Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38553 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #90
Baggers, me and my missus call that the "usual bet", she never pays.......
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #91
You know you've had a bad day when a spud like Melsham kicks five.......

Nothing to say here, this is what a complete rebuild looks like at the beginning of the third year, farking ugly!!

Patience my brethren, watching the Bears make the Dawks look second rate for me confirms we are on the right track, confident to predict Brisbane V Blues finals in about three years. I am in no way delusional, this stripping back of the previous incarnation had to happen if we were to create something sustainable and not some fly by night band aid that we used to revel in to sell us a poxy vision that we were at least competitive. I like what I am seeing with the youth, blokes like Kerridge, O'Shae, and Graham are only out there to make up the numbers, they will be replaced by the likes of Dochety, Byrne, Curnow (C+E), Williamson, Cunningham etc.

In the words of Yazz (the singer not Yarran!) "The only way is up...."
Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought Yazz and The Plastic Population would be mentioned on this site. But there you go. ;D
Chin up kids, the sun will come up tomorrow, trust me. And Yazz is correct, "The only way is up".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
That's always been my concern.
Had we not cut so deep and done it gradually would we be better placed.
Time will tell.

And mine. Had we still had senior players such as Waite, Robinson, Betts etc., our kids could be coming through gradually, and in winning sides... but then we wouldn't have some of our kids as we would have had higher picks! Good old Catch 22.

There really needs to be an assault by the club at this year's draft for performers aged 23-26. We simply have too many blokes with too few games being expected to deliver way too much.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #93
Baggers, me and my missus call that the "usual bet", she never pays.......

:)) :)) :))
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #94
I was going to quote "The Clash: Train in Vain", great song but slightly negative perspective.....

Reply #95
I thought it was persecuting me!!!! I also can't quote or use the emoji's....

>:D :'( :'( :-\
Still feel like you're being persecuted  ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #96
I was going to quote "The Clash: Train in Vain", great song but slightly negative perspective.....

No justification required to quote anything from London Calling.

Reply #97
Only by Mrs Hanwell when she never pays her bets.......

Reply #98
Does this mean we are on Mission Impossible? I.e. you can't do a ground up rebuild in a live AFL environment?  ???

Ground up rebuild is harder....you need to be rebuilding, reinventing while you are still a good team and have good senior players to look after and help your newbies.

Stkilda did a ground up with Pelchen and its failed.....same problem as us, not enough mid range/ elite depth to support their newbies, they also went a lot of small bodies too and tried
to top up with fringe GWS players ie Bruce, Steele and other fringe types like Roberton, Weller, Savage, Kobie Stevens etc...hasnt worked..

Reply #99
Who do these words refer to I wonder?

"So all alone I keep the wolves at bay
and there is only one thing I can say,

Did you stand by me
No not at all
Did you stand by me
No way.."

Train in Vain, The Clash, London Calling 1978(?)

Reply #100
Ground up rebuild is harder....you need to be rebuilding, reinventing while you are still a good team and have good senior players to look after and help your newbies.

Stkilda did a ground up with Pelchen and its failed.....same problem as us, not enough mid range/ elite depth to support their newbies, they also went a lot of small bodies too and tried
to top up with fringe GWS players ie Bruce, Steele and other fringe types like Roberton, Weller, Savage, Kobie Stevens etc...hasnt worked..

EB, do you think the players or Richardson is the bigger problem ? He doesn't inspire much confidence in me tbh.

Reply #101
Actually Principal LODS, I think it is simply that last week we really didn't have an opponent and this week we did, and when the pressure came we folded badly, very badly. This is a theme with us, when genuine heat comes from an opponent, we fold.

I won a dubious bet with Mrs Baggers... she bet at loss by under 34 pts. I bet a loss by 10+ goals, just knew it in my bones that an in-form side would tear us up. Oh, what was the bet? Let's just say I don't feel as bad now... :D

I really believe that even with the Curnows we would have still suffered a heavy loss, not 100+ pts, but probably still around 10 gls.

Unfortunately I really don't think we know much about where we really are at present. I said a few weeks back that I suspect after the bye, when we have most players available, we should do better, and win a few games - if not, then I wouldn't want to be BB at year's end.

By the bye, or just after, we should have (by year's end, anyway), Williamson, Pickett, SOS - CUZ, Marchbank and Byrne. And we'll know more about the SOJ experiment as a mid/fwd, whether Weitering has regained consistent touch, Polson as a run-with, whether Cuningham can actually put more than 2 qtrs together, whether Kennedy is injured or another GWS dud.

Bottom line is that we need two gun, mature aged, BIG BODIED midfielders at this year's draft...no more little bodies FFS.  Murphy, ZF and SPS should be outside mids, not inside... just to fkn small.

If not for Cripps, god knows how many huge losses we would have had.

I think we need to buy in two readymade decent  BIG BODIED mids...we need them up and running now...Cripps needs the help now......Dow and OBrien need to be on wings not contesting with Bigger bodies at the coalface....

Reply #102
I’ve been one of the positive glass half full guys. Today however has made me seriously doubt things.

Been said on here a lot but wtf do we continue to top our list up with players of the calibre of O’Shea, mullet and will even add Garlett to this. Then on top of that we continue to back them in and play them week in week out when they are clearly not up to it.

The rebuild is into the 3rd year yet apart of charlie, fisher, and if I’m generous McKay, all the rest we selected are at best ‘jury still out’ prospects.

I know we need to stay the course and I know some of the guys we have got in are still very green but my point in we are 3 trade periods in and I would have liked to have at least 6-7 in the zac fisher level which we simply don’t have.

Far from ideal.

Reply #103
Murphy's ;)

Luke Livingston's...

It's a problem we'll hopefully be able to stop after this lot.

I watched Brisbane vs hawthorn and realised something.   Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson,  Dane zorko,  Dane beams, Alan Christensen,  Lewis Taylor, Luke hodge even Charlie Cameron is 23. 

They are playing kids with much more accomplished senior players who actually bring something to the team besides experience.

This is why we are struggling.   We hope our kids will be better off for it, but but we are running them around with Cameron o Shea,  Sam kerridge,  and whilst we have some handy types they aren't blisteringly fast or skilled enough or strong enough or classy enough to compete and carry the load for kids around them.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
EB, do you think the players or Richardson is the bigger problem ? He doesn't inspire much confidence in me tbh.

Richardson is a good assistant.........not inventive or hard enough IMO, see him at Bunnings a lot, bit of a DIYer like me, talks to the punters
and is a nice bloke. Clarkson would probably tell them to feck off and leave him alone.....
Saints need a new recruiter and a new coach...I think Richardson will be fired at seasons end..

Saints lack leadership...Geary and Jack Stevens doesnt cut it...they need a player like Hodge for a couple of season to direct traffic on the field.
If Josh Kennedy from the Swans retired he might be a good get for a year or two and then coach as an assistant......