Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 16: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Ikon Park (Read 17059 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 16: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Ikon Park

Reply #30
Why???  He's not ready!!  Play Jones before him or even Everitt that's why they are there.  To allow the kids to develop. He kick one of his goals from a contested mark, the others were gimmies.

Of course he'll play this year. You can bet he'll experience senior footy before the year's out to give him a taste and a bit of experience. At that time of the year it's not going to exactly hurt anything. He'll play against Brisbane or Essendon.

Reply #31
How did development boys go?

Cunningham didn't light up the park, I thought Rainbow showed a bit, McKay was ok (lacked a tank to be expected) but he's tall and with some meat on him, he'll be good, the big American was not out of place (kicked a crunch goal) Gowerscwas solid again and should be given a chance of a place becomes available. KJ looked like he belonged this week, so maybe this is his level??

Reply #32
Clen Smith didn't really impress.

Reply #33
Cunningham didn't light up the park, I thought Rainbow showed a bit, McKay was ok (lacked a tank to be expected) but he's tall and with some meat on him, he'll be good, the big American was not out of place (kicked a crunch goal) Gowerscwas solid again and should be given a chance of a place becomes available. KJ looked like he belonged this week, so maybe this is his level??

Some talls take longer than others, which is probably Jaksch case. If talls are playing good VFL footy they often take the step eventually. He'll find a niche in defence eventually. Then as he further develops he'll be a player who we can swing forward if needed.

Reply #34
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   4.3  6.4  8.8  11.11 (77)
Footscray Bulldogs   1.5  3.7  5.9  10.11 (71)

I gather it was pretty windy and one end had the advantage. Still, we were in front all day, except for a moment or 2 in the last quarter. In the circumstances, it was an excellent result!
Just hope the guys at the ground can thaw out before next week's game. :)

GOALS: L. Jones 3, McKay 3, Jaksch 2, Korcheck, Kerbatieh, Declase.

I think Liam Jones has to get a call up for next week going on this.

DISPOSALS: Whiley 31, Wilson 28, Tutt 28, Dick 24, Everitt 20, Strachan 19.

Good to see Everitt getting something of the ball. He does seem to fire up against the Dogs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   4.3  6.4  8.8  11.11 (77)
Footscray Bulldogs   1.5  3.7  5.9  10.11 (71)

I gather it was pretty windy and one end had the advantage. Still, we were in front all day, except for a moment or 2 in the last quarter. In the circumstances, it was an excellent result!
Just hope the guys at the ground can thaw out before next week's game. :)

GOALS: L. Jones 3, McKay 3, Jaksch 2, Korcheck, Kerbatieh, Declase.

I think Liam Jones has to get a call up for next week going on this.

DISPOSALS: Whiley 31, Wilson 28, Tutt 28, Dick 24, Everitt 20, Strachan 19.

Good to see Everitt getting something of the ball. He does seem to fire up against the Dogs.

If Jones is in it has to be as a 2nd key forward. If he plays as the only one he'll struggle like the others.

Reply #36
Clen Smith didn't really impress.
I'm afraid Clem is definitely not going to be with us next year. I guess he was something of a speculative pick, but we don't seem to do well out of those sort of picks any more.
We need to replace him with a REAL small forward.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
I'm afraid Clem is definitely not going to be with us next year. I guess he was something of a speculative pick, but we don't seem to do well out of those sort of picks any more.
We need to replace him with a REAL small forward.

I don't think we've done well out of speculative picks ever.

Reply #39
If Jones is in it has to be as a 2nd key forward. If he plays as the only one he'll struggle like the others.
Yes. he needs to come in for Charlie Curnow, so that there will be 2 marking forwards. Then we have to get Levi back into some sort of form and confidence. Not sure how we are going to do that in 7 days. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
I don't think we've done well out of speculative picks ever.
There was a time when we were pretty good at it. Guys like Houlihan and Hammill were excellent late picks. However, since we institutionalized the idea under WH, we lost the knack. We had a decade of failure with that type of pick, especially when our last pick was still in the 30's. I wanted us to get Swallow, who went well after our last pick that year. Any guesses as to who we actually selected? I'll give you a hint: his old man played for a couple of clubs including Richmond.
I could Raso: his pick was very late. Others.....

That sort of ide did not seem to be part of the Silvagni lexicon: we didn't have a live pick later than the 20's, and the one we did have was Jack Silvagni. After a decade of missing out, I could live with that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #41
There was a time when we were pretty good at it. Guys like Houlihan and Hammill were excellent late picks. However, since we institutionalized the idea under WH, we lost the knack. We had a decade of failure with that type of pick, especially when our last pick was still in the 30's. I wanted us to get Swallow, who went well after our last pick that year. Any guesses as to who we actually selected? I'll give you a hint: his old man played for a couple of clubs including Richmond.
I could Raso: his pick was very late. Others.....

That sort of ide did not seem to be part of the Silvagni lexicon: we didn't have a live pick later than the 20's, and the one we did have was Jack Silvagni. After a decade of missing out, I could live with that.

Yes, good point.

Reply #42
Of course he'll play this year. You can bet he'll experience senior footy before the year's out to give him a taste and a bit of experience. At that time of the year it's not going to exactly hurt anything. He'll play against Brisbane or Essendon.

IIRC - In J Waite's first season, he was the only player on the list who did not play a senior game - because he was not ready. That sort of judgement should apply here.

Reply #43
IIRC - In J Waite's first season, he was the only player on the list who did not play a senior game - because he was not ready. That sort of judgement should apply here.

X2

Reply #44

I believe they made a promise to his dad at the time that they wouldn't play him no matter what happened that year.

That differs to what Bolton said in the pre-season this year...."There is no ceiling on what you can achieve this year. If that is to play senior football, then so be it"