Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 15998 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
Arrived home feeling like I'd just spent a few months with Scott in the Antarctic. Nevertheless we put in a reasonable effort for Simmo's 300th. Second qtr was very ordinary and missed chances and some baffling umpire calls generally ensured we weren't in the hunt. We no doubt have some exciting emerging talent, Charlie, Fish, Pickett stood out for me but we have too many very ordinary lesser lights and Levi had a particularly bad one.

Good to see Simmo with his 38 possessions for his big milestone.

Bit of work for SoS to do in the draft/trade periods.

Yes, the bottom half dozen today a real worry but remember when you flick that 6 or so (Mullet,Polson, Lamb to name but 3) and replace with Willo, Doc, Marchy, Plow (and add Daisy and a fit Lang/Byrne into that mix)....that's a big uplift in quality and output, more importantly.

Reckon the Pickett/Garlett duo will give many a team headaches for years to come. Garlett looks laconic but doubt he is....should be thrown into the guts or in Mullet's role at HBF to get him involved and up to speed some times....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
Stunk: Weitering, Casboult, Mullett and Lamb. All made rookie mistakes and handed easy possessions to Port. Being so close we got to see just how slow Weitering is.

Polson stunk it up too, bugger all touches which included a few absolute howlers plus a dumb 50 metres.
It's never good to bag kids early on but there's no use trying to sugar coat it.
I thought that Lamb was OK to be honest, and I'm not a fan.
It was Garlett's best game for us easily.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
Sometimes that's the issue. Players are confused as to their roles. The Swans strength is to make good players out of the ordinary by simply giving those players roles they are suited too.
I saw him try run with SPP for a little bit. Most of the time, he seems to wander around aimlessly without an opponent pointing to spaces, gesturing, but not anything in particular. Not suggesting he the reason we lost today, I just dont understand his role or what his contribution to the side is ATM. I said in another thread, he seems "lost" most of the time to me. He is young and they are getting games into him, I get that. Other than that...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Arrived home feeling like I'd just spent a few months with Scott in the Antarctic. Nevertheless we put in a reasonable effort for Simmo's 300th. Second qtr was very ordinary and missed chances and some baffling umpire calls generally ensured we weren't in the hunt. We no doubt have some exciting emerging talent, Charlie, Fish, Pickett stood out for me but we have too many very ordinary lesser lights and Levi had a particularly bad one.

Good to see Simmo with his 38 possessions for his big milestone.

Bit of work for SoS to do in the draft/trade periods.

Know the feeling! Glad we made the trip though for the champ's 300th... and what a game he put in. Contract extension for 2019? Yep.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
The transformation in Jones has been astounding, he'd be among the first half dozen picked these days and he'd get a game at most AFL clubs.
Do we chalk him up to Malthouse?

I don't think he's transformed - he's a frustrating player and a tease. One week (like today) very good, then the next week, dumb as dogsh1t and gets 8 kicked on him.

Delisted by the Dogs, almost delisted by us, and has only really shown positive signs under Bolton. And the same goes for Daisy, who has only earned his keep in the last couple of seasons.

Reply #50
Weitering isnt the player he was, he doesnt defend anymore and is purely a intercept marking player...Westhoff beat him up bad early and it was largely due to JW trying to corral his man rather than play close and defend him. Not sure what his coaching instructions are but its baffling to me why he isnt playing close to his man and has this non physical approach. His decision making is also astray, he is a smart footballer making poor choices especially when kicking, kicked back into the corridor several times and failed to hit the target causing turnovers and indirectly goals.

Jack Silvagni.....poor young Jack has had more jobs than most...he is like a training kid on work experience....one week he is forward, next week he is playing onball and then the following week he is down back having to give other players chop outs when they leave their man and he gets stuck next to the likes of Charlie Dixon in a one on one marking duel. How is this helping Jack, what sort of development is it that wont allow a kid to settle, why trial him as a mid then send him down back?.....
Something isnt right....

Reply #51
Weitering isnt the player he was, he doesnt defend anymore and is purely a intercept marking player...Westhoff beat him up bad early and it was largely due to JW trying to corral his man rather than play close and defend him. Not sure what his coaching instructions are but its baffling to me why he isnt playing close to his man and has this non physical approach. His decision making is also astray, he is a smart footballer making poor choices especially when kicking, kicked back into the corridor several times and failed to hit the target causing turnovers and indirectly goals.

Jack Silvagni.....poor young Jack has had more jobs than most...he is like a training kid on work experience....one week he is forward, next week he is playing onball and then the following week he is down back having to give other players chop outs when they leave their man and he gets stuck next to the likes of Charlie Dixon in a one on one marking duel. How is this helping Jack, what sort of development is it that wont allow a kid to settle, why trial him as a mid then send him down back?.....
Something isnt right....
You can tell though both are super smart footballers.

Reply #52

Something isnt right....

Weitering might be better when he has a position he can call his own. Confidence is a wonderful thing. Right now we have Rowe, Jones back there and before then plowman as well. Like alot of our players they don't know what their role is.

Reply #53
Not sure about the rules these days but it used to be that if you made a goal post move it used to be a goal.   Garletts second shot was overturned on video review after the PA player smashed into the post trying to touch it. The post was wobbling like crazy before the ball went through.  I thought that negated the hit-the-post rule?  

Hit the back of the post too.   Dodgy call I reckon.

Commentators clarified at the time.

If it is a deliberate push of the post then it won't be tolerated. I think you can even get suspended for it. Not sure about a goal, but probably a free kick in front.

If its not deliberate, as in a player is trying to touch the ball, then its a non-issue.

So assuming the commentators were correct, the umps got it right,

Reply #54
Not that it made a difference but....
The Garlett "no goal" where Pickett looked to have touched it was a bit dubious from the replay at first viewing.
It was hard  to see a touch as Pickett appeared to move his hand away and it wasn't clear to me he'd touched it.
I'd like to see it again.

Not sure the size of the TV you were watching on, nor the quality of your eyesight, but it was clear as day to me. Pickett touched it.

That being said, i'm sure SOS will have nightmares about Michael Long tonight.  ::)

Reply #55

Part of my questioning of Weitering spot in the side in the pre-season was based on some of what you just said there.
He isn't great 1-on-1 and other are playing the intercept marking position better than him as specifically Jones, is taller, quicker, more agile and has more desperation when going for the interception/spoil.

Also he has a bad habit of going sideways first. It was very evident early on, all our blokes were pushing to use the corridor and Weitering would go sideways before even looking into the corridor.

A lack of confidence can do terrible things to a smart footballer. I'm guessing he is over analysing each situation when he should be playing more on instinct and not second guessing himself.

Reply #56
Part of my questioning of Weitering spot in the side in the pre-season was based on some of what you just said there.
He isn't great 1-on-1 and other are playing the intercept marking position better than him as specifically Jones, is taller, quicker, more agile and has more desperation when going for the interception/spoil.

Also he has a bad habit of going sideways first. It was very evident early on, all our blokes were pushing to use the corridor and Weitering would go sideways before even looking into the corridor.

A lack of confidence can do terrible things to a smart footballer. I'm guessing he is over analysing each situation when he should be playing more on instinct and not second guessing himself.

Yep...looking to kick short sideways is lacking confidence to hit the longer target, a feature of his early play was his long kicking to position now he tries to play safe by going sideways, as soon as that option isnt on
he then get the wobbles up and makes poor choices with poor execution..
Its sad seeing a kid who is a smart skilled footballer lacking the faith in himself and feeling so much pressure, maybe setting the bar so high early for himself has got to him....

Reply #57
Not sure the size of the TV you were watching on, nor the quality of your eyesight, but it was clear as day to me. Pickett touched it.

That being said, i'm sure SOS will have nightmares about Michael Long tonight.  ::)

Mine's a little phone.

Reply #58
Curiously, one reason good sides do well is the ability to give players defined roles. What are the defined roles of some of our players?

Reply #59
Roles are probably harder to define when there are so many injuries and players out of necessity are moved around.  Much easier where there a a core of experienced and good players and the youngsters/fringe players just have to fit in and not be the major playmakers.