Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 29940 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #210
"Carlton President Mark LoGiudice has stated that Carlton have a ‘great list’ this morning on SEN’s Whateley.

Carlton currently sit on the bottom of the ladder with just one win, and have come under fire this season for a number of poor performances...

LoGiudice, however, believes the Blues performances are not a true reflection of their playing list.

“I would say yes because I don’t think you can get any worse results than what we’ve had,” said LoGiudice on whether Carlton has bottomed out this season.

“But again, I don’t think it’s a reflection on our team.

“It’s not a reflection on the list that we’ve got.

“We’ve got a great list that we’ve built."

The above comes from the SEN website, dated July 2018. I haven't changed one word except removing reference to a hiding from St Kilda in the 2nd para.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #211
So just how good is the list? I think this really needs consideration when folks are calling for the coach's head. I keep hearing we have a great list, the players are in place, but we keep losing and playing very ordinary football, therefore it's the coach's fault. Well yes we have a lot of first round draft picks, doesn't mean they are or will become good AFL players. At the moment how many of our players would get a game for a top 8 team?

Reply #212
So just how good is the list? I think this really needs consideration when folks are calling for the coach's head. I keep hearing we have a great list, the players are in place, but we keep losing and playing very ordinary football, therefore it's the coach's fault. Well yes we have a lot of first round draft picks, doesn't mean they are or will become good AFL players. At the moment how many of our players would get a game for a top 8 team?

I think we're two quality, mature mids away - an maybe a Kreuzer replacement in the ruck...

Higgins would be massive...in the meantime teach blokes like Dow how to tackle (and kick!)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #213
Interesting tribunal findings:
i.    No fines for any of the melees which we were mostly involved in.
ii.   No sighting for Nick Newman for the massive punch in the guts to someone on the outer wing.
iii.  Luke Dunstan copped $2000 for hitting Gibbons.

The AFL website has footage of both the Gibbons and Casboult incidents (link below).
Note two things
i. Stocker not waiting for any cavalry to arrive, just came straight in and had a real crack at an 85 game player...no hesitation. Loved it (Keep that pick Adelaide, this kid has got something special)
ii. With the Casboult hit, note where Nick Newman comes from to fly the flag.
Two players new to the club, (one with 2 games experience) showing a few others how its done!!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/third-time-unlucky-ablett-banned-for-punching-sun

Reply #214
Interesting tribunal findings:
i.    No fines for any of the melees which we were mostly involved in.
ii.   No sighting for Nick Newman for the massive punch in the guts to someone on the outer wing.
iii.  Luke Dunstan copped $2000 for hitting Gibbons.

The AFL website has footage of both the Gibbons and Casboult incidents (link below).
Note two things
i. Stocker not waiting for any cavalry to arrive, just came straight in and had a real crack at an 85 game player...no hesitation. Loved it (Keep that pick Adelaide, this kid has got something special)
ii. With the Casboult hit, note where Nick Newman comes from to fly the flag.
Two players new to the club, (one with 2 games experience) showing a few others how its done!!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/third-time-unlucky-ablett-banned-for-punching-sun

Agreed wholeheartedly, Stocker will become a bloody good player, maybe more.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #215

It's a pretty good question.
In the "Pick your best 22 thread" ...20 of my 22 played yesterday.
I don't think the list is as flash as some seem to think.

Heaven help us if we have a run of injuries.
We lack depth, and if for any reason Cripps wasn't playing we wouldn't be very special at all. ( That's a moderate way of saying  "in deep strife"...because we're not special now.)

That's not to say that some of the youngsters won't develop into very good players, but some of them are also long way off.

Reply #216

Assessing the quality of our list is difficult.

Sides doing well seem to have plenty of good players but no matter how badly you're doing, many appear to not be up to it. Pretty ordinary players seem much better in say a Fluffy Ducks or Dawks environment. Sadly, potentially good players can look ordinary playing for a club with a poor culture/discipline.

In our one winning game for the year (thank you Dishlickers for having a down day), SPS, for example, looked a million bucks but in a pressure game you'd think he's playing with the flu - he's not the only one. It's more than reasonable to assume that a strong culture brings out the best in players and a p1ss weak culture ruins development and makes the good seem less than average.

Reply #217
There's no major issue with the list.

There's no major problem with the coaching from what I can see as we seem to make mistakes more than play a poor game plan (if that makes sense).

All of it is simply a matter of time.

Most of our best 22 just need a few more pre seasons, and it would be of benefit if our over 100 games would stop breaking down.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #218
Agreed wholeheartedly, Stocker will become a bloody good player, maybe more.

You can just see his strong character on the field. Reckon SOS has picked up a ripper here. Few other blokes could learn from him re mongrel at the contest.

Reply #219
Assessing the quality of our list is difficult.

Sides doing well seem to have plenty of good players but no matter how badly you're doing, many appear to not be up to it. Pretty ordinary players seem much better in say a Fluffy Ducks or Dawks environment. Sadly, potentially good players can look ordinary playing for a club with a poor culture/discipline.

In our one winning game for the year (thank you Dishlickers for having a down day), SPS, for example, looked a million bucks but in a pressure game you'd think he's playing with the flu - he's not the only one. It's more than reasonable to assume that a strong culture brings out the best in players and a p1ss weak culture ruins development and makes the good seem less than average.

The key word there Baggers is probably' pressure'.
When a side applies real pressure to us things that looked easy will often become difficult and things fall apart, especially skills.

Reply #220

There's no major problem with the coaching from what I can see as we seem to make mistakes more than play a poor game plan (if that makes sense).

Most of our best 22 just need a few more pre seasons, and it would be of benefit if our over 100 games would stop breaking down.

Isn't that just a guess though?
Who knows how these kids are going to develop?
Dylan Buckley and Troy Menzel were rising star nominations.....gone from the list now.
Is there strong evidence that our development is any better, you could have mounted an argument for that a few weeks back....but it's looking a bit shaky now.
Some will surely improve with games...others will never make it.

Reply #221
The key word there Baggers is probably' pressure'.
When a side applies real pressure to us things that looked easy will often become difficult and things fall apart, especially skills.

Yep. That's been my knock on us for over a year now... we just go to water under real pressure, almost to a man.

Reply #222
This is only home and away pressure. If we ever play finals again that's a whole new level

Reply #223

Yep. Our approach has probably been found wanting in some of the more mature players we recruited. Lamb, palmer, kerridge and a few others would have ideally been of more service.  But there are not a lot of options or spare afl level footballers sitting around unemployed so we gave been handicapped there.

As you say, game plan is sound, albeit a challenging one.  Just will take time for the players to put it together.

Reply #224

They also need to be soooo much better than 4 wins from 42, 1-9 and bottom of the ladder 4th year. If it hasn't started a run up the ladder yet it's not happening. All but about 4 players have been on lists 3 years or more and on the bottom so that is no excuse to be as bad as we are.