Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton V North- Post match thread (Read 19005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton V North- Post match thread

Reply #45
It's a journey and we must all come to terms with that before we get too preoccupied with the destination and start looking for risky short cuts.

Like sacking coaches?
I agree entirely with your sentiments by the way, but it's only a few years since Sticks was telling there would be two more Premiership Cups in the trophy cabinet by 2016, so I'm not certain that the club hierarchy fully appreciates our plight or what steps we need to take to address it.
One thing I would suggest to them is to go over the draft with a fine tooth comb and put a line through anyone with suspect foot skills.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #46
This was a "why" game for me.

Why do we play players who are disinterested?
Why aren't our second and third efforts (apart from Kreuzer and Buckley and one or 2 others) any better than my son's under 11 team?
Why have we recruited so many players who can't kick when the name of the game is football?
Why wasn't Harvey's attempted soccer goal which went out of bounds called 'deliberate'?
Why doesn't JB play Hendo down back permanently?
Why are there 2 opposition players to our 1 at so many contests - I mean, WHERE THE HELL IS OUR MISSING PLAYER?
Why doesn't the AFL intervene to stop umpires losing concentration in 'dead' and low key matches?
Why do so many of our support staff look like they're as bewildered as the players?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #47
I thought BB was a positive from the game, shrugged off the Kane Lucas double tag. Real potential there.

What an indictment on certain blokes that even the coach sees fit to mention that we've got players that are  just going through the motions. Pity we've got so many injured players.

JB sounded really dispirited, understandably.

Agree that we probably do need fresh faces in all the coaching positions. At this stage Bolton would be my choice, he's coached his own sides to success and has a history of strong achievement.

With our culture club should never says wins aren't important. Gives our blokes a reason not to work hard, which they happily take.

Reply #48
Imagine being Kruezer and Murphy walking off the ground and looking around the rooms at guys who couldn't give a flying.......  If the coach can sense it, the players certainly would.  I dare say Hodge and Lewis would take them behind the shelter shed and explain what commitment is all about, even if you are leaving in 5 weeks. 

Time to sweep. 

Reply #49
I was just looking though the list , I think there will be many changes through retirements the delistings & the trades already being linked, so can see approx 10 -12 places happening. It's just the quality that we bring that has to change . Imagine if we could add Whiley Jones Johnson to that list , we could do

Reply #50
I'm watching Essendon vs footscray in the VFL right now and Jordan Russell could really help us right now.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
This game was another good step in the right direction. A direction which shows quite clearly that what is an issue at our club is not the bloke who sits in the senior coaches chair. Flavour of the month John Barker has shown us what will happen next year without some serious intervention.

I don't buy all this current 'injury' bollocks that has been going on.
Kreuzer is playing better than any ruckman before him.
Warnock is not missed.
Judd obviously is, but he wasn't coming back next year anyway, so it doesn't matter one way or another.
Daisy+Walker are both done for the year, both had been injured and borderline best 22 before that.
We've lost 2 irish players who are as green as green can be. Would their inclusion make us a much better side?
Gibbs is probably the only player we are missing that is clearly hurting us....but then again, he's been missing for large parts of the year as well.

So why exactly are our 'injuries' such an issue? Spin coming from the club to excuse our tanking efforts IMHO.

North are not a great side.
We are a terrible side.

In regards to an earlier post...
Carrazzo has agreed to umpire for a year in a 'lower league' before being elevated to a higher league (VFL or AFL?) with all things going well. In short, this is his last year with us.

Reply #52
Getting angry at these losses is pointless.
Its like a person buying a house knowing that its 'a renovators dream', and then constantly flipping out at the dilapidated state of the place.

We know where we are as a Club. its been reiterated to us a million times.
These losses are commonplace during periods like this.
Just look at teams like North, Richmond, the Dogs, and St Kilda at various stages over the last 5 years.

I don't care about lazy and disinterested  players like Yazz and Hendo, and plodders like Curnow, Rowe, White etc. They ll be flushed out of the Club over the next few years.

For me, knowing where we are at, I'm just enjoying watching the little glimpses into the future of Carlton. Senior boys like Murph, Simmo and Kreuz continually busting a gut, youngsters like Cripps, Doc, Buckley, and Nick G strutting their stuff, and the cameos by BB and Clemmy, are all heartening

WE ll be back. We just need to be patient. I know people will say 'we've been patient for 15 years, but look at the signs and messages coming out of the Club. It IS different this time round.
As a Club, we are much better resourced, and  Trigg, MLG, SOS and
Macca are all on the same page, and are sticking to a rebuild plan. A plan that they presented to the AFL during the week, and the AFL was satisfied with.

That is itself is certainly different then when we were down here last in the mid 00s. We are not the moneyless, planless, rudderless ship we were when we last attempted a halkf arsed rebuild under Collo/Smorgon and Den Den.

Reply #53
A couple of thoughts from last night, we actually are missing Nick Graham out there he adds something for sure. If you had said Casboult would score 21.9 at this point in the year you would have taken that in a heart beat. Steadily keeps improving.

Cripps has major issues with his goalkicking which I started to notice a while ago. He cant get any penetration in his kicks so if he is to make use of his size when pushing forward he needs to fix that because a couple of those misses last were horrendous.

Reply #54
A couple of thoughts from last night, we actually are missing Nick Graham out there he adds something for sure. If you had said Casboult would score 21.9 at this point in the year you would have taken that in a heart beat. Steadily keeps improving.

Cripps has major issues with his goalkicking which I started to notice a while ago. He cant get any penetration in his kicks so if he is to make use of his size when pushing forward he needs to fix that because a couple of those misses last were horrendous.

Cripps isnt a great field kick either...gives them a bit too much air because he leans back on them.....another student for Sav.....

Reply #55
Cripps isnt a great field kick either...gives them a bit too much air because he leans back on them.....another student for Sav.....
Absolutely. get him to kick goals with Rocca until he starts hitting them! He misses too many.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #56
Just listened to Barker's Press conference.

Unfortunately some of the questions were inaudible but the message is pretty clear

"The Carlton Football Club needs to grow a playing group that wants to play for the Carlton Football Club."

Perhaps he's not telling us anything we don't know..and some areas he could have expanded on but perhaps thought better.
In a nut shell this playing list is divided between people who are giving an effort for this club and players that have already moved on...and demonstrate that by the way they play.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-08-02/barker-laments-lack-of-grit
Barker lauded the performances of Blues skipper Marc Murphy (26 possessions and five clearances), ruckman Matthew Kreuzer, who battled valiantly against star Roos ruckman Todd Goldstein, defender Simon White and midfielder Patrick Cripps (21 and seven).

"We have some players who are digging in, rolling their sleeves up and our captain's leading from the front, but we can't do it with a handful," Barker said.

"There's a handful of players who are now just not displaying that sort of grit.

"One going through the motions is too many, but at the moment I think maybe we have ourselves a handful, which is disappointing.

"It would be nice to turn them over, but we're starting to lose some of our levers at match committee because of 14-15 who are unavailable.

"We're running out of soldiers."

I don't care if our VFL side were thrashed this afternoon, there are players, and Barker and the coaching group know who they are, who should be replaced immediately...and never wear the jumper again.

Reply #57

Yazz and to a lesser extent Hendo, both look disinterested. That's cool, if they don't want to be part of the future, then they re making SOS's job a little easier. A first round pick for each thanks lol.

If they keep showing what they have been showing, we will be lucky to get 1st round picks.

Hendo needs to play CHB to boost his trade value.

Not sure Yarran is capable of boosting his trade value.

Reply #58

Loved the energy Clem brought to the game when he came on. A summer in the gym to turn his chub into muscle, and also to improve his tank, and he ll be a little ripper I reckon.

Easy to show energy and pace against players who have played more than half a game - especially when most of his teammates are running up and down in place.

I do think he has the skills to become a player but he is a long way short of it ATM. Probably stands out at training by comparison to his many less-skilled, slower, lazy mates.

Reply #59
Interesting watching Ch Bummer on Sat (I know, oxy moron), but shots in the dressing room post game showed Gibbs talking to the boys. I did not see any sign of Daisy though. Made me wonder if he turns up to games or NB games?
Reality always wins in the end.