Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24359 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #105
If we believe some of what is written on here, this supposed "soft c0ck" player attitude has persisted for at least a decade. Which means that apart from a few like Simmo, Murph, Krooz, many of the "originators" are now long gone. Our list has also turned over several times in these years. All coaches, recruiters, football department people and other support staff have also changed. Yet supposedly this problem persists ? All because all of a little bloke who couldn't scare a school girl ? Gee, he must pretty tough if he can hold influence over other players, coaches, recruiters etc.

I call BS. Massive, massive BS.

Reply #106
Disorganised….was the theme for the night in terms of our forward line.
It was like a dog's breakfast.

At times we had Harry down on the wing and McGovern deep in defence….couldn't find Charlie!
Forward entries were still just a "bomb it in and hope" in most cases.
Small forwards we're largely ineffective.

If there's a structure there it's hard to see.

Reply #107

At times we had Harry down on the wing and McGovern deep in defence….couldn't find Charlie!

BANG!! And whilst only a praccy mactch, the structure in the Cheats JLT game was miles better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
Interesting that Riewoldt’s stats and ratings were lower than Charlie’s. Maybe both teams are coming to terms with new structures. Difference was that they had others who could chip in.

Reply #109
Interesting that Riewoldt’s stats and ratings were lower than Charlie’s. Maybe both teams are coming to terms with new structures. Difference was that they had others who could chip in.

Only because they don't count victims and scalps, Riewoldt would be miles ahead, he deliberately jumped into at least three of our players!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110

3 talls down forward and a small marking forward was too slow for a night game and if there is one team in the comp that has three decent tall backs its the Tigers.
We selected what they would have wanted....dumb, especially with Fasalo unfit and looking like he needed time in the NB's to get into shape.

We play Port this week who are smaller and lighter down back and our talls if they pull the finger out and the weather is ok can give us an advantage.

The problem we have is no decent delivery as well...dont know what rocket scientist decided Ed Curnow was forward material, cant kick and takes way too long to dispose of the footy...

Structure down back was also poor with regard to kick ins.....

Reply #111
BANG!! And whilst only a praccy mactch, the structure in the Cheats JLT game was miles better.

A real concern for me is this;

It looks like the Nthmond VFL structures and tactics mirrored the AFL structures, Teague and a bunch of our MC were at the VFL game as reported in the VFL thread, yet come AFL game time we looked basically unprepared for what Nthmond did!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
The problem we have is no decent delivery as well...dont know what rocket scientist decided Ed Curnow was forward material, cant kick and takes way too long to dispose of the footy...

It's amazing EB1. I have a bunch of work associates who have only a cursory knowledge of AFL, they are basketball types and two of them are involved in coaching NBA / Metro juniors. But they watch big AFL games like last night.

Both of them stated the slow ball movement of the Curnow boys crueled any chances we had. They basically stated by the end of the game Nthmond setup to prefer Charlie and Ed winning the football knowing they would hold it up and give Nthmond defense time to setup. Apparently preferentially surrendering possession like this, to slow thinkers or movers, is as deliberate basketball tactic to tilt the turnover stats in your favor.

The people at work even though they are at best casual observers saw through it, what about our coaches?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113
It's amazing EB1. I have a bunch of work associates who have only a cursory knowledge of AFL, they are basketball types and two of them are involved in coaching NBA / Metro juniors. But they watch big AFL games like last night.

Both of them stated the slow ball movement of the Curnow boys crueled any chances we had. They basically stated by the end of the game Nthmond setup to prefer Charlie and Ed winning the football knowing they would hold it up and give Nthmond defense time to setup. Apparently preferentially surrendering possession like this, to slow thinkers or movers, is as deliberate basketball tactic to tilt the turnover stats in your favor.

The people at work even though they are at best casual observers saw through it, what about our coaches?

LP...Tigers move it quick and even use the tap on to advantage to keep the ball rolling their way.....they love that overlap play with the joe the goose goal and work hard for each other to make it happen.
Its a supporter nightmare watching it unfold as you can see 2-3 plays ahead whats going to happen if they get the break after those tap ons to advantage.
Ed is a tagger but doesnt have much offensive nous and plays old school footy. Charlie looked like he was expecting the ball to find him rather than him get the ball and maybe the bathwater got a bit high and he has been swallowing it rather than bathing in it....

Reply #114
LP...Tigers move it quick and even use the tap on to advantage to keep the ball rolling their way.....they love that overlap play with the joe the goose goal and work hard for each other to make it happen.
Its a supporter nightmare watching it unfold as you can see 2-3 plays ahead whats going to happen if they get the break after those tap ons to advantage.
Ed is a tagger but doesnt have much offensive nous and plays old school footy. Charlie looked like he was expecting the ball to find him rather than him get the ball and maybe the bathwater got a bit high and he has been swallowing it rather than bathing in it....

I accept that, but we have how many professional full-time AFL coaches on the club payroll?

In fairness, I thought we held them up well in the 2nd and 3rd, but you never know if that is because Nthmond were in conservation mode. If they were conserving then we must be treated with disdain at AFL level!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115
Geez we’re soft at times
And dumb.
How many times when defending do we go to the wrong side of the contest?
At least Newman gets the basics
You have to be kidding we were soft ,I dont know what game you were  watching  .We played a team that was favorite to win the grand final last year ,we had 6 new players of which 2 hadnt player for a year.Apart from  2 x  5minute spells in the 1st qtr and 4th  qtr we were in the game . Charlie sadly had  a bad game ,give the guy a break it was the first game of the year ,lets see what  happens in the next 7 rounds  Give the team some credit ,we sound like Richmond supporters  

Reply #116
IMO, Bolton is a coach in the Clarkson / Neil Craig mold, with a preference for systems, possession footy, hitting up a loose man etc. I don't think the Ratten / Dimma freewheeling approach is his thing. Whether this is ideological, or he doesn't trust himself or the team, I don't know. 

Like any style / game plan, it looks great when it comes off, awful when it doesn't.

Reply #117
You have to be kidding we were soft ,I dont know what game you were  watching  .We played a team that was favorite to win the grand final last year ,we had 6 new players of which 2 hadnt player for a year.Apart from  2 x  5minute spells in the 1st qtr and 4th  qtr we were in the game . Charlie sadly had  a bad game ,give the guy a break it was the first game of the year ,lets see what  happens in the next 7 rounds  Give the team some credit ,we sound like Richmond supporters

I thought we were hard at the football but easy to play against if that makes sense.

Primarily because we lacked aggression at the opponent. We suffered because the likes of Nankervis, Grimes, Balta and Riewoldt were focused on taking our players out of the contest and we had nobody responding in kind.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118

Charlie might have been expecting the ball to come to him, but even when it did, he couldnt take a grab.
Probably the worst game Ive seen from CC. Willing to forgive him a bit given his potential, but he is going to have to start taking his game to the next level. 22yrs old, has showed what he is capable of in brief spurts, but the excitement needs to translate into form and consistency.

Reply #119
IMO, Bolton is a coach in the Clarkson / Neil Craig mold, with a preference for systems, possession footy, hitting up a loose man etc. I don't think the Ratten / Dimma freewheeling approach is his thing. Whether this is ideological, or he doesn't trust himself or the team, I don't know. 

Like any style / game plan, it looks great when it comes off, awful when it doesn't.

I don't think we have the foot skills for the free-wheeling game style, which probably means we are even more likely to lose shoot-outs.

What did you think of Plowman's first game back from long term injury, I thought his lack of pace was showed up last night? To me it's a big concern in the absence of Docherty because none of the replacements are real quick as such!
The Force Awakens!