Skip to main content
Topic: Geelong Predictably Smash the Blues - Post Game (Read 29867 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Geelong Predictably Smash the Blues - Post Game

Reply #60
Dermott summed it up pre and post game. The team has no balance, good at winning the ball but poor defending on the outside due to lack of pace. The game has got much quicker in the last few years and we haven't recruited enough pace.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #61
Dermott summed it up pre and post game. The team has no balance, good at winning the ball but poor defending on the outside due to lack of pace. The game has got much quicker in the last few years and we haven't recruited enough pace.
And you can make up for pace with good disposal and good decision making but...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
We played a lot better.... and lost by almost 80 points  ???

Reply #63
Dont understand the hate for Selwood TBH. Gun footballer, inspirational leader at such a young age, hard at it, knows how to milk a free, kicks goals when they are needed and we picked Gibbs instead. Yeah I hate him also. ::)

If Curnow was doing that to one of ours we'd be crying foul.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #64
Dont understand the hate for Selwood TBH. Gun footballer, inspirational leader at such a young age, hard at it, knows how to milk a free, kicks goals when they are needed and we picked Gibbs instead. Yeah I hate him also. ::)

Hate tinged with a heavy shade of green.

Reply #65
If Curnow was doing that to one of ours we'd be crying foul.

Yeah, but how many people loved the way Franchina used to play? ;)

Judd has copped more than his fair share, it's about the time to even up the score the other way.

Reply #66

And when we have recruited such players (Kane Lucas), it never seems to work out.

Reply #67
And when we have recruited such players (Kane Lucas), it never seems to work out.

I think too many are getting sucked into the contest. There's no coordination. I think teams have learned to wait outside for us to deliver the ball to them or strip it off our outnumbered runners.

Reply #68

Run and spread was our strength under Ratten. It's all gone unfortunately.

Re: after match

Reply #69
Jesus Christ couldn't coach that mob to a win.

We are totally bereft of talent.

The only player at that club for whom I have got time and believe, provided he stays, has a future, is Patrick Cripps.

There is not one other player there that I can say is the future of this club.

How about we all be really honest here.

Walker, at the end of his career, gone.

Menzel, has ability, but turns the ball over time and again.

Got 4 cheap goals tonight. is injury prone and a decent knock and he's gone.

Murphy, without doubt, the weakest most uninspiring captain in the game. can't kick more than 40 metres and needs a gale behind him to do it. Turns the ball over time and again. Can't build a future around him.

Gibbs, the less I say the better,, and unless we get rid of him, will have to put up with the princess fort another four and a half years. can't build a future around him.

Judd, playing one year too many. great champion, but gone from a future point of view.

Simpson, plays his heart out Is at the end of his career, so can't build a future around him.

Buckley, tries hard, but is another who lacks the ability to pinpoint a pass. Is light on, and I was hoping he could be another Simpson and take over his mantle,. the jury is out.

Cripps, see above.

Warnock,  tries hard, but will be delisted at years end.

Boekhorst, they were kidding, weren't they?

Liam Jones, can take a mark, but can't kick to save his life. Just not good enough.

Sam Docherty, getting better, trying hard, but kicks terribly and is responsible for turning the ball over far too often. Must improve that part of his game because he's killing us.

Sam Rowe, watched him very closely tonight. An absolute hack. Mick said that he's been the best down in defence. The ball has been going down there that often, that he's bound to get some touches, but I saw him walk towards a contested ball that was no more than two metres away from him. No other club in the league would play him.

Kristian Jaksch needs to put on weight. Can't match it with the stronger forwards. At the moment, not good enough.

Mark Whiley, too slow, huge disappointment to me thus far.

Dennis Armfield, does three good things a game, then buggers up ten times. been the same for years. No future at the Club.

Tom Bell, tries hard, lacks pace, no Kouta, never will be. Field kicking is terrible.

Nick Graham, doesn't get a full game because he's too slow, and can't match it at AFL level. Is a two's player only. Another great pick.

Everitt. Like a boarding house cup of tea, big and weak. Looks like he's tossed the towel in.

Ed Curnow, a player with limited ability, who makes the most of it. Trys hard, but lacks pace.

Cameron Wood. A plodder.

Dale Thomas, playing half fit and injured, only about 40 % of his former self. A terrible decision to draft him knowing that he had a complete foot reconstruction.

Levi, can take a mark. Can take a mark. Can take a mark. That's where it begins and ends. Too one dimensional.

Zach Tuohy, overrated by many at the club. Can't kick left foot, and can't think to save his l
life. wasn't brought up with the game, and it shows.

David Ellard. Puulease!!

Ciaran Byrne, hopefully, when he's over his injury, will show us that he CAN be a player of the future.

Mathew Dick. Surname says it all.

Tom Fields, hasn't had a game so don't know yet. Doing O.K. in the two's but that means nothing at AFL Senior level.

Jayden Foster, who knows.

Cameron Giles, got a navicular issue, might never play.

Billy Gowers who knows.

Lachie Henderson, gone next year unless my mail is wrong. Too injury prone, anyway so won't be huge loss.

Michael Jamieson,  shoulders are stuffed and so is he.

Blaine Johnson, average.

Mathew Kruezer, out of contract, gets sore very easily. Huge issue for the club whether or not they resign him. Probably will but he's a risk.

Fraser Russel can't say so who knows.

Ciaran Sheehan, had a hip operation, hope he comes up next year, but may not.

Clem Smith, fast, but at this point in time that's where it begins and ends.

Jason Tutt  thought he was quick. He isn't and he can't tackle to save his life.

Vojo rainbow, hasn't played a game in the seniors so don't know.

Brad Walsh, playing great footy in the two's can that translate to the seniors? nedd to wait till next year.

Mathew Watson, please go, Mathew.

Simon White. Too injury prone, can't match it with the big bodied forwards.

Chris Yarran, playing angry, giving away frees, excellent trade bait.

Now, combine that with an inability to hit a target because they have deplorable kicking skills, the inability to tackle, the inability to kick straight when 30 metres directly in front of goal, a total lack of pace in the whole team, a total lack of ability to think and make the right choices during a game, it is fair to say that we are a complete rabble, and that the future is completely bleak.
 :( :( :(

Don't be so hard on Dick ;D.

Reply #70
Yeah, but how many people loved the way Franchina used to play? ;)

Judd has copped more than his fair share, it's about the time to even up the score the other way.

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong - would LOVE to see a washing machine mangle Selwood's jumper so that the colours ran and it came out with a white CFC on a navy background.

What makes my blood boil is that he has so many apologists in the media.  Juddy has been manhandled off the ball his entire career and somehow that's ignored or considered acceptable.

A bit of consistency please.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #71
Run and spread was our strength under Ratten. It's all gone unfortunately.

Prime Judd carried everyone. Before Judd we were bottom and now   he's coming to the end we are bottom again.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #72
Bottom line for me - Geelong looked like they had all the time in the world when they had the ball and could move it quickly and at will. We looked harassed and under pressure when we had it and quickly turned it over or if we eventually got it forward too often missed the shot at goal.

We put almost zero pressure on opposition teams for very long stretches of games - they are free to create, look good and kick goals. Couple that us having to work our asses off to get into F50 and then too often missing the goal - no wonder we are demoralised.

Is that the "game plan", lack of game plan,laziness/incompetence by the players or a combination of all three?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #73
I don't believe our game plan is to not chase and tackle.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #74
We played a lot better.... and lost by almost 80 points  ???
It is one of the things that frustrates me. We have been playing poorly with almost no heart and with guys playing for themselves. But last night a few guys appeared to be headed back in the right direction.
But what happens? We get smashed. And by a team definitely on the decline. GWS impressed me a LOT more than Geelong, even with Geelong having 2 very effective forwards. GWS's game plan was better, their players were quicker and they beat us at our strengths (such as they are at the moment). Judd had to play an excellent game, and we still couldn't get close.
Geelong were nothing in comparison and we played better, yet the result is as bad? I don't understand it.

Curnow smashed Selwood. Armfield smashed Motlop. Johnson didn't do much and we managed to control Clark and Hawkins much better than I feared. Simmo came back to something like form.
But could they miss? No, they could not. Their kicking for goal was perhaps the difference.
I was very unimpressed by the umpiring last night. We simply didn't need that kind of rubbish when we were no serious threat. In the 3rd quarter it was obvious that they were trying to even up the numbers, but even then the decisions were rubbish.
Live Long and Prosper!