Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 66961 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #45
ATM, our worst enemy is our skill - dropped marks, handballs at the feet, fumbling balls in packs etc. and injuries - not making excuses, but we don't have any depth - we need our best 22 out there.

Our worst enemy ATM is our under age list.
It's also our best asset.

On top of that we have a few injuries to some of our better players.

Add Kruezer, Docherty....... Murphy, Williamson and Pickett and we look a lot better.

We need to play Picket and Garlett in our forward 50.
Our forward line must be the slowest in the comp atm.

We cannot afford to have Silvagni, McKay, Casboult, Curnow, Wright all playing in the forward line.

Reply #46
Surely we'll be able to make a good case for a priority pick at the end of this season !

Which will no doubt be ignored by the AFL.....
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #47
A couple of points Paul, Lods has hit the money shot, all these players (not Gibbs,Buckley or Yarran) played games last year, most this year. But also most of them left in the Mick era, Bolton inherited a club who was bereft of mid age leadership. There was no choice but to start again it was inevitable. The ones that really irk me are that Rice didn't choose us, he may well turn out to be a bust but he picked the 'Aints, and we had Lambert under our nose, he has now played in a premiership (as has Grigg!!!). It's no good going down sorry street, because it is what it is, and it aint pretty. But for me it explains why we are here.
By the way Paul, Eddie is so much more than a "good" small forward.....we lost our soul when he left.
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #48
Betts was a f... up granted, the rest meh.

Kennedy went as part of the Judd deal. i don't think we can really regret that.

Sauce - hadn't really fired a shot when he left....who knew, he was third in line...! And Warnock was a bust.

Robbo, Garlett - it happens.

Hendo, 2E - would have liked Irish to stay, he took the money and tenure for family security - good on him. Hendo, good riddance.

Waitey - who knew, he was more often than not injured or suspended when in our colours.

Laidler - meh, didn't do much with Sydney either.

Rice or Lambert - the former - neither here nor there. The latter - a fairy tale story good on him but we weren't the only ones to pass....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
A couple of points Paul, Lods has hit the money shot, all these players (not Gibbs,Buckley or Yarran) played games last year, most this year. But also most of them left in the Mick era, Bolton inherited a club who was bereft of mid age leadership. There was no choice but to start again it was inevitable. The ones that really irk me are that Rice didn't choose us, he may well turn out to be a bust but he picked the 'Aints, and we had Lambert under our nose, he has now played in a premiership (as has Grigg!!!). It's no good going down sorry street, because it is what it is, and it aint pretty. But for me it explains why we are here.
By the way Paul, Eddie is so much more than a "good" small forward.....we lost our soul when he left.

Hanwell, thanks for the clarification. There is still some conjecture surrounding Betts' departure, and the way it unfolded.

I'll tell you one thing - if Grigg or Lambert were still on our list now, we would be complaining about them much the same as we do about our other players. Guaranteed. They have a premiership medal - good luck to them. Right place right time and all that. But they are ordinary foot soldiers IMO. Anyway, Grigg's contract ends at the end of this season, when I believe he becomes an UFA. Maybe we can lure him back.................not.

Reply #50
Maybe AFL headquarters can quietly intervene to assist us.  Priority picks, soft draw at helpful venues and times, suggestion that player X consider Carlton, just compensation for losing players.   Still beggars belief that Waite,  a central player at North,  resulted in zero compensation.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #51
Maybe AFL headquarters can quietly intervene to assist us.  Priority picks, soft draw at helpful venues and times, suggestion that player X consider Carlton, just compensation for losing players.   Still beggars belief that Waite,  a central player at North,  resulted in zero compensation.

We were well and truly shafted by the system/establishment over Waite. Mind you, God knows what we would have done with it had we gotten anything?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
We were well and truly shafted by the system/establishment over Waite. Mind you, God knows what we would have done with it had we gotten anything?

The establishment is the other clubs, they argue very hard not to have priority picks issued when it's not to their own club. If we are guilty of anything, it's probably naivety and weak lobbying.

What are the odds The Aints or Lions get a priority pick at the end of this season?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
The establishment is the other clubs, they argue very hard not to have priority picks issued when it's not to their own club. If we are guilty of anything, it's probably naivety and weak lobbying.

What are the odds The Aints or Lions get a priority pick at the end of this season?

Brisbane would be first cab off the rank IMO .....AFL will look after its QLD investment, think we would be next in line...

Reply #54
They can, and will refuse us a PP because we have publicly chosen the rebuild path.
We've deliberately cut our list back starting in 2015.
We played finals two years before that.

It's hard to argue that we're in the position we're in through anything other than our own deliberate decisions and actions.
We've gone backwards to go forward but....
They will say that had we followed a less radical approach we wouldn't have fallen so far.

You get assistance because you're hopeless...you won't get it because you're following a planned strategy to renew your list.

Reply #55

I don't understand why they can't/sholdn't revisit the Waite fiasco now - the AFL was clearly wrong in their determination of Waite's worth....surely they should make good?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
The only way we will get a priority pick is if one of our much vaunted youngsters wants out at the end of this season.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
They can, and will refuse us a PP because we have publicly chosen the rebuild path.
We've deliberately cut our list back starting in 2015.
We played finals two years before that.

It's hard to argue that we're in the position we're in through anything other than our own deliberate decisions and actions.
We've gone backwards to go forward but....
They will say that had we followed a less radical approach we wouldn't have fallen so far.

You get assistance because you're hopeless...you won't get it because you're following a planned strategy to renew your list.

You might get an argument about being hopeless if Essendon belt us......but I agree our rebuild status is of our own doing and I cant see the AFL giving us charity on that basis.
Also it kind of sells the idea the rebuild has failed if we are asking for charity.....

Reply #58
Bartel on Access All Areas saying that Bolton should not be under any pressure. Said that he hopes the Blues fans are patient and "get their heads around the fact that a rebuild doesn't take 3 years anymore - you pay for past mistakes................" - reckons it's 5-6 years and for players like Charlie to get to 100 games.

Reply #59
Bartel on Access All Areas saying that Bolton should not be under any pressure. Said that he hopes the Blues fans are patient and "get their heads around the fact that a rebuild doesn't take 3 years anymore - you pay for past mistakes................" - reckons it's 5-6 years and for players like Charlie to get to 100 games.

There are several pundits I've listened t saying the same thing. I think most of us would accept that a rebuild such as ours takes time but I would think that to see a few signs of progress along the way in terms of improved performance would not be too much to ask? Is progress happening if there are no visible signs of it?
Reality always wins in the end.