Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Pre Game Investigations: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 16996 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Pre Game Investigations: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #15
What season?  This is just another preseason game before we play the Tigers in Rd 1.  That's been the case for a while.  And from that perspective, things are rosy.  We're batting 4/4 with the new boys and perhaps Mackay might play this week and show all 5 picks were worthy.

Reply #16
Nice way to look at it Mav summer is just an extended bye, does feel like it has been a "lets check out various structures" type of year. The culling in a few weeks will be the summation of the season . Lets hope we have learnt a few things which will lead us to the promised land

Reply #17
Nice way to look at it Mav summer is just an extended bye, does feel like it has been a "lets check out various structures" type of year. The culling in a few weeks will be the summation of the season . Lets hope we have learnt a few things which will lead us to the promised land

Yep, I'm really looking forward to the trade/drafts. Let's hope that this optimism is eventually justified.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
Me too Cookie , getting used to the turn over days, but last year we did manage to unearth a few nuggets.
Expecting 9-11 to go I think, might be a few surprises , would also depend on who we have lined up. Let the Navy Andrew Thread be full of good old fashion rumors again

Reply #19
I'd say unfortunately we may not get a chance to play McKay uness they decide to give Jones or Casboult a rest, most likely to be Jones...Or bring in McKay for Everitt and decide to let Silvagni have another week out. He's got the whole summer to rest though!  ;)

Though, if young Silvagni is ok to play he'd be a definite to bring in for mine, for Everitt.

Or, maybe go with one genuine ruck this week (though both did well against Gawn).

Keep Graham in. Kerridge has been so-so anyway.

Thomas will get a gig for his 200th.

Silvagni in for Everitt (a given)
Mckay in for Wright (seems tired and deserves a break now)
Like to see Rainbow come in (unless he has been stamped) could come in for Army
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #20

Maybe Everitt did enough to be retained, so did Wright. But I agree about Wright so perhaps SOJ in for Wright and we get to see what SOJ can do without having a KPD to deal with?

In any case, there is nothing for a player of Wright's vintage to gain from playing in dead rubbers, but Everitt might be playing for his career!

Cannot see DVR or McKay getting a run in the last game of the year, but you never know!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21

Jack will be in for Everett I reckon, But neither Wright or Armfield will be dropped.

As for Wright needing break. . . . He will get a few weeks off after the final siren.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #22
Jack will be in for Everett I reckon, But neither Wright or Armfield will be dropped.

As for Wright needing break. . . . He will get a few weeks off after the final siren.
I think when we strung those wins together, Wright was proving to be a real goal sneak when playing close to home. Since Murph has gone out, Wright has been forced further up the ground and into the midfield at times and we have lost that goal sneak element. next year, I want to see him and Sumner (assuming he gets fit from a solid PS) as our front and centre little fellas in the fwd line. Wright in particular is a terrific kick for goal so he should be used in that capacity in my opinion.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
I think when we strung those wins together, Wright was proving to be a real goal sneak when playing close to home. Since Murph has gone out, Wright has been forced further up the ground and into the midfield at times and we have lost that goal sneak element. next year, I want to see him and Sumner (assuming he gets fit from a solid PS) as our front and centre little fellas in the fwd line. Wright in particular is a terrific kick for goal so he should be used in that capacity in my opinion.
Great points and agree Wright and Sumner could be great goal sneaks. What to do with Army then? And what is Dylan's best position. I say wing as he can use his pace and goal sense.
Still think we need another big body fwd. Can't pile too much expectation on the 3 young ones we have (SoS, CC & Harry). If they keep Levi and Jones they have proven to be unreliable so we def need another certain starter who can have influence. I notice my man James Stewart took 14 marks and booted 8.3 from 23 touches in the GWS reserves' 139-point win over the Brisbane Lions...
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #24
Great points and agree Wright and Sumner could be great goal sneaks. What to do with Army then? And what is Dylan's best position. I say wing as he can use his pace and goal sense.
Still think we need another big body fwd. Can't pile too much expectation on the 3 young ones we have (SoS, CC & Harry). If they keep Levi and Jones they have proven to be unreliable so we def need another certain starter who can have influence. I notice my man James Stewart took 14 marks and booted 8.3 from 23 touches in the GWS reserves' 139-point win over the Brisbane Lions...

Pratty and I both support the James Stewart recruiting theme, be a very good get but there are other clubs interested ......Wright wont be rested and as suggested is a terrific kick for goal and a very reliable player allround...not many players can play decent footy forward and also take their place in the midfield rotations and give you some value.

Reply #25
I can't really see McKay getting a run this week; I don't think he's ready and both Jones and Casboult did more than enough to keep their places.

Curnow is out with a crook knee and I suspect that Kerridge will come back in to the midfield.  SOJ will only play if he is over his fatigue/general soreness.  If he is OK, I suspect that it will be at Sumner's expense.  Graham did OK and we need him in the midfield rotations.  Everitt played on the wing and I thought he was OK for the first three quarters.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
I can't really see McKay getting a run this week; I don't think he's ready and both Jones and Casboult did more than enough to keep their places.

Curnow is out with a crook knee and I suspect that Kerridge will come back in to the midfield.  SOJ will only play if he is over his fatigue/general soreness.  If he is OK, I suspect that it will be at Sumner's expense.  Graham did OK and we need him in the midfield rotations.  Everitt played on the wing and I thought he was OK for the first three quarters.

Like to see McKay get a run as the experience would be invaluable but, yes, you'd literally have to squash him in. The only way would be to drop a ruckman and play Casboult as a genuine 2nd ruck. As much as i'd like to drop a ruckman, as we usually struggle playing two, which has been a failure most of the year, they did play well last week and deserves another run. So doubt McKay will get a look in.

Reply #27
Don't have a link but got this quote from  a Carlton Facebook supporters page.....

"Teenage key forward Harry McKay is likely to make his AFL debut against Essendon on Saturday after an impressive display for the Northern Blues at Ikon Park last Saturday. If McKay, the No. 10 pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft, plays it will mean all of the Blues' 2015 draftees have been given a chance at the elite level this season. McKay, who was sidelined for the first half of the season with a stress fracture in his back, moved well despite having limited opportunities against Williamstown and kicked a goal. Jason Tutt was outstanding, gathering a team-high 32 touches. - Howard Kotton"

Reply #28
Don't have a link but got this quote from  a Carlton Facebook supporters page.....

"Teenage key forward Harry McKay is likely to make his AFL debut against Essendon on Saturday after an impressive display for the Northern Blues at Ikon Park last Saturday. If McKay, the No. 10 pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft, plays it will mean all of the Blues' 2015 draftees have been given a chance at the elite level this season. McKay, who was sidelined for the first half of the season with a stress fracture in his back, moved well despite having limited opportunities against Williamstown and kicked a goal. Jason Tutt was outstanding, gathering a team-high 32 touches. - Howard Kotton"
That would be really good for the kid.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
C'mon, Match Committee, you know it makes sense! Just do it!