Skip to main content

Poll

Which is your favourite?

T20, great for me great for the family!
[ 0 ] (0%)
ODI, the in form players get a full innings!
[ 0 ] (0%)
Test, I want to see the best at the pinnacle!
[ 14 ] (82.4%)
Cricket is dead to me!
[ 3 ] (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Topic: T20 vs ODI vs Test (Read 5716 times) previous topic - next topic

T20 vs ODI vs Test

Watching the WC ODI final I thought I'd post this question.

For me there is space for all three forms of the game as they are quite different, but it's is not clear to me they will all thrive.

T20 is a great short form game, good for families, TV and sponsors. But I am not sure it will survive as we see more of the tricks learned in T20 brought into ODIs. Is T20 destined to become redundant?

ODIs seem to be the mature option for cricket lovers even the T20 starters. I appreciate you still get dud ODIs, but when you have a bloke in great form batting why would I want to watch them bat for a maximum of 20 overs, when I can have a full innings to observe? Those big hundreds in ODIs at good strike rates are spectacular, better than stuff coming out of T20 in my opinion.

Test is the pure form of the game, the best the bowlers can offer against the best the batsmen can offer. I think test is where the bowlers have a chance to show their full range of talents and for that reason I suspect it will remain the premier form of the game that cricket lovers migrate towards.
The Force Awakens!

Re: T20 vs ODI vs Test

Reply #1
I love cricket full stop, but Test cricket will always be the pinnacle for me.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #2
I think in the long run that television/visual media will be a huge factor in determining the future form of the game.

It's why I think the five day test form of the game will eventually die out.
(I'm talking many years from now ;)....long after I'm gone :D)

The 20 over version lends itself best to TV and a viewing audience in prime time. (Maybe a 25-30 over will be where it eventually settles)

Reply #3
I love cricket full stop, but Test cricket will always be the pinnacle for me.

x2....

Test cricket is the ultimate test of ability....I like 50 over cricket especially the world cup but T20 cricket is more for park cricketers who lack the technique to play test cricket..

Reply #4
Sorry but I couldn't give a flying fork about cricket.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
x2....

Test cricket is the ultimate test of ability....I like 50 over cricket especially the world cup but T20 cricket is more for park cricketers who lack the technique to play test cricket..

I agree fully. T20 is great for those that want to see a game completed in about 3 hours. Big hitting, and a lack of respect for a bowling line up.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #6
Sorry but I couldn't give a flying fork about cricket.

Might not be the thread for you then GTC. ;D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #7
ODI cricket is certainly on the up at the moment.
Record crowds at the world cup tournament and a record crowd again last night.

Test cricket is still the ultimate goal for any cricketer though.

T20??? Great for TV.

The interest in all types of the game seems to be  increasing amongst the general public if the crowds during this last summer mean anything.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #8
I'm not much into cricket these days (was a big fan in my younger days), but have been dragged back into it a little by my son.

1. Test cricket, by the length of the Flemington straight.
2. ODI - watchable and plausible
3. T20 - should be wiped from the face of the earth. Cannot watch it or enjoy it on any level.

Reply #9
There have been allegations of new bats coming into the T20 market that behave like tennis rackets, with very little effort hit the sweet spot and the ball will leave the arena faster than the bowler can bowl it. FMD, umpires will have to be 20m back from the stumps just to stay safe, bowlers may have to wear helmets!

So I was interested to hear that the ICC is thinking of putting further limits on the dimensions of bats, thickness, weight, density, etc., etc...

It will be interesting to see what happens to some players and certain versions of the game if that happens!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Bring back the aluminium bat. The one Dennis Lillee used years ago. Didn't it take a chunk out of the ball ? ;D
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #11
Test Cricket is Cricket. Nothing compares.

ODI's are a form of cricket for developing test players to ply their trade in front of an audience who find the 5 day format too long.

T/20 Cricket is fairy floss. Tastes sweet but disappears with no lingering memories.
IN WADA WE TRUST