Skip to main content
Topic: Phil Hughes (Read 26219 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Phil Hughes

Reply #15
Hope he pulls through.  Thoughts go out to his family.

Reply #16
Disgraceful to read The Hun and other News Ltd rags raising questions over the delay in SCG staff calling 000.

Reports are that two doctors were there at the ground, one experienced in trauma type injuries and severe sports injuries having traveled with the Australian Rugby teams.

The best News Ltd can do is write a headline about the delay of a phone call causing grief and pain for Hughes friends and relatives!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
LP, it may be a legitimate question.  I haven't read the article, so I can't say one way or the other.  But a well-known issue in emergencies is that obvious steps are often not taken when there are a lot of bystanders.  Everyone assumes that someone else will do the honours.  If you're ever in a situation where you are a first responder, don't say, "Someone ring an ambulance" or "Someone get me some scissors".  You need to eyeball one bystander and tell him or her what you need.  So the doctors may well have told others to call an ambulance given that they were otherwise occupied, but the directive may have passed through to the keeper because the bystanders may all have thought that someone else was doing it.  Maybe they saw someone making a call and assumed that this was a call to the ambulance whereas it was to tell Rogers' mates what was happening.  In any event, if the call for an ambulance was delayed, then this should be reported or else the Ambulance Service would be blamed for a delay that was at least in part not its fault.  And that affects a massive political issue.

The operation may well see Rogers recover completely.  My sister underwent an emergency operation in which 2 holes were drilled in her skull and blood was extracted.  She was apparently only an hour away from death and the pressure of the massing blood inside her skull had rendered her senseless.  That was some time ago, and she has recovered fully.  Hope the same will be true for Hughes.

Reply #19
Disgraceful to read The Hun and other News Ltd rags raising questions over the delay in SCG staff calling 000.

Reports are that two doctors were there at the ground, one experienced in trauma type injuries and severe sports injuries having traveled with the Australian Rugby teams.

The best News Ltd can do is write a headline about the delay of a phone call causing grief and pain for Hughes friends and relatives!

I understand that the issue is the time it took the ambulance to respond to the 000 call.  Fortunately for Hughes, Dr Orchard was able to provide immediate first aid.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
It looks like the Ambulance Service initially claimed that the ambulance arrived just 7 minutes after the call was received and by implication it took 14 minutes or so for the call to be made.  It has now conceded that there had been an earlier call made 6 minutes after Hughes was hit and the ambulance dispatched from 800m away from the SCG took 23 minutes to arrive and it actually arrived after the 2nd ambulance arrived.  Make no mistake - this is newsworthy and there will be much discussion in NSW regarding the efficiency of the ambulance service.

You have to wonder, though, why it took 6 minutes for the 1st call to be made given that blood was coming from Hughes' ear.  Maybe the bystander effect I noted above is the explanation.  Surprising that an ambulance isn't onsite at the SCG during matches in which fast bowlers are exceeding 150 kph with a hard ball.

Reply #21
It looks like the Ambulance Service initially claimed that the ambulance arrived just 7 minutes after the call was received and by implication it took 14 minutes or so for the call to be made.  It has now conceded that there had been an earlier call made 6 minutes after Hughes was hit and the ambulance dispatched from 800m away from the SCG took 23 minutes to arrive and it actually arrived after the 2nd ambulance arrived.  Make no mistake - this is newsworthy and there will be much discussion in NSW regarding the efficiency of the ambulance service.

You have to wonder, though, why it took 6 minutes for the 1st call to be made given that blood was coming from Hughes' ear.  Maybe the bystander effect I noted above is the explanation.  Surprising that an ambulance isn't onsite at the SCG during matches in which fast bowlers are exceeding 150 kph with a hard ball.

Yes, it seems the stories are changing by the minute!

As for the ambulances arriving out of sequence, I believe this is normal as units already on the road respond to urgent codes if they are available to do so.

I suspect we are going to find the first unit was delayed primarily at the SCG end not at the depo, or that the 1st despatched ambulance was delayed because a closer unit had been diverted.

This goes to the funding of ambulance services everywhere, a high profile victim of politicising health! The politicians will deflect if the media take this issue to them, they will say now is not the time to discuss it, but in fact now is the perfect time!

Gaining cheaper health services through outsourcing does not necessarily make for better services or even more services, the only thing it guarantees is cheaper!

But you want to blame the rich for this, those who can pay but refuse to subscribe. Tight-ar5e millionaire and billionaire bastards and the wealthy middle class who expect priority service but have no private health cover or ambulance subscription. Politics and big business is full of them, they claim they are happy to self-insure because they can afford the risk, but by not subscribing to the services they actually diminish the availability! Our country is full of them and they bitch like crazy when one of their own suffers a delay!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Gaining cheaper health services through outsourcing do not necessarily make for better services or even more services, the only thing it guarantees is cheaper!

Sometimes not even cheaper is guaranteed in the long run

Reply #23
Sometimes not even cheaper is guaranteed in the long run

Don't we know it, NSW should be well versed in this.

I have a friend who tells me about a trick of accounting used by governments. They claim to be better fiscal managers, the A Grade standard at getting the budget in control. But reality they are just tricky accountants manipulating figures to make things look better.

One way they do this is move money around, I won't go into details because I think we have posted about it here before. For example to be seen as slashing costs, increasing health spending and getting tough on crime they move funds and mental health cases from the courts to the health department. It's not even a reallocation, just a change to the heading on a page somewhere that says cases dealt with by the courts can be moved into mental health. Then the politicians claim that crime is down despite slashing the budget, and health spending is up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Through my cricket connections (albeit second-hand), I've just been told that the situation with Hughes and his overall health may not be positive with strong fears he may not come out of the coma.

Gotta hope that this information is wrong though.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #25
Through my cricket connections (albeit second-hand), I've just been told that the situation with Hughes and his overall health may not be positive with strong fears he may not come out of the coma.

Just read on the HS what Alan Jones said on radio this morning (where he was reduced to tears) about the young fellas condition. The situation appears grave, he is breathing by the aid of machines and the injury is much worse that first thought. I pray to god he recovers but judging by the faces of the all the cricketers going to visit him, my gut feeling is that it almost looks as if they are all going in to say their goodbyes. Again its my gut feeling and I hope to god I am grossly wrong.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26

Alan Jones broadcasting the graveness of the situation. Forgive me for this but I hope Jones did so with the wishes of the Hughes family and isn't just trying to grab some ratings. But when Jones and his like are involved I remain ever so cynical of motives for such announcements!

We all wish the young man the very best!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
I think we can all see what's playing out here. What a horrible situation for all involved.

Reply #28
Just read on the HS what Alan Jones said on radio this morning (where he was reduced to tears) about the young fellas condition. The situation appears grave, he is breathing by the aid of machines and the injury is much worse that first thought. I pray to god he recovers but judging by the faces of the all the cricketers going to visit him, my gut feeling is that it almost looks as if they are all going in to say their goodbyes. Again its my gut feeling and I hope to god I am grossly wrong.

I hope you are wrong as well, but I understand your perception of the situation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
The reports are the lad has passed away, the posts from both of you are not suitable for the thread!

Rest in Peace Phil Hughes, too young!
The Force Awakens!