Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67375 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #270
We need to keep getting in young top end talent like B. Silvagni seems to be but I also believe we should be getting a priority pick this year which could be used for trading in a good player like Dylan Shiels. The problem we have at the moment is that we don't have a base of players that allow the bringing in of young players in a supported and positive winning culture. The current under 25 side must be the base from which we can build decades of success. To keep building we really need to be bringing in good ready made players and not the "O'Sheas or Muttons" who are just honest triers.

Reply #271
We need to keep getting in young top end talent like B. Silvagni seems to be but I also believe we should be getting a priority pick this year which could be used for trading in a good player like Dylan Shiels.

I firmly think Shiels would be a redundant pick, we've got kids who are going to be first class mids, we need a KPF to bridge the gap KPF between now and 2021!

Have a look at this week in Casboult's absence, we'll be leaving kids at the mercy of CheatsFC stalwarts like Hooker, Hurley and Goddard. We really need someone to patrol F50 and tell the young talls where to go, metaphorically speaking, we don't want any of them to leave! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #272
I firmly think Shiels would be a redundant pick, we've got kids who are going to be first class mids, we need a KPF to bridge the gap KPF between now and 2021!

Have a look at this week in Casboult's absence, we'll be leaving kids at the mercy of CheatsFC stalwarts like Hooker, Hurley and Goddard. We really need someone to patrol F50 and tell the young talls where to go, metaphorically speaking, we don't want any of them to leave! :o
I may easily be wrong as I don't know our player payments in detail, but surely we can afford to pay overs to get Tom Lynch as a free agent and still have plenty of room to still get one or more of Sloane, Gaff or Shiel?

In season 2019 just who are we paying to come within cooee of the salary cap? Our only close to high price players could be Cripps, Docherty, Kreuzer and maybe an improving Curnow.

I'm all for the rebuild/reset, but we need to get just one or two experienced AND quality players to set the example and show the young upcoming cohort how to kick butt and take names.

Reply #273
Where did I say he'd even get a game in 2019?

:o ??? ::) ::) :-[

In 4-5 years time though, God willing, 50+

You always seem to think that recruits should get games straight away and perform at a high level, so I was just wondering what sort of expectations Ben would be subjected to ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #274
I may easily be wrong as I don't know our player payments in detail, but surely we can afford to pay overs to get Tom Lynch as a free agent and still have plenty of room to still get one or more of Sloane, Gaff or Shiel?

In season 2019 just who are we paying to come within cooee of the salary cap? Our only close to high price players could be Cripps, Docherty, Kreuzer and maybe an improving Curnow.

I'm all for the rebuild/reset, but we need to get just one or two experienced AND quality players to set the example and show the young upcoming cohort how to kick butt and take names.
Barbs Lynch (GC) is an overrated spud. I have said this before, he has only kicked a few bags against us and I wouldn't touch him with a 40ft pole. Not saying I wouldn't pay overs for a big fish, just saying he isn't the one IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #275
Barbs Lynch (GC) is an overrated spud. I have said this before, he has only kicked a few bags against us and I wouldn't touch him with a 40ft pole. Not saying I wouldn't pay overs for a big fish, just saying he isn't the one IMO.

Rumour has it Richmond have thrown 1.4 million at lynch per season.  Is doing alright for someone you're not interested in.

I actually agree with you though.  Screw the big recruit just keep building and grab the types looking to extend their career who might need a change of scenery (a Brian lake type but a forward).

Pick-up the odd delisted gem as well and go on with it.  We've got a decent looking prospect in Sam fisher playing for the Northern blues.

There's ways for us to build and we might need a few bargain basement types.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #276
Rumour has it Richmond have thrown 1.4 million at lynch per season.  Is doing alright for someone you're not interested in.

I actually agree with you though.  Screw the big recruit just keep building and grab the types looking to extend their career who might need a change of scenery (a Brian lake type but a forward).

Pick-up the odd delisted gem as well and go on with it.  We've got a decent looking prospect in Sam fisher playing for the Northern blues.

I like that Penrith fella in the NBs
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #277

Article in the HUN about the compensation we would receive if Murph decided to go via free agency at the end of this year (ie, bugger all).  Is this a possibility ?  As we've seen with Waite, he's alienated himself from the club he played most of his career at.....and for what ?.  Is chasing a premiership in the last couple of years of your career worth it ?  I don't know, that would be up to the individual I guess.  Murph certainly wouldn't benefit financially from a move to a club in premiership contention.  Could we afford to lose yet another senior player of his class for nothing ?

For mine, I hope he stays & gets the reward in the last year of his career similar to Shane Crawford !!!

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #278
As we've seen with Waite, he's alienated himself from the club he played most of his career at.....and for what ?.  Is chasing a premiership in the last couple of years of your career worth it ? 

Are you talking about Murphy here malo???

Reply #279
Are you talking about Murphy here malo???

No, he means Waite.

I can't see Murph leaving the club, unless it's due to unusual circumstances e.g he has a major falling out with the powers that be.

Reply #280
No, he means Waite.

I can't see Murph leaving the club, unless it's due to unusual circumstances e.g he has a major falling out with the powers that be.

No problems ...it could be read two ways.
I just wanted to clarify because I thought there might have been something in the Hun article suggesting an issue.

Reply #281
Article in the HUN about the compensation we would receive if Murph decided to go via free agency at the end of this year (ie, bugger all).  Is this a possibility ?  As we've seen with Waite, he's alienated himself from the club he played most of his career at.....and for what ?.  Is chasing a premiership in the last couple of years of your career worth it ?  I don't know, that would be up to the individual I guess.  Murph certainly wouldn't benefit financially from a move to a club in premiership contention.  Could we afford to lose yet another senior player of his class for nothing ?

For mine, I hope he stays & gets the reward in the last year of his career similar to Shane Crawford !!!

cheers

I got the distinct impression that Waite left purely for $s and length of contract reasons. Became a bun-fight between him and MM but that was at the heart of it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #282
Murphy is a real tricky one....  some think he is a soft, weak player and leader, others think he is an undersized ball winner who has been battered from pillar to post.

I would not begrudge him leaving as he has given everything to the club but personally I don't think he would leave given that he has a fair few credits built up for sticking with it during some awful times.  That said, coming to the end of his career, he may be looking for a sunset contract.

I would like the club to be in a position to play him in a forward pocket showcasing his smarts and ball use instead of trying to take on younger, faster mids 15-20 kg heavier.  Unfortunately that's a luxury we just can't afford.

At the end of the day he is a senior player, of which we have few, and I doubt the "compensation" would be anything like his value to the club.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #283
No, he means Waite.

yep, thanks Paul....that's the angle I was coming at
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #284
Murphy is a real tricky one....  some think he is a soft, weak player and leader, others think he is an undersized ball winner who has been battered from pillar to post.

I would not begrudge him leaving as he has given everything to the club but personally I don't think he would leave given that he has a fair few credits built up for sticking with it during some awful times.  That said, coming to the end of his career, he may be looking for a sunset contract.

I would like the club to be in a position to play him in a forward pocket showcasing his smarts and ball use instead of trying to take on younger, faster mids 15-20 kg heavier.  Unfortunately that's a luxury we just can't afford.

At the end of the day he is a senior player, of which we have few, and I doubt the "compensation" would be anything like his value to the club.

We need murphy playing a Jimmy Bartel role IMHO.

That is his best skillset.  Playing around the stoppages, but not at the coal face.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson