Skip to main content
Topic: Giants Trample Blues - Post Match (Read 48580 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Giants Trample Blues - Post Match

Reply #45
Gibbs was good Mossie. 10 clearances. Most on the ground.

10 clearances, perhaps....zero influence around the ground. Don't think he got out of 2nd gear at any point.

Didn't have many friends at the ground i can tell ya.

Reply #46
Was there a game on? What happened, did we win?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
10 clearances, perhaps....zero influence around the ground. Don't think he got out of 2nd gear at any point.

I'd say 10 clearances is having a fair influence around the ground.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #48
I guess I was also influenced by his stats, they were very good and the commentators were complimentary of his performance. Watching the game I thought he was much better than a few weeks back. But I do agree that for some odd reason he just doesn't seem to hurt opposition sides with his numerous possessions.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49

Thanks krudds at least we can agree on something...gibbs is a lazy light one dimensional footballer that doesnt inspire a group of men...

Reply #50
Persevering would've been giving him a go.

I really don't see how this confirms him as no good, not exactly the best game to judge him on.

Fair point, it is unfair to judge after one game. But he doesn't look like advancing. He managed just 3 touches for the game. When he got near the ball he was out of position and struggling to gain seperation from his opponent. He doesn't get off the ground much, nor does he run enough to create space. For a bloke his size and age he should have been playing much stronger in the seconds consistently but he is not. He got a game because we are bereft of forward options.  He may play again next week, but for a player on his last chance it is difficult to see a bright future.

Reply #51
@B4L

Successful clubs at least take the time to give a first rounder a fair crack at a career.

Mitch Thorpe, pick 6 at the 2006 draft, played 2 senior games for Hawthorn, delisted in 2009.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #52
Fair point, it is unfair to judge after one game. But he doesn't look like advancing. He managed just 3 touches for the game. When he got near the ball he was out of position and struggling to gain seperation from his opponent. He doesn't get off the ground much, nor does he run enough to create space. For a bloke his size and age he should have been playing much stronger in the seconds consistently but he is not. He got a game because we are bereft of forward options.  He may play again next week, but for a player on his last chance it is difficult to see a bright future.

When you put it like that it's hard to argue but I just want to see him play five games straight, just like Jones did. We owe it to ourselves as a club.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #53

Football supporters commonly single out the better players when the team is going badly, Richardson copped it for years at Richmond.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #54
People defending Gibbs' performance today......oh purlease, now I've heard it all.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #55
even Jones is better than what we are seeing.

Our forwards have no hope because they don't get passed the ball.

The ball is kicked in their vicinity,  high up and slowly.  Only Levi can do something with it, because of his size and his hands.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
I'd say 10 clearances is having a fair influence around the ground.
Firstly, i don't consider clearances as being 'around the ground', when i say that term i mean in general play. Not from a stoppage.

Secondly, even using your interpretation, 10 clearances = fair influence.......Not really. I think that stat is becoming very misleading.

Just had a quick look to see if my assumptions were correct before i went into great detail about it.

Basically Cam Wood proves what i'm talking about. Tonight, he had 6 clearances. You know what his clearances were? Grab the ball out of the ruck, and throw it on the boot. He has been doing it all year. Great, we get the clearance, but how often does it actually go to a teammate, how often does it go to our advantage at all?

It's kinda like the hitouts. The number of hitouts players get is essentially an irrelevent stat. The hitouts to advantage is what matters. For the record, Mumford smashed that tonight he had 15 hitouts to advantage halfway through the last quarter. Wood had 2.
Which player had more influence around the ground? Mumford only had 1 clearance but had 4 contested marks and was presenting around the ground a lot more than Wood.

Back to stoppages...
Judd averages more stoppages a game than anyone else on our list.
You know who averages the second most? Yup. Cam Wood.
Carrazzo 3rd
Cripps =4th
Gibbs =4th

Even Warnock averages more clearances than Murphy! Does that make him a better player?

Stoppages are overrated.
Gibbs is overrated.

Reply #57
People defending Gibbs' performance today......oh purlease, now I've heard it all.....

He was clearly our best player today, make of that what you will.

Reply #58
Football supporters commonly single out the better players when the team is going badly, Richardson copped it for years at Richmond.

To paraphrase Barrassi. "You give me EFFORT and i'll shutup!"

I'm not one to jump on Gibbs every week, but after watching him coast around tonight, i can't let him get commended for it. He is much better than that.

Reply #59
He was clearly our best player today, make of that what you will.

Is that opinion or fact? I'd suggest the former.
Football is life, there is nothing else....