Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal (Read 31582 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal

Reply #225
I agree lods. But having a rule that says no contact at least makes clear the principle. If there's no rule, or a rule that allows "friendly contact" or "incidental contact", I just think it has the potential to get farcical. Are you allowed to ruffle the umpire's hair when a decision goes your way, because you're pleased with the outcome ? That's not threatening or menacing.

High Contact...free kick ;D

The  rule is still there.
Touch an umpire and it's a fine..possibly a big one depending on the contact.
At the very least, as BP says, free kick+50.

Reply #226
High Contact...free kick ;D

The  rule is still there.
Touch an umpire and it's a fine..possibly a big one depending on the contact.
At the very least, as BP says, free kick+50.

Agree with all that lods. I'm really quite embarrassed by all the nonsense of the last few days. Overkill is an understatement.

Reply #227
Agree with all that lods. I'm really quite embarrassed by all the nonsense of the last few days. Overkill is an understatement.

Yep
An awful lot of fuss for a total of a 'one' match increase in penalty.

Reply #228
We should've gone into the hearing using the classic line of 'It's the vibe of it all, it's Mabo'... would've come out grinning the other side?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #229
On Wednesday night, Geelong superstar and AFL Players' Association president Patrick Dangerfield labelled the Tribunal's decision to clear Ed Curnow of intentional umpire contact "farcical" in the wake of Cats spearhead Tom Hawkins' one-match suspension on the same charge.

Thanks Danger and good on you for looking after your fellow player in your role as pres of the players association and now defacto tribunal advisor.....

Reply #230
On Wednesday night, Geelong superstar and AFL Players' Association president Patrick Dangerfield labelled the Tribunal's decision to clear Ed Curnow of intentional umpire contact "farcical" in the wake of Cats spearhead Tom Hawkins' one-match suspension on the same charge.

Thanks Danger and good on you for looking after your fellow player in your role as pres of the players association and now defacto tribunal advisor.....

Agree EB. Commentary bans should be in place for circumstances like this. It is absolutely trial by media. Imagine the outcry if Ed gets off ?

Reply #231
Next time a cats players gets rubbed out maybe the club could tweet about the apparent leniency.....
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #232
Obviously theĆ½'re smarting from the Hawkins decision...but Geelong and it's supporters have been very vocal in driving the events of the last few days.
One to put in the "Little Black Book" for when we play them.

Reply #233
The AFLPA is supposed to represent ALL players. Do Carlton players feel they have adequate representation at the top of the AFLPA?

Reply #234
So the AFL has said you can NOT make intentional contact with an umpire.
Doesn't matter if is not forceful.
Doesn't matter if the umpire never felt threatened.
Doesn't matter if the umpire even remembers it.
Doesn't matter if the umpire thinks it is not worthy of reporting.

ANY INTENTIONAL CONTACT WITH AN UMPIRE is wrong and deserves a week.

If that is the rule. So be it. No grey area.

My counterargument....

Rules are rules AFL. Can't intentionally touch an umpire.

Reply #235

Speechless that the AFLPA President would throw a player under a bus like that. But, then, Dangerfield really is all about Dangerfield. I'd expect nothing less from such an egocentric individual. It is strongly rumoured that when Dangerfield is making love to his partner he is imagining jerking off...  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #236

Danger is working hard to earn his place in The Grand Order of Flogs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #237
Danger is working hard to earn his place in The Grand Order of Flogs.

I like Danger, but he's pushing his luck in recent times. Just let your footy do the talking and leave the gobbing off for your post football media career.

Reply #238
This series of events reminds me of the mating rituals of a female black widow spider. They mate then eat their partner.....
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #239
Well at least Ed will know from all this who he can trust and who he can't trust, ditto Charlie.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17