Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 5272 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #135
John Nicholls Medal….

Have been dormant for a while guys but have emerged..haha!
Best players award should be lock down mid season award already…The Carlton Marketing Dept absolute all stars…They suck us in every year with the pumped up tripe…look what we are cooking…etc etc…….. 80/90k ? Yet why are half the Baggers walking out at 3/4 time… Because everyone is and had a gutful of this mediocity and false promises….go have a look at Blue Heaven…he’s out of words…thats good for him..hope u noticed Pres Sayers?

We picked a very poor coach sorry…he failed at Lions cos he played early 2000’s tough footy and a 3 peat and thought that was the std formula to win >>>his game mode is so
outdated its laughable…no change Charlie up the ground when his full back killed him?…swap him with Harry surely? Give him space and put Payne out of his short career comfort zone( by the way he was equal BOG keeping a bloke off 9 to 1……impressed! He can play)

Our friggin  smalls are soo insipid c/w…their 2.. Charlie and Bailey 7/8 between them v 2/3 from us…they can play(both AS smalls but our  running patterns are pathetic….sit under the talls and bring defenders in so Chaz and H have to take a mark in Bourke St Mall its so screwed like U/14 footy…Josh Honey really 5 touches…aaargh 1 shot and of course missed

Surely they have to stretch out both flanks..create scoring options and than hit the contest at pace for the ball drop form the 2 talls…101 footy….. its so frustrating

Sorry Jack…glad u got 100 games but times up… so slow and misses so many 1 grabbers and kicking skills really? 15 m the other night get real
How we going with Jack Martins 600k a year? He has the skill to be a third tall risk like the 5 v Richmond when he first played….sorry about the chasing…but he can hurt the oppo when switched on ….Owies can get 3/4…I dont rate the others…Motlop will grow into it… but is Hansen our fwd coach? Holly screw

a welcome back rant finished……

Reply #136
Welcome back, Gags.

Liked Cerra's media contribution. Though concerned that he mentioned the players were, 'Mentally strong on...' Really? Perhaps it's a work in progress, to give the benefit of the doubt. Interesting that he said not making finals wouldn't be a failure... but remained a goal, like every other club! He can hold his head high for the season he's put together thus far, with he and Chugga (when he finally came on!!!) both strong in their roles.

Based on Young's form you'd hope tall Durds is available. As Ye Rat O' The River pointed out, be good to see Weiters released to half back rather than being anchored to the last line.

Glad the club is challenging Newey's suspension, just push and shove and how 'intentional' could be interpreted from what occurred is odd, to say the least. And how H ended up with a bloodied eye went completely without citing is also 'odd'... it was the very definition of reckless. MRO... crap shoot.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #137
I noticed right from the start of the game the Bears were out to hurt us. They were tackling with intent to hurt and when they won the free kick they certainly told us.
When teams do this physical stuff yeah we might do a bit of push and shove back but it creates perceived pressure and the players panic because they don't want to be tackled harshly and hurt.
We are a NICE team, we have no MONGREL, no one tackles to hurt someone.
You look back to when we were successful, we had all this, Whorethorn played unsocialable, Richmond were dirty.
I'm not saying we go out there and play with high elbows but play angry, play to win, no prisoners. I'm over this nice guy stuff.

Still can't work out the umpiring, they got so many HTB yet we got hardly any. Is it the way we tackle?
Why didn't Harry get a free kick for the whack he copped to the eye. 4 Umpires? WTF were they looking at?
Harry is always being held. Cripps is always being held at stoppages. I thought the 4 ump system was brought in to have extra eyes around contests not divide the ground up into qtrs instead of thirds With each ump sticking to his lane.

The Match committee should be sacked today! Not tomorrow! How many games do we lose and then mention the MC?
We are charlatans, but I thought we did very well last night with a half a playing list made up of VFL standard players.

Agree 100% on the comparisons to Hawks and Tigs - we dont have that ruthlessness

If I see Crippa being held before a stoppage (and then when there was a free pinged for it - it was to Neale!!) or Harry being shoved under the ball in a marking contest (the old Paul Roos trained "tunnel") - i'll scream.  

As for the the HTBs - i am sure that the majoirty of the time McCluggage and Dunkley were tackled, they did the old "pretend to punch the ball out" trick, except that it wasnt being held to them, and it was obvious they werent actually trying to get it out.  also saw a few drag the ball in during the tackle - but im not sure we got a HTB all night???

ah well, that was NOT the reason for the loss - but still craps me!

a few have menitoned it on here - but the number of goals they got out the back, just walking into goal must be a real indicator of how poor our d50 structure was....

Reply #138
Tonyo I think our dare and run was there, we just kept giving it to blokes in Brisbane jumpers. Even the commentators said it one point, I think it was a Weiters grubber kick to a running Doc maybe? The idea was there, the kick was poor which resulted in a slight fumble then Brisbane player pouncing to apply pressure and the TO and it went straight back for a goal. Thats demoralising. I just expect better from players of that that experience.

Confidence maybe??? 

Reply #140
Couldn't sit through Voss' post match press conference. It was same old same old. In management speak people work towards their targets and KPI's. Voss spoke about contested football, clearances, tackles, how hard they're training, working hard and how the boys kept trying. I use to teach this sort of stuff and I always said there are inputs, outputs and through puts but it is outcomes that are the most important. In other words you need to look at the results and not the process. In football the only outcome is the score board. One of the problem at Carlton is that they have the wrong KPI's. We are focusing on contested football, tackling, hard running and playing your role and maybe we should be look at things like decision making with a ratio of good and bad, disposals under pressure with a ratio between good and bad, disposal not under pressure and a ratio between good and bad, selfless acts and risk taking etc. The players would the players would change their mindset and start working towards the new targets because that is how they would get a game. In other words I think we are measuring and rewarding the wrong things. It would also mean the coaches would be coaching different things. If you are not going to change what you are doing then you can't expect the outcome to change. Just a thought.
In the last quarter, Pittonet monstered McInerney, Kennedy ran riot, players attacked the ball, took risks and we actually looked like a finals team. Still made the same mistakes and bloopers we had made earlier, but because we were having a go Brisbane started making mistakes, panicking and became rattled. Why don't we play like we played in the last quarter all the time. Where is our intent. Where is the willingness by players to take a chance and have a go. In the last quarter Kennedy grabbed the ball and kicked the goal. Why don't we just do that all the time. We are clearly incapable of playing perfect football with crisp disposal, why don't we just get the ball forward and play the game on our terms in a contested manner physical manner. we should probably be taking the Kennedy Commandos approach to our football rather than the clinical slick ball movement of the Clarkson era.
I am really sick of it.

A Brain guy for this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #141
One of the biggest issues i had with the umpires the other night is that they were momentum killers.

Not sure how much, if any, showed up on TV, but every time the crowd started getting into it, players started lifting and getting on a roll, out of nowhere was a stupid free kick that is paid like 5% of the time.

It was as predictable as the sun rising each day.

It took the wind out of our sails and turned the match on numerous occassions (or stopped the turning of the match, depending on your point of view)

Reply #142
All this Voss talk is a distraction, we should be protesting over Nic Newman's treatment in this context.

Take a look at that Demon being banned, note there were several players already banned this season for the incidental contact of a shoulder or head, then watch the video of BigH getting his eye split open and ask yourself how can this be?

Either all the earlier cases were unjust, or the BigH case resulting in a nothing is unjust, it has to be one or the other.

Don't blame me for raising this issue, the MRO has done it to himself!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
@LP...Newman is a goose, it was a cheap shot and he got caught.
He let the team down and should know better as one of the teams senior players.

Reply #144
@LP...Newman is a goose, it was a cheap shot and he got caught.
He let the team down and should know better as one of the teams senior players.
Did you see the other angle?

It seems to show Newman stupidly retaliating, but making initial contact with the chest first and Neale flops at the knees to make contact with Newman's forearm as he drops.

I've got no problems with players being penalised for genuine contact, I have a big issue with players being done over by a flop.

In any case, how does the Newman / Neale event explain the McKay eye-opener in the context of the weekends other penalties?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
Coaches' votes :

10 Josh Dunkley (BL)
8 Jack Payne (BL)
4 Charlie Cameron (BL)
3 Adam Cerra (CARL)
3 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)
1 Hugh McCluggage (BL)

Reply #146
Did you see the other angle?

It seems to show Newman stupidly retaliating, but making initial contact with the chest first and Neale flops at the knees to make contact with Newman's forearm as he drops.

I've got no problems with players being penalised for genuine contact, I have a big issue with players being done over by a flop.

In any case, how does the Newman / Neale event explain the McKay eye-opener in the context of the weekends other penalties?
Newman shouldnt be making off the ball contact with Neale anyway imo especially within range of goal and especially  not in front of the umpire. It was clear it was contact to the Jaw and Im sure Neale milked it but it was the stupidity that annoyed me more than anything.
That was a nasty cut near Harry's eye and deserved more attention from the officials, it was called a stray head clash in the media report I read but it looked different from memory.

Reply #147
That was a nasty cut near Harry's eye and deserved more attention from the officials, it was called a stray head clash in the media report I read but it looked different from memory.
FFS, it looked to me like the point of the shoulder.

How do you accidentally hit a 205cm bloke in the head with the point of your shoulder, it's like Cripps continually getting his head ripped off by midgets and not getting a free kick?

The contradiction will be this week, touch Bont above the shoulders and he'll get an instant free kick, he'll probably even kick a goal or two because of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #148
Newman shouldnt be making off the ball contact with Neale anyway imo especially within range of goal and especially  not in front of the umpire. It was clear it was contact to the Jaw and Im sure Neale milked it but it was the stupidity that annoyed me more than anything.

Agree and it’s not the first time that Newman has let his emotions get the better of him. Needs to be more disciplined as one of our senior players.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #149
FFS, it looked to me like the point of the shoulder.

How do you accidentally hit a 205cm bloke in the head with the point of your shoulder, it's like Cripps continually getting his head ripped off by midgets and not getting a free kick?

The contradiction will be this week, touch Bont above the shoulders and he'll get an instant free kick, he'll probably even kick a goal or two because of it!

Accidental head clash! Well, FM. Bullshizen. You're not imagining anything Spotted One... it  was a shoulder or raised elbow.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17