Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 66395 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #15
Reckon you nailed it DJ but I think Lang might be in for big Harry.....not many would have Thomas in either but like you
I think we will go for some experience over a newbie like Dow initially....

Harry will have to do well in the pre-season if he's going to play Rd 1 and I hope he does.  We need a mobile tall forward to free Charlie to work more up the ground.  I think Lang will come in if Harry doesn't get a gig.

I can't see Dow and O'Brien getting a game without first shining in the NBs and Dow is coming off a shoulder reco.  Of course, good form in the pre-season could change that and I guess that applies to so many on our list now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Nearest the pin round 1 team?

B   Byrne, Ciaran   Silvagni, Alex (R)   Plowman, Lachlan
HB   Mullett, Aaron   Jones, Liam   Marchbank, Caleb
C   Curnow, Charlie   Cripps, Patrick   Murphy, Marc
HF   Garlett, Jarrod   Casboult, Levi   Lamb, Jed
F   Pickett, Jarrod   Weitering, Jacob   Silvagni, Jack
R   Kreuzer, Matthew   Kennedy, Matthew   Petrevski-Seton, Sam
IC   Dow, Paddy   Simpson, Kade   Wright, Matthew
   Curnow, Edward      

E Fisher, Zac   Lang, Darcy   McKay, Harry
No Willo? No Chance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
B     Plowman      Weitering       Simpson
HB   O’Shea         Jones            Marchbank
C     Mullett         Kennedy        Curnow, E
HF   Wright         Casboult        Silvagni, J
F     Pickett         Curnow, C      Petrevski-Seton
R     Kreuzer       Cripps            Murphy
IC    Fisher, Thomas, Williamson, McKay        
E     Cuningham, Garlett, O'Brien
Now we're talking DJ. Pretty good side that and close to what I'd name. I think Dow will play round 1 somehow.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #18
Here's my attempt. My guess is that there may be some preseason comp bolters but if I had to guess now, I'd guess as follows:

FB   Kade Simpson   Liam Jones   Lachie Plowman
HB   Tom Williamson   Jacob Weitering   Caleb Marchbank
C   Ed Curnow   Patrick Cripps   Sam Petrveski Seton
HF   Jarrod Pickett   Levi Casboult   Charlie Curnow
FF   Jack Silvagni   Harry McKay   Matthew Wright
R   Matthew Kreuzer   Marc Murphy   Matthew Kennedy

INT   Paddy Dow   Zach Fisher   
   Darcy Lang   Jed Lamb   

Emerg   Aaron Mullet   Dale Thomas   Cam Oshea
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #19
If Richmond play 5 small forwards, our choice of back 6 will be interesting........

Reply #20
If Richmond play 5 small forwards, our choice of back 6 will be interesting........

Plowman > Butler
Jones > Riewoldt
Williamson > Rioli
Simpson > Lambert
Marchbank > Martin
Weitering > Caddy

Mullett could be part of the defensive rotation too, along with O'Shea.

Our defenders are versatile enough to play up the ground if a small forward has too much pace.  However, if we smash the Richmond forwards as we should, it will be Hardwick trying to come up with positional changes to negate our defenders.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Plowman > Butler
Jones > Riewoldt
Williamson > Rioli
Simpson > Lambert
Marchbank > Martin
Weitering > Caddy

Our defenders are versatile enough to play up the ground if a small forward has too much pace.  However, if we smash the Richmond forwards as we should, it will be Hardwick trying to come up with positional changes to negate our defenders.

Might have missed a couple DJ....Townsend and Graham will be starters for sure given their finals form.......strong units the both of them, maybe Castagna too is another who might play
Weitering is very slow...Caddy aint quick but I think would have our bloke covered for pace, Marchbank on Martin is also a worry for pace, I'd almost think about Jones when he plays forward.
We dont matchup very well with the new Richmond forward group IMO our traditional defenders are not quick and I reckon  we need to win this game from the midfield and limit their forward entries, I just think if they get enough opportunities we wont be able to stop their small/mid forwards...
Kruezer, Cripps and crew have to dominate Nankervis , Cotchin etc.....you cant have players like Lambert getting 25 possies and sneaking down forward unmanned..
The other bloke who needs manning up is Houli.....he has run us ragged last few games and is a driving force off half back, Bolton needs to life his game tactics wise and react a bit quicker to players who are hurting us...
The other aspect of our game that needs changing vs the Tigers is bombing the ball to Rance and Astbury who just intercept mark too easy....frustrates me no end seeing those two take easy marks unopposed...

Reply #22
Plowman > Butler
Jones > Riewoldt
Williamson > Rioli
Simpson > Lambert
Marchbank > Martin
Weitering > Caddy

Rioli wont play round they reckon so thats one less headache.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
Might have missed a couple DJ....Townsend and Graham will be starters for sure given their finals form.......strong units the both of them, maybe Castagna too is another who might play
Weitering is very slow...Caddy aint quick but I think would have our bloke covered for pace, Marchbank on Martin is also a worry for pace, I'd almost think about Jones when he plays forward.
We dont matchup very well with the new Richmond forward group IMO our traditional defenders are not quick and I reckon  we need to win this game from the midfield and limit their forward entries, I just think if they get enough opportunities we wont be able to stop their small/mid forwards...
Kruezer, Cripps and crew have to dominate Nankervis , Cotchin etc.....you cant have players like Lambert getting 25 possies and sneaking down forward unmanned..
The other bloke who needs manning up is Houli.....he has run us ragged last few games and is a driving force off half back, Bolton needs to life his game tactics wise and react a bit quicker to players who are hurting us...
The other aspect of our game that needs changing vs the Tigers is bombing the ball to Rance and Astbury who just intercept mark too easy....frustrates me no end seeing those two take easy marks unopposed...

I'm not too worried about Castagna, he'd have to be the worst shot for goal going around at the moment.

You're right though, the keys to victory are dominating the midfield and minimising their rebound 50s. 

Reply #24

Personnel aside, I think that will indeed be the essence of this game EB. We need base our game first of all on shutting them down by tackling hard, winning contested ball and chasing hard when they have possession. In addition we must improve our disposal generally, move the ball into attack more quickly and avoid costly turnovers at all costs. In fact, pretty much what we've been asking for for a long time. Hopefully we have developed and found some more of the horses to enable us to do that now.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Reckon you nailed it DJ but I think Lang might be in for big Harry.....not many would have Thomas in either but like you

I just remember Samo last year. Zero preseason. Played round 1. Weit,  etc. Played round 1 the year before also. Dow could still be injured though.

Reply #26
I went to a wine gig at the G tonight. Spoke to several tigers' fans. All said yeah, we're pretty ordinary, we just got lucky.

Let's remember that.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
It's clearly getting tough for spots.

Several players who can fill various roles etc.

I think of the new blokes to CFC in 2018, Kennedy and Land are certainties in the 22, Garlett, O'Shea and O'Brien are highly likely.

Who misses out is the tough part....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28

I must not be too nice at Christmas, I have duty to balance the force, otherwise I'd be inclined to agree!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
I want O'Shea marking Rance tightly and Weiters or DeKoning to stand Astbury and told to block them & spoil at all costs. Make them earn their possessions. We can't take the Richmond backline lightly...it is their great strength.

I want a player with size & a fearful prescence ala 'Duke' Spalding to create some carnage in the Tigers backline. I will be filthy if McKay gets double-teamed in rnd.1 just because Bolton is still perfecting match-ups up the ground...or trialling a small forwardline which gets out-marked all night.