Skip to main content
Topic: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December) (Read 33616 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Reply #120
Not pretty reading:

Forecast for the rest of Monday
SummaryMax 21Possible morning storm. Showers.Possible rainfall: 5 to 15 mmChance of any rain: 90% 
Perth area
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, becoming less likely in the early afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm early this morning. Damaging winds possible early this morning. Winds westerly 30 to 45 km/h turning southwesterly 35 to 45 km/h in the late morning then decreasing to 25 to 35 km/h in the late afternoon.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #121
Not according to Steve Waugh.  He reckons that Handscomb's technique is fine and he was dropped because of lack of form.

What he needs is time in the middle and he's not going to get that now.

Other past champions say otherwise. You can see he is having issues. The Poms have worked him out. He needs time in the nets so sort things. Won't be getting back in the side in a hurry now after Marsh made 181 plus having the ability to bowl.

Reply #122
Handsome is every but as back foot dominant as Smith was and is, but Handscomb can't hide down the list as a bowler like Smith did! Smith had the luxury of staying in the side even when his batting form didn't warrant it.

In his first 3 years Smith averaged 34.64 from 16 innings, 2 centuries and 5 fifties, and wasn't dropped.
Over Handscomb's first 2 years he has averaged 47.35 from 12 innings, 2 centuries and 4 fifties, and got the kibosh!

Now the sycophants are claiming Smith is the greatest batsmen since Bradman, well I'll call that rubbish as well because in my opinion the quality of the opposition matters, and at the moment global Test Cricket and Test Bowling has never been weaker. It's being severely damaged by the growth of the IPL and 20/20 and blokes earning big money for 1 over spells!

Handsccomb is totally dominant on his back foot, Smith while he shuffles across, goes forward to balls that require him too, not unlike Ian Chappell back in the day.

Reply #123
Handsccomb is totally dominant on his back foot, Smith while he shuffles across, goes forward to balls that require him too, not unlike Ian Chappell back in the day.

There is very little difference between Handscomb and Smith, especially if we restrict comparisons to their first few seasons.

In the Sydney Test vs Pakistan Handscomb was praised for quick footwork and getting down the pitch to the three Pakistani spinners. The media were all over Khawaja and Smith in the 1st innings and used the contrast of Renshaw's big forward stride and Warner and Handscomb's fast foot work as an example of what Smith and Khawaja should do. I think between them Renshaw, Warner and Handscomb scored more than 400 of Australia's 500+ total. In the Australian 2nd innings Renshaw didn't bat, Khawaja and Warner opened and Smith promoted himself to 3 ahead of Handscomb for the quick run chase.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
Leaky covers? Someone doesn't want the series over before boxing day.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #125
Leaky covers? Someone doesn't want the series over before boxing day.

You'll be labeled a crazy conspiracy theorist if you keep this up!

If pictures surface of Warnie pissing on the pitch we'll know which broadcaster to blame! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Fair effort by the Aussies
Love the skipper. What a great series thus far.
Selectors have done a great job too. I wouldn't have guessed Paine or the Marsh brothers but all did very well.
Hazlewood very good too

Reply #127
Stokes and his mum into the English 11 should stiffen them up a fair bit.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #128
There is very little difference between Handscomb and Smith, especially if we restrict comparisons to their first few seasons.

In the Sydney Test vs Pakistan Handscomb was praised for quick footwork and getting down the pitch to the three Pakistani spinners. The media were all over Khawaja and Smith in the 1st innings and used the contrast of Renshaw's big forward stride and Warner and Handscomb's fast foot work as an example of what Smith and Khawaja should do. I think between them Renshaw, Warner and Handscomb scored more than 400 of Australia's 500+ total. In the Australian 2nd innings Renshaw didn't bat, Khawaja and Warner opened and Smith promoted himself to 3 ahead of Handscomb for the quick run chase.

Quite a bit of difference between them. Smith shuffles but goes forward and back. Handscomb's footwork is all back right now and the Poms have sorted him out.

Reply #129
Stokes and his mum into the English 11 should stiffen them up a fair bit.

His grandmum would give more effort.....I'd drop Broad and Cook......holiday makers not cricketers, both pathetic contributors in this test.
Ok they might have been there and done it all but dont come on tour, take the money if you are not going to try.......
They found a classy player in Milan though and I think Vince can also make the grade......
Ali is another who needs resting, way out of form and his bowling could be described as friendly at best...
Think the Poms will play Foakes and Crane in Melbourne, ...Curran might also get a game to replace Overton who looked sore.
Worst English team I have seen......I'd make Bairstow captain and let Root stick to batting....

Yep selectors got it right with Paine and M. Marsh...the latter still hasnt won me over but you cant knock 181 with the willow....
Smith is a freak, no textbook to describe how he plays but he might well be the next best Aus batsman to Bradman when his career ends.....ok World Test cricket is poor and bar the South Africans
no one can win away from home but Smiths consistency is phenomenal...
Lets go for 5-0 and send this pretend touring team home back to county cricket where they belong....

Reply #130
Thank God for Mitch Marsh... 9 overs 0-43 and 3 overs 0-14

What on earth would we have done without him..

Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon will be buying him beers all night.... :D

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #131
Thank God for Mitch Marsh... 9 overs 0-43 and 3 overs 0-14

What on earth would we have done without him..

Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon will be buying him beers all night.... :D

Uh and a lazy 180 odd.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132
yes great innings...... but he was brought in to give the bowlers a chop out.  I left Cummins out... doh.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #133
yes great innings...... but he was brought in to give the bowlers a chop out.  I left Cummins out... doh.

And because the English are so poor they hardly neede a chop out. That is the reality?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #134

Exactly!  You can't fault his batting in this test, but he was specifically brought into the team to provide a 5th bowler who would be threatening at over 140kph. 

I have a feeling that he is welded on to the test team for the next 6-8 tests and will do nothing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball