Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Bob Hawke (Read 4286 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Bob Hawke

Reply #1
I actually spoke about him earlier today and someone said he was not doing well.....not too well at all.  :-[

As Aussie icon and all round top bloke.

Reply #2
RIP Bob

RIP Scomo
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
RIP Bob  :(

RIP Scomo  :))

Sad news indeed.  RIP Bob.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
We have lost a great Australian.

RIP Bob.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #5
Very saddening news. RIP.
Reality always wins in the end.

Bob Hawke

Reply #6
What I loved about Bob Hawke, more than anything, was that he loved Australia and all Aussies and everything about our nation. It was often his criticism of Keating, that he didn't LOVE Australia. And he was extremely intelligent with a very low tolerance for fools in the media.

The quality of political leaders in our country, IMHO, has declined... badly.

R.I.P. Hawkey, you were a bloody rip-snorter mate.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: Bob Hawke

Reply #8
What I loved about Bob Hawke, more than anything, was that he loved Australia and all Aussies and everything about our nation. It was often his criticism of Keating, that he didn't LOVE Australia. And he was extremely intelligent with a very low tolerance for fools in the media.

The quality of political leaders in our country, IMHO, has declined... badly.

R.I.P. Hawkey, you were a bloody rip-snorter mate.
Perfectly put Baggers. If only we had leaders of his ilk today, sadly they are all a joke. Shorten or ScoMo wouldn't carry Bob's esky. A loveable larrikin God love him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMa0j5A3nWw
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Met him a couple of times. Great bloke, had time for you.

Interesting, he was barely taller than our coach. He got up past my chest and that was it.

Reply #10
Mixed feelings about Hawke. I felt as though he gave Keating’s neo-liberal agenda a leftie sheen which it didn’t deserve. He seemed affable enough, but his hobnobbing with Holmes à Court and Bond never sat well with me, especially for an ex-union boss. Great Labor politicians of the past (Chifley, Whitlam, JJ Cahill) would be turning in their graves. And the way he treated his ex wife after he took up with Blanche was pretty poor IMO. His daughter had to come out and publicly defend Hazel from accusations that she was a gold digger, accusations that were never countered by Hawke himself.

Given the fairly low political standards under which we currently live, it may seem churlish to pan him, but I’m only a partial fan.

Reply #11
Mixed feelings about Hawke. I felt as though he gave Keating’s neo-liberal agenda a leftie sheen which it didn’t deserve. He seemed affable enough, but his hobnobbing with Holmes à Court and Bond never sat well with me, especially for an ex-union boss. Great Labor politicians of the past (Chifley, Whitlam, JJ Cahill) would be turning in their graves. And the way he treated his ex wife after he took up with Blanche was pretty poor IMO. His daughter had to come out and publicly defend Hazel from accusations that she was a gold digger, accusations that were never countered by Hawke himself.

Given the fairly low political standards under which we currently live, it may seem churlish to pan him, but I’m only a partial fan.
To use football parlance, his "off field" form was very ordinary at times.
As for hobnobbing with the affluent, it happens all the time and quite frankly makes the world go round. I read a couple of quotes in the small paper from him, made me stop and think about the type of bloke he was:

“Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don’t exude morality”

“The essence of power is the knowledge that what you do is going to have an effect, not just an immediate but perhaps a lifelong effect, on the happiness and wellbeing of millions of people and so I think the essence of power is to be conscious of what it can mean for others”

On how he wanted to be remembered
“As a bloke who loved his country, still does. And loves Australians and who wasn’t essentially changed by high office.

On the third one, he certainly was the same old Bob IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
@ GTC/Paul

He was no saint for sure but his off-field antics are not exactly rare within the political class. Ruthlessness, being two-faced, carefully choosing when to comment, partying etc. are all too prevalent - some just cover it up better than others. The Simon Pures of this world are a rare breed in politics.

Reply #13

Hawke was a good prime minister, as good as they can be as they all get turned into something worse when they get the job, but his treatment of his ex wife was terrible, gold digging was the domain of the replacement IMHO.

Reply #14
Hawke was a good prime minister, as good as they can be as they all get turned into something worse when they get the job, but his treatment of his ex wife was terrible, gold digging was the domain of the replacement IMHO.

And some prime ministerial candidates are the ones doing the gold digging.  ;)