Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #90
Not one to mince words EB1! :o
Just calling it like is LP.....Stanley was the ideal specimen for Pittonet to bully, the raw Esava Ratugolea provided more competition. Conversely Marshall is an athlete but can also handle the body on body stuff too.

Reply #91
Yep blaming the umps is an easy out for lack of effort, when you play and attack the ball properly most times the umpiring looks after itself. The scoreboard flattered us and the umpiring had nothing to do with the result.

Except that virtually the first play of the game was McGOvern copping 2 hands in the back, in the square - nothing.  Then 2 of StKIlda's first 3 goals from dubious frees and/or 50s.  Then, late in the 3rd, as we were pushing to get back into it, a couple of tide-turning frees that killed all our momentum.

Whether they were correct or not - the decisions (or lack of) made a huge difference in the game

Reply #92
Just calling it like is LP.....Stanley was the ideal specimen for Pittonet to bully, the raw Esava Ratugolea provided more competition. Conversely Marshall is an athlete but can also handle the body on body stuff too.
 Careful, you'll be labelled a Pittonet hater!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Except that virtually the first play of the game was McGOvern copping 2 hands in the back, in the square - nothing.  Then 2 of StKIlda's first 3 goals from dubious frees and/or 50s.  Then, late in the 3rd, as we were pushing to get back into it, a couple of tide-turning frees that killed all our momentum.

Whether they were correct or not - the decisions (or lack of) made a huge difference in the game
Rubbish, look at it again, there was no push in the back, Gov was milking it looking for a free and looked farken stupid if you ask me. I know this because I yelled the same as you then when I saw the reply from the different angle, it was clear. He's better off focusing on getting a bloody kick through hard work and nouse. There is not such thing as tide turning free kick, its just BS made up by supporters of the losing team. Do you hear the winning team supporters say "gee those decisions really turned the tide in our favour". I'll give you a clue, the answer starts with N and ends in O.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #94
I could cop last night's result if we had a list sprinkled with a few b graders and the rest c and d graders who gave their all every week but whose lack of ability caused us to be beaten by better sides week in week out.

What I can't cop is a side with so many top picks that displays mental and/or physical fragility week in week out.  We never know who is going to turn up at any given match.

We have not had one match where the majority of players have given their best for the whole game.

It's like Groundhog Day.  Go back to match review threads of six years or more, before the rebuild, and the complaints then were the same as now.

We supporters deserve better.  Carlton this century reminds me of Melbourne in the last 45 years of last century:
 promised the Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow but always just out of reach.

Until we recruit a few players in the mid-field such as Mitch Robinson who will play with aggression all day and not take a backward step, we will continue to be pushed around and anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #95
I could cop last night's result if we had a list sprinkled with a few b graders and the rest c and d graders who gave their all every week but whose lack of ability caused us to be beaten by better sides week in week out.

What I can't cop is a side with so many top picks that displays mental and/or physical fragility week in week out.  We never know who is going to turn up at any given match.

We have not had one match where the majority of players have given their best for the whole game.

It's like Groundhog Day.  Go back to match review threads of six years or more, before the rebuild, and the complaints then were the same as now.

We supporters deserve better.  Carlton this century reminds me of Melbourne in the last 45 years of last century:
 promised the Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow but always just out of reach.

Until we recruit a few players in the mid-field such as Mitch Robinson who will play with aggression all day and not take a backward step, we will continue to be pushed around and anchored to the bottom of the ladder.
Agree,

Even after last weeks game where they were saying this will add to their belief that they can - just get the fck in with it - why can’t we have ruthless hard arsed competitors?

Reply #96
Teams don't fear us, you need presence as well as skill and we don't have it.
We have a list of Von Trapp nice kids and no mongrels...

In cricketing terms... EB1 dances down the pitch and belts the cherry back over the bowler's head and into row 17 of the grandstand on the full.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #97
Lets be brutally honest and call a vanga a vanga as Ol Mate PaulyP would say, the Geelong game was an aberration as far as where Carlton's at is concerned. Its good to be positive and optimistic but the Melb and StK performances wipe any positives from my mind. I'm am sick to death of "we showed we can compete with the best".

The unpalatable truth. I'm reluctant to admit it but I wonder if the Pussycats disrespected us by playing a severely underdone Steven which may have just been the difference. Also reluctant to admit that we could be quite easily 0-5... not a win for some time with genuine authority, when was our last convincing victory by a handsome margin against a half decent opponent in good form?

Ps What the hell is a vanga?

Reply #98
The unpalatable truth. I'm reluctant to admit it but I wonder if the Pussycats disrespected us by playing a severely underdone Steven which may have just been the difference. Also reluctant to admit that we could be quite easily 0-5... not a win for some time with genuine authority, when was our last convincing victory by a handsome margin against a half decent opponent in good form?

Other way for me. There are no aberrations, Geelong game just shows you have the ability as does 8-8 in the last 16 games, which should've been alot better with a better attitude. Simply means the side can play with the right application. The issue is we don't come to play each week and that is 80% of our issues. We should've had 11 wins from those 16 games with we turned up in the first qtr. Fact is we have pissed 8 points down the drain this year by not being switched on. Essentially, should be in the 8 with the right work rate but we're not.

Reply #99

Vanga is the italian word for spade, as in let's call a spade a spade.

Reply #100
................................not a win for some time with genuine authority, when was our last convincing victory by a handsome margin against a half decent opponent in good form?.............................

R5 2019.

Reply #101
Vanga is the italian word for spade, as in let's call a spade a spade.

I had to look twice at the word as my mind went elsewhere...lol.

Reply #102
R5 2019.

Good example. Just struggling to recall who the senior coach was for that game... 🤔 😉

Reply #103

Good example. Just struggling to recall who the senior coach was for that game... 🤔 😉
[/quote]Reckon a 15pts win over the side that finished 2nd at the end of the H & A wasn't a bad one either.

Forgetting the last qtr, we hadn't played 3 qtrs of football like that in years down at Geelong.

Reply #104
I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought didn't no how to win, and didn't turn up to win. We keep falling behind by six, seven, eight goals, and then we start playing. The good thing about last night was that in previous seasons we would have lost by five to ten goals. The fact that we do have a go is good. But you have to have a go for four quarters not when you pick and chose to do it. I was surprised how good St.Kilda was in the first quarter and they really exposed our lack of pace in the mid-field. I thought Philp was good for his second game last night, and we really need Fisher, Dow and O'Brien in to give us some more run. Kennedy is another who seems to be running better across the ground this year.
It is easy to criticise the back line, but when you are getting beaten in the middle, and your disposal coming out of the back is bad, and the entries into the forward line are so poor that it allows you to slingshot all the way down the ground, you can see how some of the goals came form our poor play rather than their good.
I thought our players, back and forward had trouble judging the ball under the lights in the first half. This led to a number of marks which were virtually uncontested. When we closed them down and made the game a contest, we really had them on the ropes, but once again we didn't make the most of the opportunities. This leads me back to my original premise that I am not sure the Club really wants to win. They say they do, but I am not sure they really mean it. As I say, winners win because they win, losers lose because they lose.
We had Silvagni, Dow Marchbank, Kreuzer, Newman, Fisher and Curnow out, as well as Kennedy, O'Brien and TDK missing. I am not sure we have worked out who are our best 22 and which group is the best 22. This is something we will need to work out if we are to progress.