Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 15842 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
No doubt....there's just something about his effort I like.

I reckon he probably needs to go back to the VFL next week and build on the senior experience.
Maybe another 1-2 games before the end of the season.

I like something about him too, and dare I say it, that bloke everyone was talking about this week had a pretty quiet start to his career...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #16
It was Polson's 5th game....I think we need to see a bit more...and the fact that he's been given an extension means the folks who know a bit more about him have deemed him worthy.
That doesn't mean that he wouldn't benefit from a few games in the VFL.

Reply #17
I have a soft spot for Levi, but after today, I'm struggling to remember why. Boy he really sh1ts me sometimes. That very last kick was about 30 out, almost in front.  :(

Oh well, his time with us is much closer to the end than the beginning. That's something I guess.

Whatever issues Harry Mac has, he's a good set shot, and would have nailed 2 and possibly all 3 of those.

7 days after a compound fracture ?
You could have chopped his arm off with a blunt butter knife while he was watching and he wouldn’t have flinched, but yeah he did stink it up out there.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #18
I used to think he was a dud, but am coming around.
Still think he is lucky to have a contract.
Decision making is not too bad, but he had some shockers today, which i gave him grace for because he's basically in his first year.

Agreed, the kid has some go.

On a separate issue, should he have even been playing the week after we got fined for playing him concussed?

The worry isn't a kids getting stuff all possessions, the worry is the experienced AFL players sitting at the bottom of the pile like Mullett, Lamb and Casboult. Some of them have zero possessions at half time, what was that an historical recreation of Simmo's first 90 minutes of football! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
I have a soft spot for Levi, but after today, I'm struggling to remember why. Boy he really sh1ts me sometimes. That very last kick was about 30 out, almost in front.  :(

Oh well, his time with us is much closer to the end than the beginning. That's something I guess.

Whatever issues Harry Mac has, he's a good set shot, and would have nailed 2 and possibly all 3 of those.

Remember he's been injured. He obviously wasn't match ready to come back though the AFL and should've played VFL. Problem alot of supporters have is they expect players to bounce straight in and look like stars despite not being match fit or carrying an injury. Some can do it, usually the stars, alot can't. when they can't supporters lose theit $hit. Now sure what they expect. Hands up those who spent the year bagging Kennedy not knowing his circumstances. Supporters often talk with their frustrations, not their brains.

I've liked how Levi's come along playing 103 games coming from the pits of the rookie draft. He was only there though until McKay, Kerr come along. Curnow is already there and a superstar. now they are ready enough we should be going down that line now, now Levi, especially a half fit one. Done well enough holding the fort with his limited ability after Waite/Henderson left but it's time now we go with the younger players, especially with one win and 13 losses.

Reply #20
It was Polson's 5th game....I think we need to see a bit more...and the fact that he's been given an extension means the folks who know a bit more about him have deemed him worthy.
That doesn't mean that he wouldn't benefit from a few games in the VFL.

The folks who knew a bit more about Paul Bower kept giving him contracts too......Polson is real lucky to get another contract based on what he has delivered IMO.

Reply #21
The folks who knew a bit more about Paul Bower kept giving him contracts too......Polson is real lucky to get another contract based on what he has delivered IMO.

Do you get to any VFL EB1?

Seriously, this kid Polson deserved a game 5 or 6 weeks back when SoJ got a game for doing nada! Further to that, listening to the radio today while watching the game it was heart breaking to hear the so called experts questioning SoJ's future, they basically accused our club of manufacturing a position for him! But that's been the worry all along, a game for the name, and when the luddites in the media get hold of that concept you know it's no longer a mere subtlety!

Then when Polson is run out of form, after 3 or 4 really good weeks in the VFL, for reasons I do not know they promote him to AFL! We've been doing this sh1t for years! It's like there is some bean-counting fork-wit adding up how many kilometres they run before they get a big boy game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22

Possibly..but the Bower folk have moved on.
There is an upside to this bloke...whether he makes it or not won't be known this season.
But we'll bookmark it. ;)

Reply #23

I'm with you Elwood, I haven't seen a thing from him that makes me think he'll cut it at AFL level.
If he gets a game next week we aren't fair dinkum.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24
We have alot of good kids who have played some good footy this year, plus we have 2 bonafide superstars. Injuries or not we should be doing better than just one win from 14 games after 13 on top of close losses in the last 2 years. Thank goodness for Essendon!

Reply #25
I'm with you Elwood, I haven't seen a thing from him that makes me think he'll cut it at AFL level.
If he gets a game next week we aren't fair dinkum.

On form he probably shouldn't.
But I'm backing him down the track...we'll have to wait and see.
"I told you so's" can wait 12 months...he's with us for a while. ;)
Noticed today that he's quite vocal on field too...directing others.
So he doesn't lack for confidence.

Reply #26
Key is now, after a few good games against good sides, is not to go to Brisbane next week and bring it all undone as we have the last 2 years.

Maybe the coach can find two players...one for Zorko and one for Beams......hasnt bothered in the past but maybe this time we can just
do some pre planning and work out who has been doing the damage against us and not let history repeat itself like it has for the last 2-3 seasons...

Reply #27
Polson is a dud IMO and lucky to have another contract...poor decision making and atrocious kicking, no point tackling well if you turn the ball over with brain dead decisions..
Graham another dud..
Lamb...dud
Weitering was also poor...poor contesting and poor turnovers especially early..
Mullet...useless,, prefer OShea at least he contests before turning the ball over, Mullet doesnt even get to first base...pathetic..
Casboult...real average too..

We were close to a win today but when you start 4-5 players short it makes it hard especially when when you get no luck with the goal umpires and the opposition are kicking goals out of their backsides ie Wingard..

Philips was a big plus and everytime I see him play he does well.....
Pickett...welcome back, added some spark and X factor...
Murphy was ok in patches.
Kennedy...improved as the game went on....
Charlie...gun player
Cripps...solid performer vs some class opposition..
Simpson... one of our best
Fisher...handy game
Rowe...Dixon got on top in the end but Sam wasnt too bad..
Jack...being tried down back and needs more games to evaluate..
Wright...some good but not enough from him
Garlett...unlucky with the goal umpies...not enough though..
Dow....ok at times, there for the education mainly..
Jones....very good, copped Gray early who is a star and held his own and continued to be a good player...

Not a bad effort today and if we had a few more contributors we might have won it for Kade Simpson today...
Went along, Simmo was awesome and it was a real shame the boys couldnt get it done today. Poor old Pulse had a shocker, some critical 50s given away. 2 pts at 3/4 time and I thought we were a real chance. Flippa was very good today, Charlie is just special and as I said last week, will only get better, and I mean  scary better. I liked bits of Picketts game, what a shame he got injured early in the year. He is just what we need. The difference today was they kicked the ones they had to and we didn't. Wrighty had one to forget and has been ordinary by his standards for a bit. We simply cant carry passengers (Mullet, SPS, Polson).
I normally tend to avoid talking about umpires but they had a shocker today.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
Not sure about the rules these days but it used to be that if you made a goal post move it used to be a goal.   Garletts second shot was overturned on video review after the PA player smashed into the post trying to touch it. The post was wobbling like crazy before the ball went through.  I thought that negated the hit-the-post rule?  

Hit the back of the post too.   Dodgy call I reckon.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29
Not sure about the rules these days but it used to be that if you made a goal post move it used to be a goal.   Garletts second shot was overturned on video review after the PA player smashed into the post trying to touch it. The post was wobbling like crazy before the ball went through.  I thought that negated the hit-the-post rule?  

Hit the back of the post too.   Dodgy call I reckon.

Yes, it used to be a free kick if someone deliberately wobbled the post, I'm not sure about a collision with it!
The Force Awakens!