Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 88982 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #90
Really ? I thought he came across as a petulant, entitled little sh1t......which has been my take on him from the get go.

Maybe he'll mature one day.....but as someone who's followed motor racing for most of 40 years....and grew up listening to my Dad tell stories of watching the likes of Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Graeme Hill, Bruce McLaren etc. racing around country roads in Northern Tassie.......the current f1 drivers for the most part leave me completely cold.

Maybe it's generational thing....but most of them just have no sort of engaging personality whatsoever.  Riccardo excepted.
Agree 100% with the bold bit. FWIW, I dont like Ricciardo much either. He started off as your typical humble aussie sportsman in a world of fuel injected egos. He has quickly adapted and become one of them. For a bloke who has achieved two tenths of fark all (in terms of poles, wins and championships), he should get back to basics and STFU with the attitude. The champion drivers get down and dirty and help the team figure out problems with the car. Schumacher went to a dog of a team riddled with issues and worked his ass off to help get Ferrari back up to the top of the tree. Ricciardo chooses to sook up when the car breaks down and its why he'll never win a championship or be considered one of the all time greats.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
Interesting to read Ricciardo's comments about being snubbed by Ferrari and Mercedes.

Ricciardo himself leaves it unstated, but it's pretty clear to F1 fans that this is more likely to be about the influence of the incumbents in those teams and not so much the choice of other drivers over Ricciardo.

Why would Vettel or Hamilton want any serious challenger when they can comfortably remain entrenched with a B-Grade team-mate, and why would those teams risk insulting those incumbents who bring in the big dollars?

In F1, money is the root of all evil!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
I recently saw an interesting F1 trivia item.

The South African army has a remote control mine detection vehicle that uses wheels and tyres left over from the South African Grand Prix.  Apparently, the wide, smooth tyres distribute the weight of the vehicle so that it doesn’t detonate mines or IEDs.

Can you imagine our armed forces, or those of our allies, making use of second hand kit, let alone in such an innovative way?

That’s about the extent of my interest in F1 ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
I recently saw an interesting F1 trivia item.

The South African army has a remote control mine detection vehicle that uses wheels and tyres left over from the South African Grand Prix.  Apparently, the wide, smooth tyres distribute the weight of the vehicle so that it doesn’t detonate mines or IEDs.

Can you imagine our armed forces, or those of our allies, making use of second hand kit, let alone in such an innovative way?

That’s about the extent of my interest in F1 ????

I suspect it's not just the rubber but the carbon fibre rims, many modern IEDs targetting vehicles require both pressure and magnetic, they won't go off if your neighbours donkey steps on them! F1 would be a good source of cheap hardware for the researchers, because they make them so light a as a result relatively fragile they basically throw away the rims after a race due to the risk of fatigue failure.

I've worked in a group that did some of the R&D with Deakin Uni for a Geelong company called Carbon Evolution, and I know they have blast tested ruggidised versions for light transport vehicles like Troupies and the Hawkei / Bushmaster / Marauder type armoured trucks. You can read a bit here, http://www.carbonrev.com/motorsports
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Interesting to read Hamilton has equalled or is about to equal a bunch of Schumacher's records.

Hamilton is probably the best of the bunch at the moment, and he has maintained a long period of tenancy in the fastest car, which means he betters his team-mates regularly. Does that make Hamilton the driver equal of Schumacher, Senna or some other greats?

I do realise there was a lot of politics in the Schumacher era, but I don't think there is any less now, it's just delivered differently.

I'm not sure modern F1 is a true measure of driver, for me there is too much remote control influenced by engineers and technology, technology that allows cars to be reconfigured on the fly. I preferred the old days, when how a car left the grid was how the car performed, all configured and setup in advance.

I particularly dislike drivers begging over the radio mid-race for permission to dial up more power.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
Interesting to read Hamilton has equalled or is about to equal a bunch of Schumacher's records.

Hamilton is probably the best of the bunch at the moment, and he has maintained a long period of tenancy in the fastest car, which means he betters his team-mates regularly. Does that make Hamilton the driver equal of Schumacher, Senna or some other greats?

I do realise there was a lot of politics in the Schumacher era, but I don't think there is any less now, it's just delivered differently.

I'm not sure modern F1 is a true measure of driver, for me there is too much remote control influenced by engineers and technology, technology that allows cars to be reconfigured on the fly. I preferred the old days, when how a car left the grid was how the car performed, all configured and setup in advance.

I particularly dislike drivers begging over the radio mid-race for permission to dial up more power.
Agree in part, it still takes a hell of a lot of skill to drive these things, they are so blisteringly fast compared to the older cars which despite being very loud, are not a patch on these hybrid ones speed wise. Hamilton as driver is as good as there has ever been, he is clean and fast when he needs to be. He is a master at qualifying and rarely crashes. I understand he is in the best car but there has always been another guy in the same car and he has shown them a clean pair of heals. He is also a racer and by that, I mean he can negotiate his way through the field when he finds himself at the back. Someone like Damon Hill for example was blisteringly fast but could negotiate an F1 car in traffic to save himself. A front runner.
As a person, he is giving me the s h i t s with his BLM stuff in the way that he is cracking it with the drivers who wont take a knee. He is acting like a spoiled brat which is is turning me off. Spose Ill be branded racist for not agreeing with him.
By the way, its interesting to hear him take this so very seriously and be so vocal about statues symbolizing racism being torn down
 and thrown in rivers yet he happily takes cheques from Mercedes and Hugo Boss  (plastered all over his clothing) who have chequered pasts with respect to use of slave labour.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #96

I think you'll find this one is about fuel consumption and strategy rather than anything else, but you are right based on everything else.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
re Hamilton breaking records....
Noone can doubt he is a great driver.

There are more races in a season now.
So if you have a good car, you can rack up more wins, podiums etc in any given year now than in schumachers era.

As a result, its not really apples and apples

Reply #98
Engine being turned up & down is also because they only have a certain number of engines they can use in a season without being penalised so don't want them to break early.

Reply #99
Engine being turned up & down is also because they only have a certain number of engines they can use in a season without being penalised so don't want them to break early.

Correct.

Its no longer push push push.
Its all about 'manage, manage, manage'. Engine, tyres, fuel.....  ::)

Reply #100
Correct.

Its no longer push push push.
Its all about 'manage, manage, manage'. Engine, tyres, fuel.....  ::)
But that is my point, drivers running cars at 100% for 5 seconds stride past cars being managed at 90%, ............ and get lauded for overtaking prowess!

Then the same driver is being managed at 90% can't get past a back marker and spends 5 minutes begging for permission to turn the power back up ...................... it almost feels like a fraud!

How can anyone make any worthwhile value judgement about driver skills when a 3rd party not even in the car has such variable influence across a race?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
I wonder what Fangio or Nuvolari would make of all of this, looking down?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #102
I wonder what Fangio or Nuvolari would make of all of this, looking down?
Interesting reading an article  on Todt visiting Schuey last week. He said its hard to compare drivers from different eras to determine who is the best ever. Schuey is the most successful at present with 7 WC's until Ham passes him. But yes, Fangio, Nuvolari, Ascari, Moss, Hill, Surtees, Villenueve  et al will be looking down, with their balls of steel in a cupped hand, smirking at the nancy boys of today.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #103
I understand the sentiment, but the olden days argument is a bit like saying Airbags......Pffft!

It's a very hard question to answer, I think the safety and technological upgrades are good, but the contest should be strictly and rigorously limited to the drivers.

I suspect the only thing allowing F1 to persist, the thing stopping alternatives from rising, are the legal and contractual barriers that it wields with a big $stick.

It's interesting, that apparently there was a survey last season or the season before, polling F1 drivers, and they almost universally agreed that Carting is the pinnacle of motor sport as a raw measure of ability. In this I read between the lines, and infer that F1 is the reward you get for being among the best at Carting.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
I understand the sentiment, but the olden days argument is a bit like saying Airbags......Pffft!

It's a very hard question to answer, I think the safety and technological upgrades are good, but the contest should be strictly and rigorously limited to the drivers.

I suspect the only thing allowing F1 to persist, the thing stopping alternatives from rising, are the legal and contractual barriers that it wields with a big $stick.

It's interesting, that apparently there was a survey last season or the season before, polling F1 drivers, and they almost universally agreed that Carting is the pinnacle of motor sport as a raw measure of ability. In this I read between the lines, and infer that F1 is the reward you get for being among the best at Carting.
Carting is pure, no driver aids, equal (or as close as fark is to swearing) equipment. Man to man combat on wheels, driver weight being the only real problem. Im ok with the safety items in F1 such as the HALO and stuff, Jules Bianchi would still be here if they were introduced a few years earlier. I would love F1 to have more parity and really see the drivers go toe to toe.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th