Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs GWS in Sydney (Read 6001 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs GWS in Sydney

Reply #31
Yes, the conference system is maintaining interest for the supporters of more teams but it’s not rewarding better performing teams.

I think it could work in the long run when the competition has settled down and become more even.  Deciding on the conferences before teams were finalised probably wasn’t the best approach.

It might be a logistical nightmare but I would prefer to see the conferences finalised after three rounds.  Of course, my ultimate preference is for each team to play every team once.

The bold is the reason for the conferences (and more teams than rounds)

Given that all clubs don't all play eachother is why there will always be speculation about who the better teams actually are.

As for the way the conferences were split, it was done pretty evenly (in theory).

1, 3, 5, 7 + North
and
2, 4, 6, 8 + Cats

You could argue that the first conference was ALWAYS going to be stronger based on that (1st > 2nd, 3rd>4th etc), but at this stage 7th is performing better than 2nd, so that theory doesn't really hold.

Its just pure bad luck that its turned out the way it has.....and people are going to lose the plot about the system due to this anomoly in its first year. We might play another 100 years and not have the same problem.

Even IF all teams play eachother once, there is still potential problems with home/away fixturing.
You might play the good teams home, and lose
and
You might play the bad teams away, and lose because of home field advantage.
Which to a mid/bottom placed team would be a nightmare. Makes their draw harder. For a top team, it might be a dream as it gives them the best chance of winning.

Same draw, different teams, different theories on whether its good or bad.

Conferences mean you just need to be better than the teams in your conference, worry about the 'others' when its finals time.

Reply #32
Harris and Stevens charged

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-18/harris-charged-with-careless-contact

Harris looking at a match

Reprimand for Stevens

AFLW, the game style and intensity, is just starting to look interesting as the girls get fitter, better skilled and stronger and they are going to stamp the interest out of it with charges for trivial contact.

As an aside, does the girl who hit the deck get a week for faking "head contact" from hit to the chest, a fake for a free which cost Harris a week? Little Georgia Gee cops head high hits like that 2 or 3 times a game when trying to tackle and doesn't even get a free kick!

Is Tayla Harris the AFLW version of Lance Franklin, Lance handed out several bumps like that to smaller players last year and hardly copped even a review! Where is the double standards coming from?

If AFLW players are going to be stung a week for that then Tayla and her ilk might just as well do a proper job!

Stevens threw her arm back so she probably has to cop the fine.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
AFLW, the game style and intensity, is just starting to look interesting as the girls get fitter, better skilled and stronger and they are going to stamp the interest out of it with charges for trivial contact.

As an aside, does the girl who hit the deck get a week for faking "head contact" from hit to the chest, a fake for a free which cost Harris a week? Little Georgia Gee cops head high hits like that 2 or 3 times a game when trying to tackle and doesn't even get a free kick!

Is Tayla Harris the AFLW version of Lance Franklin, Lance handed out several bumps like that to smaller players last year and hardly copped even a review! Where is the double standards coming from?

If AFLW players are going to be stung a week for that then Tayla and her ilk might just as well do a proper job!

Stevens threw her arm back so she probably has to cop the fine.

Are we going to fight it?
After all this is the new Carlton!
Time to start making some noise.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #35
I wouldn't.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2019-02-16/taylas-bump-knocks-giant-flat

Lance Franklin has been let off multiple times, on one occasion the AFL officials even used the size difference as a justification for not banning Lance! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I'm glad Tayla is challenging this. The charge says 'high contact' and it is dubious as to whether there is any high contact. 'Medium impact' seems fair, if not a whisker generous. If the victim of Tayla's bump says that there was no contact to her head, just her body then the charge would have to be thrown out. If she says Tayla got her in the bonce then we could only plead that she got straight back up and played on without an issue, so the impact would have to be downgraded.

But then this is a Mighty BlueBagger contesting... so I wouldn't hold my breath, but as the Spotted One said, at least we're having a dip and not curling up and sucking our thumbs like the 'old Carlton'.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
Tayla clear to play!
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-19/harris-cleared-to-play?fbclid=IwAR01VZH5fA6_LAAeUz7CgwGbP_73cd28psX6ddkGLT8dfN8VwCWy3Vu21oc
TAYLA Harris is free to line up for the Blues against Geelong on Saturday.

Harris successfully downgraded her rough conduct charge at the AFLW tribunal on Tuesday night, clearing her to play this weekend.

Reply #38
But then this is a Mighty BlueBagger contesting... so I wouldn't hold my breath, but as the Spotted One said, at least we're having a dip and not curling up and sucking our thumbs like the 'old Carlton'.

Showing some cojones in this regard will get them just as many pre-season members as winning some JLT game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Maybe, just maybe the old Empire is awakening?
A new era is upon us.... finally!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #40
Maybe, just maybe the old Empire is awakening?
A new era is upon us.... finally!

My thoughts exactly BP.
A changing of the guard.
The tide is turning etc.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.