Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 65569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #15
It's also in many cases their 'unwanted' first rounders which puts us well behind.

Yes, I agree we're not getting the cream of their talent, but we are still getting pretty good players. And don't forget, we have a number of our own "top end" 1st rounders, so we are getting as close as it's possible to get IMO.

Reply #16
Yes, I agree we're not getting the cream of their talent, but we are still getting pretty good players. And don't forget, we have a number of our own "top end" 1st rounders, so we are getting as close as it's possible to get IMO.

We've just about run out of currency now though.
The young good players we want to keep.
The older ones probably wouldn't draw a top 10 pick.

Reply #17
We've just about run out of currency now though.
The young good players we want to keep.
The older ones probably wouldn't draw a top 10 pick.

Yes, that's true, which is partly why we're not planning too many changes in the future.

Reply #18
@Baggers
Interesting post Baggers. From what you are saying, has BB created somewhat of a cosy sheltered workshop where there is not a enough desire and hunger - the kind of hunger that bites and makes you ache to catch a meal i.e. success? BB plays his cards very close to his chest and gives very little away of anything so imo it's a bit hard to guess at what is going on in the inner sanctum.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Baggers, we were able to game the previous pre draft system because we had the means to do so. Elliott was successful in a time when the model suited his monetised, corporatised world view, and I don’t knock him for that. My knock on him is that he couldn’t or wouldn’t change when he needed to, and when the jig was well and truly up.

I must be one of the few who feel they understand Bolton quite clearly. “not deviating” means that we won’t go back to messiahs, singling out individuals etc. I don’t think it means he won’t amend the game plan etc. But coaches have a belief in certain things that work, things that have worked for them in the past, and things they expect will work for them now.

“Not putting a ceiling on” means partly not being able to predict the future, and not wanting to put a limit on what the team can achieve.

“Not getting too high or low” is simply about not letting emotions and rash thoughts / behaviours get in the way of clear rational thought. Not thinking their sh1t is beautifully fragrant when they win, and not jumping off bridges when they lose.

Clearly, you find his manner and phrases irritating or deceptive. I find he’s pretty straight up, but I guess his way of talking isn’t for everyone.

Reply #20
Paul I think BB would indeed irritate some people. He has the air of someone who has total confidence in what he's doing but, for now at least, is not willing to share his inner thoughts with anyone outside his immediate circle. I guess a few of us feel a bit left out of the loop and that can breed a bit of "nose out of joint syndrome". I mean I sometimes feel a little as if here we have this jovial smiling little character who is very happy to talk but at the end you wonder what he really told you. He's very good at only telling you so much, but in the nicest paaarsible way!

Reply #21
Paul I think BB would indeed irritate some people. He has the air of someone who has total confidence in what he's doing but, for now at least, is not willing to share his inner thoughts with anyone outside his immediate circle. I guess a few of us feel a bit left out of the loop and that can breed a bit of "nose out of joint syndrome". I mean I sometimes feel a little as if here we have this jovial smiling little character who is very happy to talk but at the end you wonder what he really told you. He's very good at only telling you so much, but in the nicest paaarsible way!

Yes, I can see that some folks aren't happy with the answers he gives, but I have no problem with them. Hopefully, he's an Honours graduate from the Eddie McGuire "Tell 'Em Nothing" academy. The media are desperate for any morsel, anything firm they can use against you in the future. We only need to recall Malthouse's "I can't see us losing a game" to see how those useless hacks will latch onto any piece of junk to run a "story." I think Bolts slipped up on the weekend when he talked about a win or two before the bye.

Reply #22
Yes, I can see that some folks aren't happy with the answers he gives, but I have no problem with them. Hopefully, he's an Honours graduate from the Eddie McGuire "Tell 'Em Nothing" academy. The media are desperate for any morsel, anything firm they can use against you in the future. We only need to recall Malthouse's "I can't see us losing a game" to see how those useless hacks will latch onto any piece of junk to run a "story." I think Bolts slipped up on the weekend when he talked about a win or two before the bye.

Yes I reckon the sniffing media hounds would hate the way he handles them. I see they're putting clouds over his future now hoping to get him to talk!  :))

Reply #23
Baggers, we were able to game the previous pre draft system because we had the means to do so. Elliott was successful in a time when the model suited his monetised, corporatised world view, and I don’t knock him for that. My knock on him is that he couldn’t or wouldn’t change when he needed to, and when the jig was well and truly up.

I must be one of the few who feel they understand Bolton quite clearly. “not deviating” means that we won’t go back to messiahs, singling out individuals etc. I don’t think it means he won’t amend the game plan etc. But coaches have a belief in certain things that work, things that have worked for them in the past, and things they expect will work for them now.

“Not putting a ceiling on” means partly not being able to predict the future, and not wanting to put a limit on what the team can achieve.

“Not getting too high or low” is simply about not letting emotions and rash thoughts / behaviours get in the way of clear rational thought. Not thinking their sh1t is beautifully fragrant when they win, and not jumping off bridges when they lose.

Clearly, you find his manner and phrases irritating or deceptive. I find he’s pretty straight up, but I guess his way of talking isn’t for everyone.

The invitation was for a rant... I took up the invitation, passionately  ;) :)

Highs and lows are a realistic and authentic part of life, as are emotions. It was one of the factors singled out in the Tiggers success last year, 360 feedback/expression around bona fide emotions (hurts/heroes and I forget the 3rd H). We shouldn't consign emotions to being solely 'irrational', many aren't. To me it's not an either/or thing but rather 'both' scenario. If emotions frighten you (not you personally) and must be controlled/dominated by rational thought then leadership aint for you. Leadership understands how best passion and thought can work together to get the best out of each other.

For me, allowing, even encouraging people to feel deep hurt and deep exhilaration around failure and success is great for development... provided you can provide a safe environment for them to do so - never ignore or deny or invalidate or minimalise emotions - they're friends not foes. Suppressing emotion is a gateway to trouble, big trouble. And believe me, gen y and millennials will use 'not too low' to minimise losing; to not seeing it as too bad thing; to not allowing themselves to hurt.

Of course you don't want people jumping off bridges after a loss, but hurts/disappointments not expressed or validated will far more likely lead to trouble than expressed, authentically expressed, hurts in a safe and validating environment.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
For me, allowing, even encouraging people to feel deep hurt and deep exhilaration around failure and success is great for development... provided you can provide a safe environment for them to do so - never ignore or deny or invalidate or minimalise emotions - they're friends not foes. Suppressing emotion is a gateway to trouble, big trouble. And believe me, gen y and millennials will use 'not too low' to minimise losing; to not seeing it as too bad thing; to not allowing themselves to hurt.

Of course you don't want people jumping off bridges after a loss, but hurts/disappointments not expressed or validated will far more likely lead to trouble than expressed, authentically expressed, hurts in a safe and validating environment.

....so we created the Footy Forum ;D

Reply #26
The invitation was for a rant... I took up the invitation, passionately  ;) :)

Highs and lows are a realistic and authentic part of life, as are emotions. It was one of the factors singled out in the Tiggers success last year, 360 feedback/expression around bona fide emotions (hurts/heroes and I forget the 3rd H). We shouldn't consign emotions to being solely 'irrational', many aren't. To me it's not an either/or thing but rather 'both' scenario. If emotions frighten you (not you personally) and must be controlled/dominated by rational thought then leadership aint for you. Leadership understands how best passion and thought can work together to get the best out of each other.

In my view, that is exactly the sort of environment Bolton is trying to create. But don't assume what you see in pressers etc. is automatically what happens behind closed doors.

Reply #27
In my view, that is exactly the sort of environment Bolton is trying to create. But don't assume what you see in pressers etc. is automatically what happens behind closed doors.

I have 'high hopes'  ;) ;) that you're right. But, ultimately, the proof of the pudding is in the eating... And if words are the pudding, then our pudding is quite spectacular... but it tastes like cr@p  ;D ;) :)

My rant was just that, a rant. I believe what I wrote but it is just one perspective. Don't worry, there is a big part of me that remains deeply optimistic, especially, on a very realistic level, once we have a full list to pick from, we have more games into kids and we have our own stand alone VFL side -  8)

Reply #28
I'm concerned that there is a lot of faith expected and no guarantees in the rebuild process.   We can all handle a couple more years of shee-it if success will come,  but if we aren't off the bottom by end of 2019 the natives will get very restless.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29
I'm concerned that there is a lot of faith expected and no guarantees in the rebuild process.   We can all handle a couple more years of shee-it if success will come,  but if we aren't off the bottom by end of 2019 the natives will get very restless.

I suspect that if we're bottom 4 and looking as terrible as we currently do at year's end, then there'll be new faces in the coaching ranks in 2019.