Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38543 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #180
I thought Kerridge started off OK on Sunday but by early 2Q he was back to his old self. He's not really someone to be canvassed as a solution to any of out problems - in fact he is one of our problems.

Kerridge can win the football against any opponent, it's using it when he gets it that is his big problem. Give him a Ed Curnow inside mid role against the Cats and free up  Ed do some outside distribution.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
Kerridge is a fumbler.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #182
Kerridge is a bit part mid who kicked a couple of bags of five goals for a talented Crows team but thats about his only claim to fame...I'd be playing kids like Cuningham, Polson ahead of him and delisting him at years end.....

Reply #183
All those problems occur on the outside, put him in the guts in a negating role and tell him his career depends on matching Geelong physically. He's more than capable.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184
Hope he can bring those insights to us and is strong enough to make a positive difference in our environment then.

The coach too. He, if we forget, has been very successful and cone out of the best coaching school we have ever seen at league level.

The press conference was good from Bolton. There was none of the forget about it and move on stuff. He said the players must dwell on this loss and learn from it. Its the essence if team sport turn around. Stand fast board. Bolton is the coach we need and have.

Reply #185
When I see half a dozen players run out in long sleeves, presumably because it's cold, that tells me that they're probably not of a mindset to endure the pain that's necessary to win. Think about that.

Strange claim. Skinny Lappin, Kade Simpson, SOS as previously mentioned. This gets into the realm of players being girls because they have man buns and nice haircuts.

Reply #186
Kerridge is a bit part mid who kicked a couple of bags of five goals for a talented Crows team but thats about his only claim to fame...I'd be playing kids like Cuningham, Polson ahead of him and delisting him at years end.....

Well Cunningham would certainly be a good swap for Kerridge if he's available and fit this week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #187
The coach too. He, if we forget, has been very successful and cone out of the best coaching school we have ever seen at league level.

The press conference was good from Bolton. There was none of the forget about it and move on stuff. He said the players must dwell on this loss and learn from it. Its the essence if team sport turn around. Stand fast board. Bolton is the coach we need and have.

No doubt they have good resumes - it's making all that work at CFC where the big challenges lie for them. I'm praying they can, believe me! We've chewed up and spat out a lot of good people over the years.

Reply #188
All those problems occur on the outside, put him in the guts in a negating role and tell him his career depends on matching Geelong physically. He's more than capable.

Kerridge isnt as good as the Cats second stringers like Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola........
If you look at our onballers two things stand out.....very slow and poor kicking.......

We wont get anywhere negating either IMO....Ed is enough, we need more creative players who can help us score.....

Reply #189

I don't think that he is.
He fumbles under pressure and has a copybook kicking action but sprays the ball around, I don't think that he has the mental toughness to perform consistently at the top level.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #190
Yep it does.
We are weak as piss. Literally, and have been for years.
We papered over the cracks with Judd who was as tough as they come.
Now we are going to crucify Cripps in the same way we did Judd.

You are almost correct, the game is WON by big strong fit men.
We have thrown too many kids in at once. They need strong leaders to look after them and show them the way.

Jones is a small part of this. He is 6'5" or bigger, athletically as capable as anyone playing but just doesn't impact the contest enough.
When he does he looks great but if he gets a bag kicked on him every 2-3 weeks its pointless.

They will improve drastically with E Curnow back because he adds toughness, but why not put Kerridge in there to bash and crash. It's not like he has silky skills we need to protect.

I'm not sure that Judd was as tough as they come, but that's a discussion for another time.

I think Jones has no brains and really has to be told where to run, where to stand etc. Without Docherty he makes too many bad decisions.

We need 100 pieces to complete the CFC jigsaw puzzle. The points you make are valid, but they are only 3 or 4 of those pieces.

In round 4 we had both Curnows, Kennedy, Casboult, Cripps was captain.... and you know what happened in that game. I'm not in any way blaming those named individuals, merely pointing out that either our problems are extremely deep, or that we are much earlier into the rebuild than anyone imagined.

Reply #191
Kerridge isnt as good as the Cats second stringers like Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola........
If you look at our onballers two things stand out.....very slow and poor kicking.......

We wont get anywhere negating either IMO....Ed is enough, we need more creative players who can help us score.....

Fresh out of those though EB. So what do we do? Persist with those who have failed already or try other options?

Reply #192

Don't forget Horlin-Smith! ;)

Doesn't the old saying apply, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

I recall a couple of years ago Ed being freed up against GC and doing OK, he's in a rich vein of form at the moment and now is as good a chance as he'll ever get!

I don't think that he is.
He fumbles under pressure and has a copybook kicking action but sprays the ball around, I don't think that he has the mental toughness to perform consistently at the top level.

Kerridge's persistence seems to fly in the face of any suggestion than he lacks mental toughness, maybe he lacks agility. But it's clear to me that more than anything else it's polish that he lacks, not desire, drive or persistence. Give him a role, make sure he accepts it as his fate and his future, that removes the need for polish.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193

Agree but or these kids will get smashed off the park.
We need mature bodies around the contest.
Makes no sense playing him on a wing or flank.

Reply #194
Agree but or these kids will get smashed off the park.
We need mature bodies around the contest.
Makes no sense playing him on a wing or flank.

Agreed, if Kerridge is in, he needs to be in the heat!
The Force Awakens!