Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra? (Read 44099 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #45
I wonder if AJ has put forward his case to MM re tagging G Ablett. :))

Thought the same thing  :-[ ...but we've moved on and there will be another (Cachia/Carrazzo/Curnow?)!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #46
Like to Cachia given an opportunity on Ablett...

Reply #47
Some one must tag Ablett, even 30 disposals with some under presssure is better than 49 touches, all quality.

I'd get Carrazzo to run with Ablett, Cachia to run with O'Meara and Curnow to run with Bennell. Limit those 3 influence and we'll be a chance.

I would like to agree with you here because their mids cause more damage than they have in the past. Their confidence is up. Playing over there will help them in terms of crowd support. We just can't under-estimate their motivations to win against us. Must get on top early and grind them out of the game. Kill the run in the middle of the ground to start with. Kill their supply. Kill, kill, kill.

Only issue I see with that though is Carazzo's poor current form.
I wonder if Curnow would be a better option? Or Joseph to come in to his speciality role of "Abblett tagger". I fondly remember a couple of occasions Joseph has stictched him up.

Reply #48
Out of the six or seven times joseph has run with ablett its worked twice. IMHO its 5-2 abletts favour.   After the second scalping they started belting him (which wont be a problem against GC), and later they figured out a better plan which was run him into the back line and kick it to joseph.  He is no good in marking contests and this has been the way to beat joseph ever since.  You know you have been found out when richmond start taking advantage of this fact.

Its almost a myth that joseph has abletts number.  Bit like Gibbs on Goodes.  Got him once and Goodes has pulled his pants down six times since.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
@Thry, I remember one and it was a preseason game.

Reply #50
For joseph or gibbs?  I rember early 2010 or 2011 maybe? we beat the cats by 6 goals at the g with setanta kicking a bag, joseph got ablett that day and kept him to a modest number.  Mclean was good that day also.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
Hawthorn would rotate 2 or 3 different players on Judd to keep the pressure on him and to keep them mentally and physically fresh.

Why not rotate our 3 key  taggers on Ablett?

Reply #52
Wouldn't MM love to win this game on the back of keeping Gary Ablett quiet with some taggers.  He could then say at the media conference that it was a bit of a no brainer - any competent coach would recognise that the key to beating Gold Coast was keeping Ablett on a leash. 

Reply #53
You reckon Duigs and Laidler come in as two of those 5 or 6?

Or are Collins and ROK more likely?  :))
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #54
Danger game,
not a time for playing around!
As for Duigan, no not to be promoted.
His next move will be on to the Coaching Staff.
Quality guy, smart, the Northern Blues have been a rubble. We need a guy with a following and a plan!

Reply #55
You reckon Duigs and Laidler come in as two of those 5 or 6?

Or are Collins and ROK more likely?  :))

I thought both Duigan and Laidler did well on Saturday but I will be surprised if either is recalled for this game.  It would be a different matter if we were playing a more seasoned team, particularly in wet conditions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
Wouldn't MM love to win this game on the back of keeping Gary Ablett quiet with some taggers.  He could then say at the media conference that it was a bit of a no brainer - any competent coach would recognise that the key to beating Gold Coast was keeping Ablett on a leash.

That would only work if he adds the fact that he told our tagger, 2 weeks in advance that he would be on Ablett. ;-)

Reply #57
Can't see any mids being dropped really, so where does that leave Robbo and/or Graham?

I'd swap graham for cachia this week.

Cachia probably needs a rest

Perhaps they were giving Cachia a break by being the sub against the Roos?  We might need Cachia to close down Ablett or are you thinking of Curnow or Carrots for that job.

I like Cachia on Ablett for sure. Better Ablett get 33 hard fought possies than 49 damaging ones.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #58
Can't see any mids being dropped really, so where does that leave Robbo and/or Graham?

I'd swap graham for cachia this week.

Cachia probably needs a rest

Perhaps they were giving Cachia a break by being the sub against the Roos?  We might need Cachia to close down Ablett or are you thinking of Curnow or Carrots for that job.

I like Cachia on Ablett for sure. Better Ablett get 33 hard fought possies than 49 damaging ones.

Not too sure how good cachias tank is, but we all know how good curnows is. He'd be my first priority to take on Ablett.
Put cachia on omeara.

Reply #59
Curnow on Ablett might make sense as Curnow has some pace and probably the endurance capacity to run a game out with Ablett.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.