Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5295 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #75
Shawny...Im not as sold on TDK like everyone else and certainly not prepared to pay big dollars based on down the track promise.
I see Melb and Freo with Grundy and Jackson and then look at Geelong last year and Collingwood this season and think why does any club need to be paying ruckman a fortune
I will watch the game probably tomorrow and check out the ruck battles but I just see ruckman as minor pieces on the chess board and would prefer we spent our money elsewhere. 

I don’t disagree with any of that. My point is there is no comparison between Pitt and TDK.

What TDK is worth is another discussion but I do understand why TDK is getting the big offers while Pitt committed to 4 years on average coin.  It’s pretty obvious imo.

Reply #76
I don’t disagree with any of that. My point is there is no comparison between Pitt and TDK.

What TDK is worth is another discussion but I do understand why TDK is getting the big offers while Pitt committed to 4 years on average coin.  It’s pretty obvious imo.
Not sure what fans have against TDK, some hate that he's attracting big coin, others hate that he is often competing with a Silvagni for a spot in the match day squad.

I think it's unfair to compare Pitto and TDK, very very different players, Pitto is more like Lycett last night, TDK is more Gawn / Jackson like. I don't understand how fans don't see the difference and how they compliment each other, and of course there will be games when we should only play one or the other with a SoJ or Young backup.

On the stats, there are empty stats and then there are quality stats, I don't care how some want to negatively spin his stats TDK was in quality overload last night!

Only having Pitto makes us much too easy to plan against in my opinion, it pigeon holes our team tactically, a lot the fan debate argues like there is a definitive right or wrong way when it's nothing of the sort, it's horses for courses. Make the wrong choice on biggest day of the year and a squad that has the either / or like Melbourne or even more options like Geelong can ruin your day!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
Nice post LP. I generally agree.

Reply #78
Our pressure won the game yesterdayand really it's been the difference for the last 4 weeks. TDK showed he belonged out there with 6 tackles.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #79
Ruckmen need to be very good around the ground too, like Gawn the other night. Then they are worth a decent dollar. Other than that someone like Pittonet does the job.

Whateley reckons Grundy won't be at Melbourne next year. Interesting to see if he is right. Was the all-time dumb decision to go there in the first place. Two first rucks don't often work unless they can proficiently play forward too, as they'll be spending alot of time there. Even in the old days of Nicholls and Jones they were both very good up forward. In the days of unlimited interchange you could play 2 first rucks and just change them off the bench. Not now. The was a reason Kreuzer and Casboult were a good combination. Kreuzer did a good job gathering touches around the ground and could kick a goal if needed. Casboult was a forward ruck, who, despite his limitations, often hit the scoreboard, wrong part of it at times, but turned out quite a proficient ruckman as well together with his handy marking around the ground. Soon as Kreuzer played with Phillips his game went to crap near every time.
Marc doesn't get a lot of marks, or possessions generally, but he usually makes it difficult for his opponent to get them. The sort of guy he struggles with around the ground is a guy lime English, who is pretty damned mobile for a big man. But, even then, Pitto gives a contest.
Pitto's strength is his strength in the ruck contest, and his ability to aim his taps pretty well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #80
Marc doesn't get a lot of marks, or possessions generally, but he usually makes it difficult for his opponent to get them. The sort of guy he struggles with around the ground is a guy lime English, who is pretty damned mobile for a big man. But, even then, Pitto gives a contest.
Pitto's strength is his strength in the ruck contest, and his ability to aim his taps pretty well.

Pitto doesn't get a lot around the ground because we have better options to kick too.
He generally lines up in the back half so he is not part of the contest when going forward.

His defensive efforts are pretty good though. He doesn't get outmarked often and is decent with a punch. There was a game a few weeks ago where he ran 30m to make a spoil on about the HBF near the start of a match. If you can stop your opponent being a target, thats as good as you being a target.

Besides his tapwork, his best attribute is his aggression. As good as our big men are, none of them really have any aggression in them naturally. Jack is probably the best of the rest, but Harry, Charlie, Weiters, Young, TDK....don't have that aggression that you want from a big man. Our mids walk taller when Pitto is around.

Where do we go from here? Who knows. We'll cross that bridge when we get 2 fit rucks to choose from......and a fit Harry as well.

Reply #81
I thought when he first came on Dow was OK, but re-watch the first 5mins of the 2nd or 3rd quarter and you'll see why Dow struggles to get a regular game.

There is are several periods of play where he just doesn't chase with any intensity, from the stoppage Dow trails behind an opponent he could easily catch, leaving team-mates to run past him to do the heavy work, and it's only the first few minutes of the quarter. Even if he couldn't catch he should still be exerting some pressure instead of leaving an opponent have an easy disposal.

In another passage of play, Dow trails an opponent again which is perhaps OK maybe the opponent is too quick, except Cripps runs past Dow and tackles the opponent!

That is the exact opposite of how everybody else in the team is playing, everybody else is all in instantly.

Why Dow is like this is a mystery, he no longer naturally hunts the footy, it seems he needs to be forced to do so!

My mate I go to the footy with says when this happens Dow is having another "rabbit in the headlights" moment, to me it looks like Dow has to think about what to do next, instead of just doing it.

That's it in a nutshell plus he's apparently not a fast thinker because he rarely chases with intensity.

Reply #82
Just as an aside...
I actually don't mind Boyd.
He's a bit of a goer and applies pressure.
There's a bit of mongrel about him and he actually gets under the skin of the opposition.
(Watch how often they want to thump him)
 :D
He's not a big accumulator averaging around 12 a game, but Boyd is usually one of our more efficient disposers of the ball....he runs up around 80% effective.
On the weekend he had another dozen, but was down around the 50% effective.
When your strength is not a strength and you don't have a lot of other tricks you might struggle to hold your place.
It will be  interesting to see if we appeal if things don't go his way at the tribunal.

Reply #83
Georgie had five tackles to Paddy's zip and 19 possessions (10 contested) at 74% to Paddy's 14 at 53%.  The only positive for Paddy was the cheers from the crowd when he got a touch.

If Paddy is to command a regular spot in the 22, he has to lift his defensive intensity and improve his decision-making.  Cuningham didn't have a great game but the contrast between his ability to create the space and time to evaluate the options and execute well and Paddy's bang the ball onto his boot style is notable.

Got it in one, David. Decision making. He has the attributes, physically. But instinctual decision making (aka footy IQ) seems to be the troublesome area.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #84
I like Boyd; he provides different attributes to our defence, works his butt off and generally gets the job done.

Every so often he shanks what should be a regulation kick.  He’s not Robinson Crusoe in that but it’s more of an issue when you’re in the team for your ability to hit targets.

Boyd’s lack of experience is noticeable at times, particularly when he gives opponents too much latitude, generally by getting his positioning wrong.

On Saturday he stopped on the whistle and gave his opponent an uncontested mark when the umpire called advantage.  A simple mistake but probably not one most of his teammates would make.

I think that Boyd deserves his place in the 22 and our defence is better with him there.  I’m sure that he’s working hard to eliminate the miskicks and Sammy Hamill will be trying to address those errors of judgement.

I suspect that he’ll miss a week or two and it will be interesting to see whether he comes straight back in or has to work for his spot in the VFL.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
Not a fan of Boyd and I want to see Cowan  in the team and getting experience.
The latter is a good kick too and has more flair and upside. Boyd is a Joe average VFL player imo and I just don't see what others see in him unlike Cowan who I think is a terrific prospect for the future.

Reply #86
I actually thought Charlie looked better and more dangerous after H got injured. This raises the question as to how we should structure our fwd set up when H returns and going forward.  Imo I think we should look at keeping a lot more separation in order to stretch opposition defences and minimize the times they are both flying for the same mark.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #87
I actually thought Charlie looked better and more dangerous after H got injured. This raises the question as to how we should structure our fwd set up when H returns and going forward.  Imo I think we should look at keeping a lot more separation in order to stretch opposition defences and minimize the times they are both flying for the same mark.
Agree Charlie and Harry needs some separation and I'd be playing another tall to replace Harry down forward so we keep to the same formula and working on that strategy so when he comes back the game plan is still the same.
I think Lemmey could be given some games to try and replicate how Harry operates and I like the idea of still stretching teams having to find multiple taller defenders. West Coast would be a nice intro for the kid vs average opposition and I think these injuries to key players create opportunities and are where you build depth for the future.

Reply #88
There be more than one or two members on this forum laughing loudly at the irony of Jordan Boyd potentially being our "Enforcer" type! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
Not a fan of Boyd and I want to see Cowan  in the team and getting experience.
The latter is a good kick too and has more flair and upside. Boyd is a Joe average VFL player imo and I just don't see what others see in him unlike Cowan who I think is a terrific prospect for the future.

I was probably Boyds biggest critic, but i've got to pull you up on that one EB.
Cowans kicking is a long way behind Boyds kicking.