Skip to main content
Topic: By 8 o'clock tonight who will we all be talking about and why? (Read 11365 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: By 8 o'clock tonight who will we all be talking about and why?

Reply #16
Lucas. 33 touches and four goal through the midfield.

Yes mate - You'll be calling yourself PassIt2Sugar by the end of the year...

Did a good impression of the invisible man for most of the game and let someone walk through his tackle late in the game that set up a North goal to bring them back to 1 point down.

Reply #17

Did a good impression of the invisible man for most of the game and let someone walk through his tackle late in the game that set up a North goal to bring them back to 1 point down.

That's my boy!  >:(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18

That's my boy!  >:(

I will be amazed if Lucas dons the Navy Blue again... ever. Easily our worst today. Soft. Recruiting mistake of epic proportions...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Andrejs Everitt.

Surprised the hell outa me.

Watson and Wood also showed promise in vital roles.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #20
Everitt is probably nearest the pin as an answer to the question of this thread. He played a great 1st half and helped to set us up and showed some really good signs.

I was pleased with Buckleys game though. I thought he fought hard and made the most of his opportunities. More opportunities to grow and mature will help him grow into his game and role.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #21
For me the big winners from todays game were...
Everitt
Wood
Buckley

I expected all to be making up the numbers somewhat but all 3 showed they belong. Everitt probably had the runs on the board already, but there is still the uncertainty of how he would fit in with our structure. He can fit in wherever we need him.

Wood i thought would be a good pickup considering the price we paid for him. However he appeared to be an upgrade around the ground on what our current/previous rucks give us. His 3 marks with 1 contested is better than the career average of both Kreuzer and Warnock. In fact based on stats, Wood is the best marker of the lot. Has a better shot at goal percentage too. Could he do the unthinkable and work his way into the side ahead of one of our other high profile ruckmen?  :o

Then we come to Buckley. What i saw from him today was pure football nous. He is not an athlete that has been taught how to kick. He is a footballer. He knows where to be, and where to put the football to advantage his teammates. He knows how to work in tight spaces, both with and without the football. He has leg speed. He has aggression and a good tackling technique. He might only be slight compared to your average AFL player, but he knows how to play the game. Don't think he can force his way into the starting lineup, but a more than adequate backup adding much needed depth.

Reply #22
Then we come to Buckley. What i saw from him today was pure football nous. He is not an athlete that has been taught how to kick. He is a footballer. He knows where to be, and where to put the football to advantage his teammates. He knows how to work in tight spaces, both with and without the football. He has leg speed. He has aggression and a good tackling technique. He might only be slight compared to your average AFL player, but he knows how to play the game. Don't think he can force his way into the starting lineup, but a more than adequate backup adding much needed depth.

And can still improve. The lack of size and/or power will mean he will have to be exceptional to make it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
I wanted Everitt and he didnt let me down but he does need the right matchups...he wont make it as a KP but as a third tall either down forward/back or on the wing he will be value as his skill level is good and you dont get many 6'4 flankers or wingers and he will always have a size advantage.

Buckley was good.....good because he contested well, survived the physical stuff and got off the deck quickly and back into play, very promising start to the season.

Bell.....attacked the footy well and his big frame was very handy, faded a bit in the second half and had the odd Bower moment where he went handpass happy but having his big body around the ball has other players looking over their shoulder.

Cripps...did some nice stuff in close and shows he has some nous...

Media gave Rowe plaudits for his work on Petrie...I wasnt so impressed and he also fell over a couple of times when he should have kept his feet but he did have a go.

Brock....real good, continued his consistent form, if he played Test cricket he would be your Peter Siddle, line and length and bowling into the wind doing the hard yakka.
Lance Romance can continue his bragging rights with Brock and he looks  set for another good season.

McInnes....disposal issues worry me...

Davey Ellard...handy in the last minutes of the game witha nice setup for Cameron Wood.

Cameron Wood....promising as he can take  mark but will be smashed in the ruck if he continues to play from behind from boundary throw ins....when you are 204cm you need front position.

Waite got well beat by Joel Tippett....Pratty's man looks the goods and Nth found an instant replacement for Delaney., no big deal though as Waite looked short of gallop and was there just to get some fitness.

Gibbs....looking like a " prospect" from Sons of Anarchy but was handy only IMO.

Lucas....lets hope the new recruiter can trade him for something useful.....continues to lack the physicality required to make it at senior level and has fallen way behind some of our new young kids.
Needs an injection of whoop ar$e to get some mongrel and intensity into his game....

Reply #25
Was I the only one that Thought Buckley Fumbled under pressue 3-4 times... Dropped a handball off his chest, dropped a mark from Yarran and panicked trying to handball it back to him...

What exactly were we impressed about..

Note: i only watched the game fleetingly, not a lot of interest in this format or Pre-season. Wood and Watson looked great what I saw.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #26
I wanted Everitt and he didnt let me down but he does need the right matchups...he wont make it as a KP but as a third tall either down forward/back or on the wing he will be value as his skill level is good and you dont get many 6'4 flankers or wingers and he will always have a size advantage.

We are in accord.

For me it is looking like a Waite, Hendo / Everitt, Watson / Rowe and Jammo spine with 206 and SpecialK dedicated ruck options.

Waite and Everitt have such versatility, mobility and are good overhead you cannot put an average slow tall or fast small on them. If they are in defense they can both run off the average tall, if they are in attack they can mark over most medium sized defenders. They will attract blokes like Gibson and Hodge as defenders, and opposition will have to find defensive forwards to stand them on the HB line.

This is all good news for guys like Garlett, Menzel, Walker, Judd, McLean, Armfield, Tuohy, Murphy and Yarran who all just caught a break at either end of the ground.

If only we still had Betts he would have been set free, but I fully expect Garlett and Yarran to step up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Was I the only one that Thought Buckley Fumbled under pressue 3-4 times... Dropped a handball off his chest, dropped a mark from Yarran and panicked trying to handball it back to him...

What exactly were we impressed about..

Note: i only watched the game fleetingly, not a lot of interest in this format or Pre-season. Wood and Watson looked great what I saw.

I noticed a couple of fumbles towards the end of the game when fatigue set in, but he was very clean early on.

There was plenty of good inside work early on to let us know what we can expect from him, the latter of which you saw is the exception rather than the rule.

Reply #28
Looking at the negatives a bit (in fact a lot) Shades. What about the game saving tackle laid on Thomas that made him kick across goal and let us clear, go coast to Coast and hit Wood on the chest for his goal? What about finding the ball in traffics on several occasions, evading tackles and clearing by using football nous and speed. Dylan's commitment to staying on his man was evident by that when Thomas was in frame so was Buckley.

He was a real positive, sure he did a couple of bad things which will happen early in the season and with a young kid, but what he did well stood out as a vast improvement and an indication that he may very we'll make the grade.

Reply #29
There were definite steps taken forward there's no doubt about it. Whether he can force his way into the side is another thing altogether. Loved the dash he displayed and knew when to release the football.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!