Skip to main content
Topic: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3334 times) previous topic - next topic

2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Coming up this Wednesday at 1815 at Carlton.
We should get a few guys back, which is promising.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
A bit of talk around that the VFL match may be under a cloud because of the weather

Reply #2
A bit of talk around that the VFL match may be under a cloud because of the weather

It’s now a closed game with spectators only allowed in for the main event.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Apparently Zac Williams is down to play in the VFL game …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Team’s announced and no surprises.

Pitto comes in, along with Binns, Cincotta and Billy Wilson.

Sam Durdin and Chugga will have a run with Zac Williams in the VFL squad.

Reply #5
So our boys play 2 practice matches in high 30s. Not sure if this is better prep or worse for the real stuff

Reply #6
What possible benefits can there be for players having to play in such stressful conditions?

Surely there has to be a cutoff temperature to protect the  players.

If the AFL is comfortable with a projected temperature of 37 degrees, what is the temperature where it will say that protection of the players' health is paramount?

Reply #7
What possible benefits can there be for players having to play in such stressful conditions?

Surely there has to be a cutoff temperature to protect the  players.

If the AFL is comfortable with a projected temperature of 37 degrees, what is the temperature where it will say that protection of the players' health is paramount?

We're playing Brisbane in Brisbane in Opening Round.  Any edge they would have had in hot conditions will be reduced by our practice game conditions.

It's not so long ago that clubs would have forked out for a training camp in 30 degree heat.  Virtually every game in the NTFL season is played in similar conditions and those clubs don't have the medicos and conditioning staff and facilities that our players enjoy.

I imagine that the playing conditions will be modified in line with the AFL's extreme heat policy.  That is, reduced warm up time, extended breaks between quarters and more water joeys.  The benches may have misting fans.

Reply #8
There's  heat and there is Brisbane heat  it's the humidity up here that's the killer and summer is still very much here at the moment. It's a night game which takes the edge off the heat but even around 7.00 it's still air condition weather. It will be three draining games in a row

Reply #9
There's  heat and there is Brisbane heat  it's the humidity up here that's the killer and summer is still very much here at the moment. It's a night game which takes the edge off the heat but even around 7.00 it's still air condition weather. It will be three draining games in a row

I’m not sure that the Geelong match sim was ‘draining’ Lods but don’t we pay Jack Russell big bucks to ensure that the players can deal with conditions and back up the next week and beyond?

We’ve had a fairly mild summer but it has been very humid.  We should be more than ready for Opening Round in Brisbane.

Reply #10
I’m not sure that the Geelong match sim was ‘draining’ Lods but don’t we pay Jack Russell big bucks to ensure that the players can deal with conditions and back up the next week and beyond?

We’ve had a fairly mild summer but it has been very humid.  We should be more than ready for Opening Round in Brisbane.

There's humidity  and there's Brisbane humidity. :D
I haven't been outside since October :))

That's not exactly true.
I got sunburnt in the shade at 8.00am in the morning at Auskick last week.

Reply #11
It seems that BoM may have got the forecast wrong.

The temperature is in the mid 20s here on the Bellarine Peninsula but it's overcast and not at all as you'd expect for a day in the high 30s.  I just checked the rain radar and there's light rain approaching from the west.  It's over the bushfire area now but is probably more nuisance value than a help.

Reply #12
It seems that BoM may have got the forecast wrong.

The temperature is in the mid 20s here on the Bellarine Peninsula but it's overcast and not at all as you'd expect for a day in the high 30s.  I just checked the rain radar and there's light rain approaching from the west.  It's over the bushfire area now but is probably more nuisance value than a help.

The people of North Queensland will be shocked to hear that a BoM could get a forecast wrong. :))

Reply #13
Weather update; overcast, 25 degrees, humid and light rain falling at my place.

I believe it's a bit warmer in Melbourne but it is raining there now.

Reply #14
Northern suburbs of Melbourne was 30 (+?) degrees and mostly cloudy.
Sprinking of rain has come and gone and last all of 2 minutes
Still hot.