Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra? (Read 44083 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

With Gold Coast smashing Collingwood last night, next week's game ay Metricon Stadium is looking ... interesting. Last year we experienced a disaster at Carrarra. What is going to happen this time?
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #1
To get some sort of idea of how we've gone this year, Brisbane are one game off us and actually managed wins against Geelong and Essendon. They play Port next week so regardless of who wins, if we lose to GC we are in deep poo poo. Brisbane would go even on games with an easier run or Port would go two games clear. This is an 8 point game for us in every sense (other than the opposition not playing for 8 points).
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #2
Hey guys,

seriously thinking of taking my son up to GC for the game this Saturday.
Does the club offer any services for this?
Any suggestions for the best way to organise?

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Reply #3
To get some sort of idea of how we've gone this year, Brisbane are one game off us and actually managed wins against Geelong and Essendon. They play Port next week so regardless of who wins, if we lose to GC we are in deep poo poo. Brisbane would go even on games with an easier run or Port would go two games clear. This is an 8 point game for us in every sense (other than the opposition not playing for 8 points).

I don't believe that the suns can back their win up.

There is a chance they will be down R Thompson and Campbell Brown aswell.

(And us Carrazzo)

Reply #4
I have it coming down to the final game, vs PA for 8th and 9th.

Reply #5
There will be a few boys from the NBs who'd be presenting a good case to be included. Few blokes in the midfield should be nervous. Murph must rest... he's obviously carrying an injury. Juddy will make up for his soft game against the Kangabies. Blokes in consideration would have to be Robbo, Levi, Graham and White.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
There will be a few boys from the NBs who'd be presenting a good case to be included. Few blokes in the midfield should be nervous. Murph must rest... he's obviously carrying an injury. Juddy will make up for his soft game against the Kangabies. Blokes in consideration would have to be Robbo, Levi, Graham and White.
Fair enough. Looking at the team on Friday night and we have a few guys who are struggling physically at the moment: Murphy and Yarran to name but 2.
Murphy is definitely struggling with this butt injury of his. He played, and did OK, but he wasn't 100%. I guess it will depend on how he pulls up this week. I didn't expect him to play against the 'Roos.
Yarran also looked quite restricted and didn't have the burning pace that is one of his hallmarks. I remember 2 moments when he needed his pace to break contact and it just wasn't there. Also he limped quite clearly when approaching the bench. Mind you, I was impressed by the way he put his body on the line for 2 very nice marks, and his 8 tackles was a significant improvement over what he can be like.
Carrots looked a bit better on Friday: he must be getting some of his match fitness back. Eddie Betts was also one who looked less than 100%, but an improvement on what he has been recently.

Graham did his chances of getting a game no harm at all. He plonked himself at the front of the pack and managed a significant portion of our clearances on Saturday. Unfortunately he wasn't as successful at the centre bounce. But his 4 games at VFL level have been very promising.
Robbo showed some real G & D and was excellent for the Baby Blues: very effective in the conditions.
Buckley also showed a bit, but he went off with a shoulder injury that suggested to me that he probably won't be fit enough for next week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Even though we have won the past two weeks, we have hardly played what you would call good football. Try that on against these young guys and we may well be boarding the plane home carrying our butts as hand luggage.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #8
For me Robbo was the stand out - he will come back in for sure. I would also give Graham a run too. Must not go up there with one iota of complacency, this is definitely "a danger game".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
For me Robbo was the stand out - he will come back in for sure. I would also give Graham a run too. Must not go up there with one iota of complacency, this is definitely "a danger game".
The day was one that fit Robbo, and he delivered. Good chance of a call up.
Interesting to see if Waite is available this week....
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
For me, Port winning last night effectively ended our chances of making the 8 when you look at our run home versus theirs (see my post in AFL 2013 Season thread). I say leave Watson there to see what he has, then make a decision on him at the end of the year. Waite to sit out the rest of the year then retire gracefully. Menzel and Graham need to play ones. Carrots will miss this week so that one in. Scotland to the NBs for the rest of the year frees up the other spot, retire gracefully also. Whilst Robbo was good yesterday, he is still a butcher and I would prefer to see what the aforementioned two bring to the table for the rest of the year.  My thoughts only, probably FOS but I cant think of anything better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
Everyone is focussed on port.  I reckon if we get in we will get in at Collingwood or richmonds expense instead.  Port are not that good and could lose to a few sides that we think they should beat but Richmond and Collingwood have tough runs hime and I can see them both dropping more than they win.

We need to keep winning though.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Thry, you are forgetting, we may get in at Essendon's expense.   :P
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #13
Some one must tag Ablett, even 30 disposals with some under presssure is better than 49 touches, all quality.

I'd get Carrazzo to run with Ablett, Cachia to run with O'Meara and Curnow to run with Bennell. Limit those 3 influence and we'll be a chance. 
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #14
Some one must tag Ablett, even 30 disposals with some under presssure is better than 49 touches, all quality.

I'd get Carrazzo to run with Ablett, Cachia to run with O'Meara and Curnow to run with Bennell. Limit those 3 influence and we'll be a chance.

I would like to agree with you here because their mids cause more damage than they have in the past. Their confidence is up. Playing over there will help them in terms of crowd support. We just can't under-estimate their motivations to win against us. Must get on top early and grind them out of the game. Kill the run in the middle of the ground to start with. Kill their supply. Kill, kill, kill.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.