Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra? (Read 44095 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #60
Curnow on Ablett might make sense as Curnow has some pace and probably the endurance capacity to run a game out with Ablett.

Interesting listening to Thompson on AFL 360 last night re Ablett. He said Ablett wasn't a player who ran from half back to half forward all game. Rather his running is more constrained within the 50m arcs at either end. So his endurance is in spurts.

Maybe Cachia picks up Ablett within 50m but if he takes a dash down the middle or flank, then Curnow goes with him or someone like Army intercepts?

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #61
So, is the game still on this week or are we all waiting until the team is announced?  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
So, is the game still on this week or are we all waiting until the team is announced?  ;)

I think we're all scared, after a couple of good wins this is typically the type of game we lose.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63

I think we're all scared, after a couple of good wins this is typically the type of game we lose.
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
Nothing surer than a win this week.

As per usual, its got nothing to do with us, but the shoe is on the other foot.  A young talented side, has just picked a big scalp, and has the opportunity to go back to back, and is about to run into a side that has been quietly going about its business, building some momentum.  Quite a few of our players have had a point to prove, and after getting over a narrow one last week, i think we may turn the corner.  I remember a couple of years back, the Hawks had an ordinary start to the season, and were looking like they were going to struggle till they faced us.  They were being smashed every week till they played Richmond and limped over the line, and then they belted the living bejeesus out of us a week later.

This time its our turn.  GC wont know what hit them, Im predicting a ten goal win as a minimum and I see percentage booster on the table.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
I believe you're right Thry, but perhaps not by such a margin.

I'm expecting an extremely focused, even and determined effort that will produce a win by around 5 goals.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Yes I think MM will have the boys very focussed on just getting a win, even if it's only by a couple of goals. I'm expecting us to be very tight and measured and hopefully maintaining this for 4Qs.

Blues by 15.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
I'll just take a win with 3 in a row and a severely weakened Freo side ripe for the picking next week! From there who knows?

A loss would almost certainly derail our season with the demise of the Bummers our only real chance to get into the 8.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #68
Curnow is an elite runner and gets first crack to add Ablett as another notch in his belt.

Recently.

Leigh Montagna - 22
Steele Sidebottom - 23
Daniel Hannebery - 20
Isaac Smith - 11
Brent Stanton - 13
Travis Boak - 18

Bloke deserve a bit more credit for what he has done.

Reply #69
CARLTON
In: M.Robinson, J.Bootsma
Out: J.Cachia, A.McInnes (groin)

GOLD COAST
In: C.Dixon
Out: J.Hall
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
CARLTON
In: M.Robinson, J.Bootsma
Out: J.Cachia, A.McInnes (groin)

GOLD COAST
In: C.Dixon
Out: J.Hall

Understand Robbo in and Cachia probably being rested.  With McInnes out and White injured would have thought Laidler or Duigan might get a go given they played well in the last Ants game by all accounts.

But obviously the MC are putting their faith in Bootsma.

Reply #71
No Graham? Disappointed

Does Cachia have an injury niggle? He wouldn't be dropped on form would he?

If we're never going to play Laidler again (Bootsma in instead) then I hope we have a good trade lined up for him.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #72
Understand Robbo in and Cachia probably being rested.  With McInnes out and White injured would have thought Laidler or Duigan might get a go given they played well in the last Ants game by all accounts.

But obviously the MC are putting their faith in Bootsma.

Bootsma was pretty good against the Hawks (as were Laidler and Duigan).  I think Bootsma will provide more run and he is better in the air than Laidler and Duigan. 

Laidler or Duigan may be a better option if we were playing a team with more mature bodies. 

Reply #73
I'm just hoping that Laidler is being kept in reserve for later this year or maybe on the back burner for next year. I'd be amazed if MM has passed judgement and stamped his papers already.  :-\
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74

Does Cachia have an injury niggle? He wouldn't be dropped on form would he?

Haven't heard of any injury to Cachia but who knows?

Doubt it's form related but he has looked a bit tired of late so due for a rest.