Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38759 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #75
A disastrous combination which we are reaping now....
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #76
We therefore answer our own questions in a sense by acknowledging that, due to sins of the past, we are forced into a ‘play all the youth at all costs’ strategy which is a long, long way home.

Unfortunately yes
It's a vicious circle...Who had the easier path into senior football?
Who was surrounded by players that served as examples and protectors?
Murphy at Carlton or say a Selwood at Geelong.

In retrospect Murphy has done exceptionally well.
But he would have had a better introduction to AFL elsewhere.

Reply #77
why hasn't Shaw been given a run...

100 gamer, hard at it, runs all day - couldn't be any worse than Mullet or O'Shea...

Losing faith in the Bolton Plan....appears the players may be too....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #78
That’s one hell of a leap. Im gutted by today’s loss but you look at what we put out there and the effort of some individuals- we have some good assistant coaches, I see this more as players not listening or being capable of playing to instruction.

It's not like it's an isolated week, you'd have to assert they haven't learnt a thing in 3 years!

Contrast that result with the Lions, they look organised, they execute the basics and sacrifice for each other.

Ducking kerridge - kicks round corners instead of playing percentages, daisy try’s to play champagne football to LOB when Spumante would have been the better option. Jones failing to get body contact with his opponent ....the list goes on. I agree wiTh an earlier post, get rid of the spuds and let the kids play!

The defenders coming off the HBF are on a hiding to nothing, because you know somewhere down the chain we will turn the ball over and the mids and forwards will exert minimal pressure on the roll back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
Liam Jones started ok but ended up out of sync with the flow of the game and got caught in between contests or like OShea just arrived too late...

There is the difference between Jones and Weitering, Weitering will read the play and place himself in the right locations, Jones has to be in the right location by chance so that he can impact the contest. Weitering will mark the ball giving us control, Jones will punch the footy creating chaos!

One is the future, the other a passing curiosity!

Put Jones inside F50, instruct the mids to kick the ball long and high 20m from wherever he stands, and make sure the kids are front and square. The new focus by umpires on blocking will really help him.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
To some extent, but we are missing a group of mid 20's players due to drafting failures.
Watson, Bootsma, Austin, Menzel, Lucas, etc. etc. etc.

Yes. Spot on. Add Boekurst to that and it's a telling tale :'(
Not on our list anymore but their shadow continues to haunt us.
Many of us have said it. Our middle tier flopped, leaving the elders to bring up the babies. Tall order.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #81
Quite apart from the issues presented thus far, we have probably got the worst bottom 6 players in the AFL, and as Robert Walls and no doubt others have said, a team is as good as its bottom 6 players. Mullet played 18 games for North last year, Vickery played 17 in his last year at Richmond - both those players  are cut, and the team improves ? Of course there is much more to it than that, but I really wonder sometimes whether the focus on maximising high end talent is overstated, and whether we should be trying to shore up our bottom end instead ? Richmond don't have much elite talent, but they have managed to sort out their bottom 6 beautifully. 

Reply #82
Oh, and the scroll bar on the right side of the page is behaving strangely again.

Reply #83
Oh, and the scroll bar on the right side of the page is behaving strangely again.

It's only displaying really active topics.
If you want to post in another thread ...do so and it will become active on the scroll bar.

Reply #84
Apparently Bolton blew up at the three quarter time break.
Even the commentators were impressed by the venom.
But...
Are our coaches making 'promises' our players cant keep?
Are their expectations exceeding the player's ability?
The players obviously weren't following instructions.
We've seen that a couple of times over the last decade...where a coach's plan is too demanding, or complicated, for the players at his disposal.
In that case either the plan changes or the coach changes.(We usually choose option 2 ;))

They key difference between last week and this was the effort and attitude...yep, you'll get that with young sides but that's one hell of a roller coaster.
The thing is...If we throw it over to the kids then expect the losses to exceed 100 points on many occasions while they develop...and we can't go whinging about that.

Actually Principal LODS, I think it is simply that last week we really didn't have an opponent and this week we did, and when the pressure came we folded badly, very badly. This is a theme with us, when genuine heat comes from an opponent, we fold.

I won a dubious bet with Mrs Baggers... she bet at loss by under 34 pts. I bet a loss by 10+ goals, just knew it in my bones that an in-form side would tear us up. Oh, what was the bet? Let's just say I don't feel as bad now... :D

I really believe that even with the Curnows we would have still suffered a heavy loss, not 100+ pts, but probably still around 10 gls.

Unfortunately I really don't think we know much about where we really are at present. I said a few weeks back that I suspect after the bye, when we have most players available, we should do better, and win a few games - if not, then I wouldn't want to be BB at year's end.

By the bye, or just after, we should have (by year's end, anyway), Williamson, Pickett, SOS - CUZ, Marchbank and Byrne. And we'll know more about the SOJ experiment as a mid/fwd, whether Weitering has regained consistent touch, Polson as a run-with, whether Cuningham can actually put more than 2 qtrs together, whether Kennedy is injured or another GWS dud.

Bottom line is that we need two gun, mature aged, BIG BODIED midfielders at this year's draft...no more little bodies FFS.  Murphy, ZF and SPS should be outside mids, not inside... just to fkn small.

If not for Cripps, god knows how many huge losses we would have had.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #85
Fair point.....our senior players apart from a few are not good enough to carry the newbies, Saints have the same problems.....then you look at Stephenson from Collingwood who has been playing really well but its on the back of a dominate Collingwood midfield who can get him some easy ball and use his running strengths.
Dow and OBrien have to win contested footy at the coalface which isnt their job, they are creators/runners like Stephenson but forced to do it harder.....

Does this mean we are on Mission Impossible? I.e. you can't do a ground up rebuild in a live AFL environment?  ???
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
I won a dubious bet with Mrs Baggers... she bet at loss by under 34 pts. I bet a loss by 10+ goals, just knew it in my bones that an in-form side would tear us up. Oh, what was the bet? Let's just say I don't feel as bad now... :D

Too much information, Baggers ;D

Reply #87
I thought it was persecuting me!!!! I also can't quote or use the emoji's....
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #88
Does this mean we are on Mission Impossible? I.e. you can't do a ground up rebuild in a live AFL environment?  ???

That's always been my concern.
Had we not cut so deep and done it gradually would we be better placed.
Time will tell.

Reply #89
I thought it was persecuting me!!!! I also can't quote or use the emoji's....

That's a different issue....give it till the morning and then let us know if you still have that problem.

In the meantime if you want to quote just copy/paste