Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 1257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #15
This week's line-up:
Backs:  Brodie Kemp  Jacob Weitering  Nic Newman
Half-backs:  Adam Saad  Mitch McGovern  Adam Saad
Centreline:  Ollie Hollands  Patrick Cripps  Blake Acres
Half-forwards:  Elijah Hollands  Harry McKay  Matthew Kennedy
Forwards:  Orazio Fantasia  Charlie Curnow  Matthew Owies
Followers:  Tom De Koning  Adam Cerra  George Hewett
Interchange:  Jordan Boyd  Jack Carroll  Matthew Cottrell  Corey Durdin  Sam Walsh

Emergencies:  Jaxon Binns  Lachlan Cowan  Marc Pittonet

I would have played Pittonet: he has a good record against O'Brien; TdK doesn't.
Ollie Hollands is pretty lucky. He hasn't been playing that well, even though he has contributed. Last week Sharpe killed him.
Fantasia is also more than a little lucky. He did OK as sub, but otherwise hasn't done much. Corey Durdin as well, but he had 8 tackles last week.
Walsh on the bench: is hat trying to tell us that he'll be a late out?

No Cincotta as sub? Amazing! He was much better than both Binns and Cowan against North.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
This week's line-up:
Backs:  Brodie Kemp  Jacob Weitering  Nic Newman
Half-backs:  Adam Saad  Mitch McGovern  Adam Saad
Centreline:  Ollie Hollands  Patrick Cripps  Blake Acres
Half-forwards:  Elijah Hollands  Harry McKay  Matthew Kennedy
Forwards:  Orazio Fantasia  Charlie Curnow  Matthew Owies
Followers:  Tom De Koning  Adam Cerra  George Hewett
Interchange:  Jordan Boyd  Jack Carroll  Matthew Cottrell  Corey Durdin  Sam Walsh

Emergencies:  Jaxon Binns  Lachlan Cowan  Marc Pittonet

I would have played Pittonet: he has a good record against O'Brien; TdK doesn't.
Ollie Hollands is pretty lucky. He hasn't been playing that well, even though he has contributed. Last week Sharpe killed him.
Fantasia is also more than a little lucky. He did OK as sub, but otherwise hasn't done much. Corey Durdin as well, but he had 8 tackles last week.

No Cincotta as sub? Amazing! He was much better than both Binns and Cowan against North.

If only we had 2 Adam Saad’s…
🤣
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #17
If only we had 2 Adam Saad’s…
🤣

So is the listed 'Adam Saad V.2' actually Zac Williams?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #18
If anyone is lucky to keep their spot, it’s Elijah Hollands rather than Ollie.  He seemed well off the pace before his injury but he still would have been stiff to be dropped.

The VFL team having a bye didn’t help our fringe players to press their claims and it would be their work at training that would catch the MC’s eyes.  Perhaps Binns, Cowan and Pitto were the standouts.

There are a couple of problems with bringing Pitto back.  De Koning is playing his best footy and, at worst, is breaking even with opposition rucks.  Dropping his time in the ruck from >80% to <50% will reduce his effectiveness, both in the ruck and around the ground.  Pitto might do well in the ruck but he doesn’t contribute much around the ground.  The other issue is the structural change playing two rucks would require, particularly in the context of Pitto’s inability to have an impact in the forward line and take marks around the ground.

We haven’t named our best 23, but it must be close to 23 out of our best 28.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19

It's a long season but we just had a bye, if not for that I would have also brought in Pitto as you suggest.

Corey Durdin did have a few tackles, but many barely impacted the opponents disposal.

That was Fantasia's best game so far, but still probably not a pass.

I wouldn't be surprised of a late change, but if Walsh is named I suspect he plays, perhaps another out though as I think a couple of others are lucky to retain spots.

Carroll might be a Monty for Sub, I'd start Walsh warm and want Carroll as the Sub just in case Walsh gets sore.

Last week despite bringing heaps of effort I thought Kennedy looked a bit out of place when he wasn't on the ball, maybe a bit of a reshuffle to come in the centre. I've noticed Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra seem to be waxing and waning a bit this season, Cerra can get away with it a bit because he has moments of silk, but I'm use to Kennedy and Hewett being 24x7 types.

We are looking more versatile this season, but I can't say we've clicked yet. I've mentioned it before, Voss / MC need to find a way to create a confidence boosting win, instead I feel we have a bit of a house of cards at the moment and we've been lucky so far. But I concede that can be good coaching, you can make your own luck.

Fogarty is a big loss.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
For me this week's most interesting watch will be our F50 tactics, we've been a bit out of sorts this season, some of it is down to evolving opposition tactics, but a good chunk of it is players finding their mojo in a stable configuration. We need to get a few more goals from the extras, opposition look hell bent on stopping Charlie having a crack at another Coleman.

We are probably quite lucky BigH has been in hot form, I wonder if this week he'll get caught out in the ruck like he did last week? O'Brien is a much bigger / harder body to run into.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
Cincotta stiff not to get a look in as a sub at least.
Elijah lucky to be in the 22.
Carroll a bit lucky to hold his spot with Walsh coming in. His performances are starting to decrease and needs lift his game to compete with the big boys he is rubbing shoulders with currently.

Fantasia/Durdin need to start lifting their game because we can't carry both all year and we are getting the output of 1 small forward between them.

Motlop, Martin, Cuningham and Fogarty all deserve a spot in the F50 before those too IMO, yet none are available at the moment.

Pitto, would do what he needs to if given a game, but we don't need him. 1 ruck only. If you wanna play him, give TDK a rest.

Cowan on the emergencies....i reckon that we could permanently write his name there because i don't think he is good enough to be in the team unless we have 20 players injured at once.

Reply #22
Cincotta dominates the middle next two weeks in VFL would see him get a gig in front of Carroll.

Motlop and Cunners could be available next week to face GWS which is a very big game. So need to get our game going starting this round.

Reply #23
Maybe put Cowan in the middle for few games.

Reply #24
Cincotta dominates the middle next two weeks in VFL would see him get a gig in front of Carroll.

Motlop and Cunners could be available next week to face GWS which is a very big game. So need to get our game going starting this round.

Cottrell won't be getting dropped anytime soon, especially not for Cincotta.
Cunners can play twos until he is fit, no more "straight in" for the likes of him, Marchbank or Martin. Nuffs enuff.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Maybe put Cowan in the middle for few games.
Why?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
Got a bad feeling about this game. Too much like last year. We weren't playing that well early on but we were getting the points. Then we played the crows and got spanked. Which just happened to be in round 5 no less. Things went pear shaped from there. For a while.
Will history repeat?

Reply #27
Got a bad feeling about this game. Too much like last year. We weren't playing that well early on but we were getting the points. Then we played the crows and got spanked. Which just happened to be in round 5 no less. Things went pear shaped from there. For a while.
Will history repeat?
I'd be shocked if we let the same thing happen again but you never know. Ben Keys had a day out, that won't happen again. They do have fwd line that can prove troublesome. If it was at the G we'd be a certainty.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #28
I'd be shocked if we let the same thing happen again but you never know. Ben Keys had a day out, that won't happen again. They do have fwd line that can prove troublesome. If it was at the G we'd be a certainty.
Last year was in front of 40,000+ baying Crows fans at the Adelaide Oval for the first ever Gather game.  I'd like to think the shoe is on the other foot this time.......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #29
Bit of chat around this morning (social media, BF) that Cerra is having a test (hamstring).
May be an out.