Skip to main content
Topic: Baby Blues vs. Essendon at Windy Hill Sunday (Read 21758 times) previous topic - next topic

Baby Blues vs. Essendon at Windy Hill Sunday

What a shocker! A 75 point thrashing.
A couple of positives: Menzel stood up and kicked a few goals. Watson played probably his best game of the year and destroyed Gumby. That may terminate the move to recruit Gumby in itself.
Otherwise....

I'm looking forward to what RR and the crew have to say.

Thank you again to Matt Lodge for his excellent coverage via Twitter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Baby Blues vs. Essendon at Windy Hill Sunday

Reply #1
Disgraceful......time for a stand alone team IMO and reckon Webster has to go.

Well done to Watson and I'd play him vs Stkilda and move Henderson forward

Reply #2
Good news about Watson, should play against the Saints.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
I'd like to think that results are immaterial... but they aren't.  Pleased for any kids that do well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Trouble with Watson is he doesn't seem to back it up the next week. Like to see Menzel play out the rest of the season in the seniors.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #5
Terrible effort... with so many senior players missing, we've been exposed - yet again! Coulde be quite a procession leaving Princes Park at year's end.

Watson may have a chance against Kozzi!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
Terrible effort... with so many senior players missing, we've been exposed - yet again! Coulde be quite a procession leaving Princes Park at year's end.

Watson may have a chance against Kozzi!

Heard there could be 10 going! Yep time to give Watson his go in the seniors!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
What a shocker! A 75 point thrashing.
A couple of positives: Menzel stood up and kicked a few goals. Watson played probably his best game of the year and destroyed Gumby. That may terminate the move to recruit Gumby in itself.
Otherwise....

I'm looking forward to what RR and the crew have to say.

Thank you again to Matt Lodge for his excellent coverage via Twitter.

Crash have to agree a positive may well be we stay clear of Gumby now, Menzel to come in hopefully but aside from that  :(

Reply #8
You have to give some credit to Watson. He hasn't had a look in this season as a result of our key forwards actually staying fit, but Waite goes down and he steps up to play his best game of the year.

He should come in next week against the Saints, releasing Hendo up forward.

He seems to be someone that needs that added incentive (evidenced by the fact that he was so much better in the seniors last year than he was in the twos) so hopefully this is the opportunity he needs to show something.

Pretty damn disappointing to see us capitulate so badly in the same weekend the seniors have their worst loss of the year. It was a big opportunity to earn a senior game this week but how many actually seemed to want it?
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #9
Pretty damn disappointing to see us capitulate so badly in the same weekend the seniors have their worst loss of the year. It was a big opportunity to earn a senior game this week but how many actually seemed to want it?

You know what you really nailed it Nath - that really was a Sh1t weekend football wise :-[

Reply #10

He seems to be someone that needs that added incentive (evidenced by the fact that he was so much better in the seniors last year than he was in the twos) so hopefully this is the opportunity he needs to take

Or the conspiracy theorists would say he put in a big one in front of the one club he wants to go to?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
Not as worried by the result so much as to finding out who went well. Some of the right blokes I want to see taking spots in the seniors soon did well, Menzel, Graham, Buckley, Watson. So we got something out of it in that regard.

Reply #12
First time I have managed to get out of the house without the kids and watch the Northern Blues this year.  The scoreboard reflected a pretty average day, however there where some periods of the game in which we had a fair bit of the play without impacting the scoreboard.

Essendon 5.1 8.5 11.10 18.10 (118)
Northern Blues 0.4 2.6 5.9 6.13 (49)

GOALS:
Essendon: Dell'Olio 4 Daniher 4 Davey 2 Lovett-Murray 2 Gumbleton Dalgleish Hille Duscher Hunter Coghlan
Northern Blues: Menzel 3 Wilson Buckley Lincoln

BEST:
Essendon: Firman Jetta O'Brien O'Brien Duscher Lovett-Murray
Northern Blues: Watson Menzel Gianfagna Duigan Graham Meese

STATS (Disposals): Duigan 22, Menzel 20, Graham 19, Davies 19, Gianfagna 18, Lambert 17

White:  I didn't mind his game.   Got crunched early by Rowe, but he is a pretty solid footballer who makes pretty good decisions by hand and foot.   Composed in congestion.  

M. Watson:  Easy our best.   Gumbleton kicked one and would have been lucky to have 5-7 touches.   Never beaten one on one, with countless spoils and read the play on a number of occasions to take strong marks in defense.   Used the ball very well.

Joseph: Played back pocket and had his hands full.   One dimensional footballer and while he has a red hot crack he just lacks the skills to make it.   Get the feeling he knows his days are numbered.

F. Dale:   Played in defence.   Not a lot of impact and a few errors by foot.   Ok but needs to do more.  Physically ill at half time.   Not sure if that's nerves or he was unwell.

Rowe:   Had a maire early.   Combination of bad luck and poor management.   Had a hand in the first three of the Bombers goals.   First a "very soft" free to Daniher, then got caught behind with a quick snap around the corner, and then in frustration gave away a 2nd free with an overzealous attack on the football.   Battled on pretty well given the circumstances.

Davies:  I reckon he had Davey for most of the day and did a pretty decent job.   Good kick.    

Temay:  Liked his game.   Clean and composed in a side that butchers the ball.   Wouldn't have had huge numbers.  

Buckley:   Two great runs through the middle of the ground.   One resulted in a goal and the other out of bounds on the full.   Looks to be our best midfielder suited to play at AFL level.

Laidler:   Tracking David Teague for the biggest demise of an AFL footballer in a Carlton jumper.   From someone that I thought was so important to our side to a non-event at VFL level.   I don't get it.   Whatever Mick's plan is, I hope it works.  Based on today he is miles away from the ones.  You just couldn't pick him.

Menzel:   The only forward that looked dangerous.   If you think our AFL forward line is dysfunctional, the VFL one has it covered in spades.   This bloke however gets it and is a good finisher.    He won't play too many games at VFL level.

Hampson:   Hurt his knee early in the 2nd.   No impact beforehand.  The couple of times he was on the lead he managed to run under the ball.

Mitchell:  A couple of good marks, but another non event.   You would love him as an opposition coach as you can play a third tall type like Hardingham on him who can compete physically and run off him at will.   Needs to join Watson and Casboult in pre-season training with Craig Mottram.   Can't play AFL on current form.

Warnock:   Looks like a bloke collecting a pay cheque.   No influence on the game other than hit outs.   A real disappointment.   No intensity at all and the question I would be asking is "does he play football because he loves the game or because he is good at it."

Duigan:  Pretty average early, however to his credit worked into the game and seemed to push further up the ground in the 2nd half.   Great intensity.  

Graham:  Didn't notice him a lot so it was nice to see he had 19 touches.

Reply #13
Great to see Watson finally putting his hand up. Henderson/Casboult forward with Watson, Jamison and McInnes in defence is worth trialling.

Would be great to see Casboult given a full game in the forward line, supported by a capable key forward. So, i'd be bringing Warnock in too!

Other changes would be Cachia to the backline, Yarran to the wing, Walker third tall forward. Something like this

Cachia Jamison Watson
Tuohy  McInnes Simpson
Yarran Murphy Gibbs
Walker Casboult Garlett
Betts  Henderson Judd

Kreuzer Murphy Carazzo

Mclean, Menzel, Warnock sub: Graham

Reply #14
First time I have managed to get out of the house without the kids and watch the Northern Blues this year.  The scoreboard reflected a pretty average day, however there where some periods of the game in which we had a fair bit of the play without impacting the scoreboard.

Essendon 5.1 8.5 11.10 18.10 (118)
Northern Blues 0.4 2.6 5.9 6.13 (49)

GOALS:
Essendon: Dell'Olio 4 Daniher 4 Davey 2 Lovett-Murray 2 Gumbleton Dalgleish Hille Duscher Hunter Coghlan
Northern Blues: Menzel 3 Wilson Buckley Lincoln

BEST:
Essendon: Firman Jetta O'Brien O'Brien Duscher Lovett-Murray
Northern Blues: Watson Menzel Gianfagna Duigan Graham Meese

STATS (Disposals): Duigan 22, Menzel 20, Graham 19, Davies 19, Gianfagna 18, Lambert 17

White:  I didn't mind his game.   Got crunched early by Rowe, but he is a pretty solid footballer who makes pretty good decisions by hand and foot.   Composed in congestion.  

M. Watson:  Easy our best.   Gumbleton kicked one and would have been lucky to have 5-7 touches.   Never beaten one on one, with countless spoils and read the play on a number of occasions to take strong marks in defense.   Used the ball very well.

Joseph: Played back pocket and had his hands full.   One dimensional footballer and while he has a red hot crack he just lacks the skills to make it.   Get the feeling he knows his days are numbered.

F. Dale:   Played in defence.   Not a lot of impact and a few errors by foot.   Ok but needs to do more.  Physically ill at half time.   Not sure if that's nerves or he was unwell.

Rowe:   Had a maire early.   Combination of bad luck and poor management.   Had a hand in the first three of the Bombers goals.   First a "very soft" free to Daniher, then got caught behind with a quick snap around the corner, and then in frustration gave away a 2nd free with an overzealous attack on the football.   Battled on pretty well given the circumstances.

Davies:  I reckon he had Davey for most of the day and did a pretty decent job.   Good kick.    

Temay:  Liked his game.   Clean and composed in a side that butchers the ball.   Wouldn't have had huge numbers.  

Buckley:   Two great runs through the middle of the ground.   One resulted in a goal and the other out of bounds on the full.   Looks to be our best midfielder suited to play at AFL level.

Laidler:   Tracking David Teague for the biggest demise of an AFL footballer in a Carlton jumper.   From someone that I thought was so important to our side to a non-event at VFL level.   I don't get it.   Whatever Mick's plan is, I hope it works.  Based on today he is miles away from the ones.  You just couldn't pick him.

Menzel:   The only forward that looked dangerous.   If you think our AFL forward line is dysfunctional, the VFL one has it covered in spades.   This bloke however gets it and is a good finisher.    He won't play too many games at VFL level.

Hampson:   Hurt his knee early in the 2nd.   No impact beforehand.  The couple of time he was on the lead he managed to run under the ball.

Mitchell:  A couple of good marks, but another non event.   You would love him as an opposition coach as you can play a third tall type like Hardingham on him who can compete physically and run off him at will.   Needs to join Watson and Casboult in pre-season training with Craig Mottram.   Can't play AFL on current form.

Warnock:   Looks like a bloke collecting a pay cheque.   No influence on the game other than hit outs.   A real disappointment.   No intensity at all and the question I would be asking is "does he play football because he loves the game or because he is good at it."

Duigan:  Pretty average early, however to his credit worked into the game and seemed to push further up the ground in the 2nd half.   Great intensity.  

Graham:  Didn't notice him a lot so it was nice to see he had 19 touches.

No to Gumby based on his work vs Watson?