Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24362 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #165
Jones took him to the cleaners thats for sure. Weiters also had the better of the GC Millionaire also IMO.
As for Charlie, I would have given him in run the ruck to try and get into the game. Probably a stupid idea but the way he is playing at the moment, I surely couldnt hurt.
The Fox boys want Jones hung drawn and quartered!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #166
I thought Weeters showed smarts and poise in heavy traffic last night.   One day we will be able to play him in his preferred position and we might see how good he can be. Gorilla-minding fullback isn't his go.

He was ok and more assured than last season..though if Lynch had stuck another couple of those marks and ended up with a bag of five it might not have looked so good for him.
Be interesting how he goes vs Port who are missing Dixon and his likely opponent maybe Jack Watts...I'd expect our man to subdue Watts who is under the pump more than most this season given his poor last season and his off field activities.

Reply #167
Probably repeating a lot of what has been said earlier (which I haven't read all of) but yes, disappointing to fight back and then fall away again but plenty of good signs .....they were the best side last year right up until their loss in the prelim. final and you add in Lynch...we finished dead last with two wins. Patches of the game showed that at our best we can be very competitive. But again, how many times do poor skills absolutely crucify us?

Positives: Walsh, Fisher, Newman, Setterfield. McGovern started poorly but worked his way into the game. McKay a bit the same. And Cripps is a colossus for us and 2, if not 3, Brownlow votes for mine last night. Phillips is very competitive in the ruck but was killed around the ground by Nankervis and that's where we miss Kreuzer.

Negatives: Charlie had an absolute shocker...fumbled, looked slow and lost count of how many marks he dropped. Garlett...why are we trying to convert him to a defender? He doesn't have any defensive aspects to his game at all. Saw him do it countless times in the JLT and again last night where he goes up into a pack for a mark or spoil and ball spills over the back to his direct opponent. Fasolo was poor but it was worth the punt IMO....he'll only get better.

The Mckay shot in the 3rd where he hit the post when we were within about 15 points was crucial. It would've given us more momentum and maybe we might've cashed in more on the absence of Rance.

I think we should look at replacing Garlett in defence with SPS and try Garlett on a wing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #168
I think we should look at replacing Garlett in defence with SPS and try Garlett on a wing.
I think that SPS in defence would be a waste. One of the few who can deliver the ball consistently. Happy to get rid of Garlett. What about Kennedy? What's happened to him? Last year he was the great white hope. Now he's a nowhere man.

Reply #169
SPS in defence? Maybe at the NB's. Im over him TBH.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #170
Petrevski-Seton looks to have got fitter and quicker and his disposal is a lot better....would be a waste taking him out of the middle. I just think with Newman, Simpson and Thomas playing back along with Plowman, Garlett is a liability. If his job isn't to shut a bloke down (which he's no good at anyway), then if he's only getting the ball a dozen or so times in a game he has to be absolutely spot on with it when he gets it...and he's not. I know none of the blokes I've listed have got that breakaway pace but that's not much use if you don't do anything with it.

Reply #171
Divisive player is SPS... Playing on ball looks like he could be anything,   but nothing comes of those stylish possessions.   I think he needs a defined role to stop him drifting through games.   I reckon he is perfect as that player exiting D50 with his evasive skills and kicking.  And he's a good tackler when he can be arsed ( he gave up a few times last night).

KISS... When they have the ball you tackle the bloke next to you... When we have it,  run and carry to your heart's content.   Andrew MacLeod was the best I've ever seen in that role,  and this bloke could be just as good.   But as a midfielder....far from convinced.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #172
Divisive player is SPS... Playing on ball looks like he could be anything,   but nothing comes of those stylish possessions.   I think he needs a defined role to stop him drifting through games.   I reckon he is perfect as that player exiting D50 with his evasive skills and kicking.  And he's a good tackler when he can be arsed ( he gave up a few times last night).

KISS... When they have the ball you tackle the bloke next to you... When we have it,  run and carry to your heart's content.   Andrew MacLeod was the best I've ever seen in that role,  and this bloke could be just as good.   But as a midfielder....far from convinced.

I don't think his disposals around the middle are always that damaging either - too many of the short dolly variety for my taste. I like to see what he could do exiting D50 also and his tackling can be very good, as you say, when he can be arsed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #173
He was hilarious the other week when he said there is a massive drug problem with today's footballers but there was no problem when he played which was 18 months prior.

I'm thinking tools, sharpness, tool sheds not his thing.... ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #174
 I thought SPS was our best user of the ball.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #175
I thought SPS was our best user of the ball.
At 61.1% DE? As I said I am over him. At one stage in the 1st qtr I think, SPS and Garlett approached the footy on the ground and they both appeared to slow right up and look at the ball, look at each other before one picked it up. For mine that was a good look. Look I don't know what his role is, I'm just a mug observer from over the fence. But to me, his role certainly doesnt involve:
- Body contact
- Picking up a man
- Putting his nose over the footy
- Tackle an opponent
Loves to guard space, lots of it in fact. Pretty good at it too.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #176
The Fox boys want Jones hung drawn and quartered!
I have no idea as to why, considering what Riewoldt was doing to him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #177
Well done Fly, you got one right ????????????

pre game thread, Flyboy77 said:
“The last 4 clashes with the Tigers...

1. We would have 1 or 2 poor quarters.
2. We get overrun in the last quarter (young blokes getting tired).

Will the trend stop tonight?”

I think that can pretty much be said about any of our games over the past however many years, unfortunately.

Reply #179
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/he-went-berserk-how-vicious-mcg-brawl-started-with-free-kick-decision-20190322-p516qg.html

gotta love the Tigers faithful.....

I saw that and a seperate one where there was a picture of Eddie Maguire who was talking on TV and a tigers supporter was mooning in the background.

They're all class.

edit