Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match (Read 14010 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match

Reply #105
What about SOS helping Crippa in the guts (in bursts)?
- Good size
- Doesn't take a backward step
- Has worked on his tank.
- Isn't afraid to put his nose over it.

He could be another option, for sure.

Reply #106
What about SOS helping Crippa in the guts (in bursts)?
- Good size
- Doesn't take a backward step
- Has worked on his tank.
- Isn't afraid to put his nose over it.

I would be very surprised if Jack doesn’t continue to spend time in the midfield.  I guess it will depend on what’s happening with the forward line but I expect that a few of our forwards will rotate through the midfield.

Blokes with midfield time include Cripps, Murphy, E Curnow, Walsh, Setterfield, Kennedy, Gibbons, Martin, Fisher, Betts, Cuningham, Dow, O’Brien, Docherty, J Silvagni, Newnes, Simpson, Petrevski-Seton and Polson, and potential midfielders include Stocker, Kemp, Ramsay, Philp, Honey and Cottrell.

While there’s some talent and potential in that lot, there’s not a lot of size, strength or mongrel.  We could be relying on youngsters to provide the midfield grunt to ease the load on Cripps.  Even if they develop quickly, I would like to see another established mid in the mix.

Paul’s suggestion of McGovern providing midfield cameos could work well but, as with Jack, it would depend on what’s happening in the forward line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
Does anyone have an idea of what our CBA involvements looked like?

Reply #108
Setterfield Will ? Not unless he overcomes his dyslexia first.

At any rate, he seems more like an outside receiver / wingman to me, and the fact that he bears more than a passing resemblance to Ryan Houlihan (playing style and looks) can only be divine providence in my view.

The one who I think could be a real smoky as a top shelf on ball cameo player is McGovern. Despite my jibes that he loves Dave and donuts in equal measure, and despite my unfounded suspicions that he was instrumental in white anting Bolton, he is definitely a good footballer, a smart footballer, and with his size, skill and smarts he could be great in 5 or 10 minute bursts to give Cripps a rest.

As an aside, my secret wish is that Cripps edges closer and closer to Lethal as his career progresses, i.e an on baller who also kicks bags of goals. I don't think his kicking is as good as Lethal's, but he's big and strong, and a very good overhead mark. Go Crippa !!

Paul, Take your point about his potential but he averages about 14 games a season over the last three and I doubt he could
stay on the park if we threw him in at the coalface.
I think Jack Silvagni along with Setterfield are the alternatives though I agree the latter seems more comfortable on the wing
and having the odd tagging role.
Kennedy who was recruited as a mid looks better forward and lacks a bit of class vs the top line mids of the good clubs.
Part of my thinking with Cripps needing more cover is I would like to see him spend a fraction more time forward where he can  gets some goals and win us some games.

Reply #109
^^ Fair post EB. McGovern's durability is a concern. 13,12, 16 games the last 3 seasons - at least he's moving in the right direction. Would 5,10  minutes on ball every once in a while exact a heavy toll on his body ?

Reply #110
Part of my thinking with Cripps needing more cover is I would like to see him spend a fraction more time forward where he can  gets some goals and win us some games.
He's not such a reliable shot at goal though, then again who is!

AFL clubs seem to be a bit slow on the uptake, but I'd bet there are guys like Betts who would be better kicks at goal from 45° than many of our KPFs are from directly in front!

In this regard I'm not opposed to someone like Meat, SoJ or McKay passing from 40m directly in front to Betts 35m out on the 45°. The only risk then is can they hit the target with the pass! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
He's not such a reliable shot at goal though, then again who is!

AFL clubs seem to be a bit slow on the uptake, but I'd bet there are guys like Betts who would be better kicks at goal from 45° than many of our KPFs are from directly in front!

In this regard I'm not opposed to someone like Meat, SoJ or McKay passing from 40m directly in front to Betts 35m out on the 45°. The only risk then is can they hit the target with the pass! :o

Not a problem LP; it’s probably best if Eddie gathers a ground ball while running away from goal and towards the boundary.  He has more chance of slotting it from there than Meat, SoJ, Crippa or McKay have from directly in front  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #112
Does anyone have an idea of what our CBA involvements looked like?

Not sure I understand the question - do you mean how much of the TPP we've paid over the last few years ?

Reply #113
Late entrance. Saw the game on the weekend and apart from a few encouraging things, our ball use was nothing short of disgraceful. The Jones kick across half back straight to an opponent who ran into an open goal was almost funny but seasoned players like Simpson and Docherty had a few shockers too. Docherty you can cut some slack given first real competitive hit out in 2 years. Polson still doesn't looked to have improved his disposal skills even into his 3rd (or 4th?) season? He took a nice mark and then slaughtered the shot at goal.

Good signs were Martin's first half. He went hard at the ball and the man. Fisher was in an under a lot more than usual and Pittonet did a few okay things in the second half. Walsh just picked up where he finished last season and will be giving Cripps a good run for his money in the B&F this year. He is an incredible work horse in just his second year and put a lot of the more senior blokes to shame last year and in this game too.

Yes our forward line was missing 4 key players in McKay, McGovern, Charlie and Betts....but even they would've struggled give the ball coming in was all over the shop.

First practice game in a long season for sure but we hear all about how well everyone has been going in pre-season training and we turn up and put those skills on display!

Reply #114
First practice game in a long season for sure but we hear all about how well everyone has been going in pre-season training and we turn up and put those skills on display!

Trump's tweeting style and general schtick was inspired by our pre season reports.

Really it's not just us - all clubs do it, but after reading 1001 super pumped, super awesome and super great PS reports over the years, they've just become like white noise.

Apart from trades, injuries and off field scandals, there's very little in the off season that you can take to the bank. Just wait till R1 IMO.

Reply #115
Trump's tweeting style and general schtick was inspired by our pre season reports.

Really it's not just us - all clubs do it, but after reading 1001 super pumped, super awesome and super great PS reports over the years, they've just become like white noise.

Apart from trades, injuries and off field scandals, there's very little in the off season that you can take to the bank. Just wait till R1 IMO.

yep.  the game against Freo was crape, but nothing to get too concerned about.  I hope we put up a good showing against the tigers.  we have to start the season better than we have for the last 5 or so.  gotta have 2 or 3 wins under the belt by round 5.  this is who we play, none of whom will be easy -
tigers
bulldogs
bombers
swans
hawks

please, please, please, win 2 or 3 of these...

Reply #116
yep.  the game against Freo was crape, but nothing to get too concerned about.  I hope we put up a good showing against the tigers.  we have to start the season better than we have for the last 5 or so.  gotta have 2 or 3 wins under the belt by round 5.  this is who we play, none of whom will be easy -
tigers
bulldogs
bombers
swans
hawks

Yes, the hit out against the Pies was better, so it's not all bad news. Somewhat tentatively, I'd say we're a chance against the Swans and Bombers (mainly because of their injuries), but I reckon the other 3 will be tough going. 

Reply #117
re Help for Cripps.
We DID draft a Cripps clone in Brodie Kemp with our first pick. Yes, he's done a knee, but he'll come good next year.
We also finally get to see what a fit Setterfield can be. He'd just come off a knee injury when we got him. By all reports he is flying on the track. He was a former pick 5, so he can play. Hopefully we will see it.

This time next year we could have a core midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield with Kemp first change. With the help of older brigade Murphy and Curnow.

He's got help....it just needs to develop a bit more.

Of course we did go pretty hard at Coniglio....and even Papley. We tried.

Geez we are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel when 'trying' sounds as though its good enough.  Its not for me 

I don't care at all if we tried all I care about is we failed again to deliver. We are likely to stay a bottom team again this year so trying doesn't cut it for me. 

Hope you are that forgiving when Casboult sprays his first shot from 25 metres out. I can assure you he tries too. 

Reply #118
tigers
bulldogs
bombers
swans
hawks

Things is we are a bottom team and apart from GC I wouldn't go into any game pencilling in a win.

Reply #119
tigers
bulldogs
bombers
swans
hawks

Apart from Richmond, we have had wins or played/matched up very well against all those sides. 4-1 I'd be happy with :D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time