Skip to main content
Topic: In Thailand, is a life is worth 1/10th of a Ferrari! (Read 5118 times) previous topic - next topic

In Thailand, is a life is worth 1/10th of a Ferrari!

It is interesting reading to catch up on the fate of a young heir to the Red Bull fortune in Thailand.

It seems the lad allegedly killed a policeman while driving his Ferrari through the BKK streets at high speed, the family also own the Ferrari dealership.

In compensation to the family of the deceased police officer they allegedly paid a settlement of $93k to avoid a civil case. $93K probably 1/10th the cost of the Ferrari in Thailand.

That came after another high ranking official allegedly tried to cover it up by arresting a helpless patsy.

Who said the world was fair, and what chance for Australia to deal on even terms in the region with a culture like this on our doorstep?
The Force Awakens!

Re: In Thailand, is a life is worth 1/10th of a Ferrari!

Reply #1
What rubbish !!

That little sh1t should be put in jail, not have the family buy off the charge.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2
Different culture, different values, and different ways of doing things.

I'm sure they think a lot of our practices are weird ( FFS I think our political system is weird  ::) ). 

The challenge is for both parties to recognise the differences, accept them and not be judgmental of each other.  It should then be possible to deal appropriately with each other, but not necessarily on equal terms.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3

I'm sure they think a lot of our practices are weird ( FFS I think our political system is weird  ::) ). 

The challenge is for both parties to recognise the differences, accept them and not be judgmental of each other.  It should then be possible to deal appropriately with each other, but not necessarily on equal terms.

There is different and there is plain stoopid. $93,000 for a life is O.K. if their culture lives by this system ? Is that what your saying ? Its lucky I don't have a spare $800,000 lying around and living in Thailand. This entire story is rubbish right ? There isn't really a culture that would accept this as justice ? I'm the weirdo here, aren't I. :o
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4

And if he came here on holiday and drove over your lover, child or mother?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

Great question LP and also to add. How would people feel if it happened to someone we were close to, who happened to be over there at the time ??
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #6

You have to go by the values and laws of the country you're in.  Break our laws and you're subject to our justice system.  Break their laws in their country and you're subject to their justice system.  That doesn't mean you have to agree with the death penalty for drug smuggling, just don't smuggle drugs.

I don't normally have a lot of time for Bob Katter and I can't stand animal cruelty.  However, I recently heard Katter talking about the reaction to the killing of the Australian steer in Indonesia (that led to the suspension of live cattle exports) and he asked what right do we have to impose our values on Indonesian butchering practices?  I think that is a fair question, after all, in the immortal words of the Backsliders "the facts are not only in English".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7

You have to go by the values and laws of the country you're in.  Break our laws and you're subject to our justice system.  Break their laws in their country and you're subject to their justice system.  That doesn't mean you have to agree with the death penalty for drug smuggling, just don't smuggle drugs.

I don't normally have a lot of time for Bob Katter and I can't stand animal cruelty.  However, I recently heard Katter talking about the reaction to the killing of the Australian steer in Indonesia (that led to the suspension of live cattle exports) and he asked what right do we have to impose our values on Indonesian butchering practices?  I think that is a fair question, after all, in the immortal words of the Backsliders "the facts are not only in English".

DJ....I dont have a problem observing other countries laws if I am a guest especially on the issue of drugs as I have zero tolerance for dealers etc...but The facts are the facts...in English or any other language...cruelty to animals like cruelty to humans is all wrong. When I see a cow tied up and beaten/teased for no reason before they eventually put it out of its suffering I'd like to do similar to the scum that are handing out this treatment. I wonder what Bob Katter would think about the Syrian govt using sarin gas on the local population......or would he call that some traditional Syrian values being invoked....?
Bob needs to remove that big hat he wears so he can see the big picture and not just the farm in queensland...

re: the Thailand incident....its all wrong but when you have a country that runs on the sex trade and life is so cheap its hardly surprising.
Seems you can buy your way out of anything there..been to Thailand but I wont be going back...

Reply #8
re: the Thailand incident....its all wrong but when you have a country that runs on the sex trade and life is so cheap its hardly surprising.
Seems you can buy your way out of anything there..been to Thailand but I wont be going back...

That's probably the key EB; life is cheap and $93K is an awful lot of money for someone with next to nothing and in a country that is largely a subsistence economy. 

Reply #9

To continue the digression...
There's a difference between allowing other cultures to behave in whatever manner they want, and continuing to live export livestock knowing that they will end up recieving what we would consider sub standard treatment.
I think Katter should be aware of this fact. Sure we can't impose our will on them. But if they want our cattle and sheep to arrive alive, then we can sure impose some conditions on the practice.
Katter's arguement is like saying that we should continue to buy goods manufactured by 6 year old slaves in sub continent sweatshops because they are cheap and we have no right to say how children are treated in different cultures.

Reply #10
In Arab and Islam law there is the concept of Diyyat, or blood money, paid by the family/clan of the perpetrator of crimes including murder, to the family/clan of the victim as retribution. I think this can even include, by agreement,  payment to the heirs of a murder victim instead of execution of the perpetrator.
Reality always wins in the end.