you don't know by who or for what, which is where the karma system fell down and was open to abuse.

Reply #22
When used correctly, it is a nice addition.

When people abuse the system it ruins it for everyone.

I suspected it may eventually go down the path it did and was actually surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Like the post counts before it, people abuse the system.

In short, this is why we can't have nice things.  :P

Reply #23
To the Mods, could we take on board what others have suggested and be able to 'like' individual posts? Sometimes you don't have anything to add to a post, but you'd like to recognise the effort that someone has gone to, or show your support of their sentiment. And show who has liked or disliked a post. People would be far less likely to abuse the system if everyone knew who they were. 

Reply #24
To the Mods, could we take on board what others have suggested and be able to 'like' individual posts? Sometimes you don't have anything to add to a post, but you'd like to recognise the effort that someone has gone to, or show your support of their sentiment. And show who has liked or disliked a post. People would be far less likely to abuse the system if everyone knew who they were.

Certainly
We'll have a look at it.
Depends on the flashing buttons and such.
I wouldn't mind a "positive" system like that

Reply #25
While we're at it could we make the quotes all equal size? I cant be the only one who finds it really hard to read after about the first qoute?

The size is a general improvement tho.

Reply #26
Thank goodness it's gone. Now I can say what I really think.

Reply #27
I would like to give a positive karma point to the people who decided to remove karma.
Btw... if something like that was in play, surely a system whereby you can receive only positive and not negative feedback would be better.

Or... just feedback directly on posts rather than posters
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #28
Thank goodness it's gone.....................

Tend to agree. In my experience anonymous negative feedback arrangements are of little use since they tend to get abused.
Reality always wins in the end.