Skip to main content
Topic: Geelong Predictably Smash the Blues - Post Game (Read 29861 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Geelong Predictably Smash the Blues - Post Game

Reply #75
 We laid our first tackle on the 5th min mark.. that says a lot about our intensity/gameplan..

I've been an observer on this website for quite sometime over the years.. we had our ups (never seemed to back it up) and a whole of lots of downs for over a year now and spiraling further unfortunately..

I'm more of that hopeful person.. I get myself pumped up each week with all the positives I can find within the team, and expect a good result, but it all goes to trash in the first few minutes of each game.. and this goes on and on each week.

There is this voice in my head that says what if this rebuild goes to shambles as well.. what then? What does this prestigious club stand for then..

Sad times ahead unfortunately.. "HOPE" is all we can do..

Go Blues!

Gokz93

Reply #76
Prime Judd carried everyone. Before Judd we were bottom and now   he's coming to the end we are bottom again.

Paradoxically, I find this idea both meritorious yet somehow overly simplistic.

Reply #77
Paradoxically, I find this idea both meritorious yet somehow overly simplistic.

So is it a co-incidence? I guess we'll never know.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #78
So is it a co-incidence? I guess we'll never know.

I don't know. Judd clearly has been our main inside /grunt work mid during his time with us. This allowed Murph, Gibbs et al to be outside runners / receivers. I guess the players have known for a while that they needed to share more of the inside workload, so now that they do more of this work, maybe it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul ? The guys that used to be more outside haven't been replaced with anyone else, or anyone good.

As my son would write, idk.

Jofo seems to think we simply have too many numbers around the ball. As he said, lack of coordination. Doesn't seem to adversely affect the Swannies or the Purple Haze........

Reply #79
Before they play the swans this week, I would have the players at training do two things only for the whole week.

Firstly, I would have them practice trying to hit a target from about 30 metres away.

Our turnovers last night were deplorable, Armfield, Simpson, Menzel with some shockers, Murphy, and others found it impossible to hit one of our players on the chest when they were not under pressure.

The second thing, goal kicking practice from 40 metres out. Jones, Menzel etc. killed us, with their crap goal kicking from set shots, and what about Curnow. yes, he did a terrific job against Selwood. But that doesn't cover up the sin of missing from 20 metres out.
You really wonder what the 6 months of training over Summer was all about.

if they could have just got those two things right last night, who knows what might have happened?.

Yes, they would have been beaten, but kick goals instead of points and reduce the margin you are behind and the confidence builds.

Hit your target instead of turning the ball over resulting in goals, and your confidence doesn't collapse.

Reply #80
We played a lot better.... and lost by almost 80 points  ???

Exactly what I said to my mate on the trip home last night......"Best we've played in a month & we still get smashed."

I seriously cannot believe how bad it has become......I am without speech.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #81
Before they play the swans this week, I would have the players at training do two things only for the whole week.
Firstly, I would have them practice trying to hit a target from about 30 metres away.

I'd get them to do that before we drafted them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #82
I'd get them to do that before we drafted them.
You know when I was watching last night, I noticed that many times, turnovers occurred when we went for options that required pin point accuracy. For mine, when you are as down on confidence as we are, its a recipe for disaster. They need to change it up a little perhaps, get them to run/spread  wider and further away from opponents (sacrifice zones and man on man) and allow the kicker to hit a "bigger" target if you like. The kicks/passes will need to be longer but we may reduce the margin for error a little. We need to un clutter the spaces if we can. We may even get hurt on the rebound but dark me, at least we just hand it over on platter. I dunno, gotta try something different.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83

There is this voice in my head that says what if this rebuild goes to shambles as well.. what then? What does this prestigious club stand for then..

Sad times ahead unfortunately.. "HOPE" is all we can do..

Go Blues!

Gokz93

Follow the Richmond plan!  ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #84
Before the game this week, I'd tell them that anyone who comes off the ground with less than 5 tackles, doesn't get paid!

Needs to be bruise filled football.

Reply #85
Before the game this week, I'd tell them that anyone who comes off the ground with less than 5 tackles, doesn't get paid!

Needs to be bruise filled football.

If you give them that option, they won't even hit the park ever again. It is a good option though. 35 tackles in a game is just not good enough. Especially as our tackles rarely spill the ball. Our tackle effectiveness is low enough to start with.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #86
"We are talking about doing those things but I suppose it comes down to each individual having a really hard look at themselves and wanting to do that,” Murphy said on Triple M.

“I’ve got to cop that on the chin because I have got to attack the ball and attack the man as ferocious as anyone because I have got to lead by example.

“Getting one of two tackles or whatever I did last night was not good enough.”

Its not rocket science Murph, it really isn't.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
"We are talking about doing those things but I suppose it comes down to each individual having a really hard look at themselves and wanting to do that,” Murphy said on Triple M.

“I’ve got to cop that on the chin because I have got to attack the ball and attack the man as ferocious as anyone because I have got to lead by example.

“Getting one of two tackles or whatever I did last night was not good enough.”

Its not rocket science Murph, it really isn't.

Talk is cheap. Work through actions. He is getting harder at his activities in his last game and does get smacked around. How about others put heir body on the line. How about every player step up and enough of this talk. Start acting for a change.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #88
Heard Gibbs interviewed on SEN. He sounds like a nice enough guy but he does not have the first idea about what the problems could be let alone how to go about fixing them - he's totally exasperated. He does not sound like he has that hard centre of a true leader and like other of our players I heard recently can only offer that they need to work harder. I fear that we also need to work a lot smarter. No use working harder if we are not working on the right issues, which I suspect we are not.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #89
The problem with these player interviews nowadays is that the players' comments are so cliched. Take it with a grain of salt.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!