Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues Practice Match Called off (Read 7683 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues Practice Match Called off

HS reporting a praccy match btw the NBs and a Brent Harvey coached North Heidelberg at Ikon Park  was called off due to safety fears. They report the game got very willing and the coaches and umpires decided to call it off as it was getting out of control. No Carlton listed players were participating.

But after a series of dangerous incidents — including one dumping tackle and a handful of aggressive acts — the match was halted at halftime.

The Northern Blues were unhappy with the level of aggression, with North Heidelberg believing it was instigated by an early tackle that saw their player concussed.

Carlton VFL coach Josh Fraser told the Herald Sun the umpires, Harvey and himself all agreed the game was getting out of control.

The game had been played in the right spirit for a pre-season hitout last year but quickly escalated as North Heidelberg tried to exert their physical dominance against a young Northern Blues side.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/northern-blues-call-off-practice-match-against-north-heidelberg/news-story/075f1b9c1d959bdce229ae9d1b592d85
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Northern Blues Practice Match Called off

Reply #1
Is that the Heidelberg that wears Hawthorn colours with blue shorts (there are three Heidelberg based sides).
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2
Is that the Heidelberg that wears Hawthorn colours with blue shorts (there are three Heidelberg based sides).
Red white and blue with a bulldog on the front.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #3
So a game full of kids, mostly VAFA and TAC tops ups for the Bullants, and Harvey's adult thugs try to go the knuckle.

Small man syndrome hard at work, let it go Brent your career is over!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Oh,  that mob.  They're renowned for going the knuckle,  pack of neanderthals.

Reply #5
So a game full of kids, mostly VAFA and TAC tops ups for the Bullants, and Harvey's adult thugs try to go the knuckle.

Small man syndrome hard at work, let it go Brent your career is over!
My understanding is that Harvey was concerned and approached Fraser.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6
Disappointing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Oh,  that mob.  They're renowned for going the knuckle,  pack of neanderthals.

They are certainly renowned for thuggery.  There have been other times when games involving them have been stopped.  There was a story that after one team refused to come out of the rooms after half-time the umpire started the second half and the team kept kicking goals to amass a big store with no opposition until one idiot kicked a behind.  As there was no full-back to kick out the game came to an end! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Reply #8
My question is why are the NB's playing these tree dwellars anyway.......cant we find another VFL team wanting similar outcomes, apart from filling up casualty at the Northern why would we be playing "Heidelberg"?

Reply #9
Played that mob in a practice match once,  they were in a different division of the old DVFL.  The supporters watching on were the most brutal I've ever experienced:eight year old kids hurling abuse a wharfie would think twice before using.

Reply #10
Heidelberg is ok, West Heidelberg,  well....

...?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
Heidelberg is ok, West Heidelberg,  well....

...?

Yep....Heidelberg the suburb is fine and I can recommend the "Old England " pub for a meal....
Heidelberg West isnt somewhere I'd visit late at night....is that cream brick police station in waterdale rd manned, never seen a copper anywhere near it?

Reply #12
The Mall isn't a a great location either.   Some interesting types frequent the Aldi across the road too.

The cops come up the hill from Jika Street EB.

Reply #13
Yep....Heidelberg the suburb is fine and I can recommend the "Old England " pub for a meal....
Heidelberg West isnt somewhere I'd visit late at night....is that cream brick police station in waterdale rd manned, never seen a copper anywhere near it?

Yes, I have eaten at the Old England a few times and that Burgundy St area and up to the station is quite pleasant. I don't go West that often these days although in my classic car days I used to get work done at places such as Neway Wheels in Waterdale Rd. Never after dark though!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Back in the day, West Heidelberg and Preston were two of the roughest, meanest suburbs around. That pub near the corner of Oriel Rd and Bell St (name escapes me, there is an Aldi there now) was insanely violent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th