Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 68894 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #165
No doubt cookie. I guess my point is that either :
a. Murphy isn't that bad, or
b. He is bad, which means the rest of our recent teams, past and present, have been positively dire in terms of leadership.

The answer is B but our future looks to be in good hands.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #166
I don't think our ranks were exactly bursting with leadership potential P. I have confidence though that this is being seriously addressed but it just takes a bit of time, especially with the focus on youth.

I guess that's fair enough cookie.

Reply #167
Or was he trying to get the designated minder to do his job; I don't really see Gibbs as the right match up for Dusty, not that we have to worry about that anymore  ;)

I'm in two minds about how to deal with Dusty.  I think Thry has a point about not being Dusty-centric; stop his team mates and his influence will be limited.  However, I don't think he can be left to run riot, particularly when he goes forward.

I reckon Alex Silvagni could be the man for the job, but perhaps only when Dusty goes forward.  A tag team of Ed Curnow, Kennedy and perhaps Byrne could put some pressure on him in the midfield.

They used to do it to Judd.

This was the main reason 2012 was so embarrassing.

Think back to the St. Kilda game where they went after ED curnow and ended his game.  Then they smashed Carrazzo, and later on Murphy copped the same treatment.

Do the same to Richmond.  Smash the little twerps into the ground!!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #169
Including Judd, ever the obedient one.

One has to wonder why, despite never ending proclamations of a full cultural reset, big big changes at the club's upper levels, unprecedented levels of player turnover, the club cannot find one player, not a single one, to replace Murphy the Marshmallow as captain ? 60, 70, 80 ? players have worn the Navy Blue in the last few years, and yet here we are.

Maybe the problem isn't Murphy ?

Have a listen to Murphy's interview on the club website; he is not a problem and never has been.  The problem was lack of talent and lack of support (both physically and in leadership).  SOS's focus on drafting lads of good character and Bolton's focus on leadership have addressed the lack of support and, hopefully, the lack of talent is also being addressed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #170
I think the problems of the past primarily resided with the antiquated coach and players like Tuohy and Henderson who delivered butter.

They used to do it to Judd.

This was the main reason 2012 was so embarrassing.

Think back to the St. Kilda game where they went after ED curnow and ended his game.  Then they smashed Carrazzo, and later on Murphy copped the same treatment.

Do the same to Richmond.  Smash the little twerps into the ground!!

Tough to do that when your captain or better players have three opponents working them over and your team-mate in Tuohy or Henderson jogs past with an invisibility cloak on! ACoS and a couple of the younger guys Macreadie, Wettering, Ploiwman and Williamson are rapidly fixing this problem, but good riddance to those piddly players we've "lost"!

We still have a couple of Tarzan's who play like Jane, guys who happily jump all over someone's back but miraculously always find themselves out of the contest when the ball comes in slow and high with them in front. Thankfully, their ranks are rapidly thinning! There is nothing more disheartening for a team than having one of the giants wearing a Tom-Thumb heart!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171
Who could forget a few years ago when Gibbs started a brawl with the bombers on the siren then Mitch Robinson came into back him up and Bryce jogged off to let him fight them on his own?

Should have traded the man bun back then.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #172
Who could forget a few years ago when Gibbs started a brawl with the bombers on the siren then Mitch Robinson came into back him up and Bryce jogged off to let him fight them on his own?

I'm pretty sure that push and shove mainly involved Heppell.

Forget Robbo - the kid doing the Woollies half time oranges would scare young Dyson.

Reply #173

Robinson, how good would it be to have him besides ACoS at the moment giving these kids some cover!

Rhetorically, why did Malthouse kibosh Robinson yet allow players like Didak, Shaw, Swan, Thomas and Beams stay at Collingwood, didn't they all lie to the coach at some stage?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #174

x2

Reply #175
Robinson, how good would it be to have him besides ACoS at the moment giving these kids some cover!

Rhetorically, why did Malthouse kibosh Robinson yet allow players like Didak, Shaw, Swan, Thomas and Beams stay at Collingwood, didn't they all lie to the coach at some stage?

Beams wasnt part of the ratpack, but you can add Tarrant and Ben Johnson......Pies were successful so numpties like those mentioned survived because they had star player status.
Robbo wasnt a star player and we were unsuccessful and the footy dept needed a couple of fall guys to lay blame on...

Reply #178
I just saw footage of the brawl for the first time, not sure why our boys felt the need to lie.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/cctv-released-of-melbourne-footballer-jeff-garletts-involvement-in-brawl/news-story/a93624135723cd56a2e8e491a1700923

Didn't they break a team curfew!

Hardly a criminal act, like firing a handgun into a vacant factory! ::)

But who am I to judge, I must be biased! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #179
Jones to stand Riewoldt, and Richmond by 6 goals.