Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra? (Read 44227 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #90

Laidler or Duigan may be a better option if we were playing a team with more mature bodies.

No problems putting faith in Bootsma as we need to put game time in to the kids but it makes you wonder what Laidler or Duigs need to do to get a game in the seniors again.

We'll certainly need to be on our toes this week, young bodies or not!

Laidler and Duigan lack pace and I thinks thats the issue and you dont get quicker as you get older...reckon they are both in the out tray....

Re: Rd 18 Pre game ponderings: Holiday on the Gold Coast or Disaster at Carrarra?

Reply #91
Cachia has done nothing wrong.
27 dream team points in one quarter last week
One of he best the week before

Rotation?

I don't think MM will want to play Cachia, Curnow and Carrazzo in the same team very often tbh - all essentially shut-down players.

Not really, Carrazzo had a free reign last week, played as a normal midfielder. Things may be different this week though.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #92
So Carrots and Curnow for O'Meara and Gaz... expecting one to run with Gaz all night is expecting a lot.

Curnow gets Gaz first up.  He is fit and has a huge tank.   

Reply #93
Bootsma in again . It's obvious now that Laidler is finished .

Probably should call Boots Stiffy . He's in , out , in , out , in , out all the time .  8)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #94

Probably should call Boots Stiffy . He's in , out , in , out , in , out all the time .  8)
Can I ask who do you think played better last week for the NB's, Laidler or Bootsma?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
Why can't I tip my team with any confidence (to win)  :(

Blues by *gulp* 6 pts.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #96
I know how you feel Goat.

It feels like forever since I could look at a game and chalk up a win, rather than feel like we have to sit on the edge of our seats week to week.

Every game, bar GWS (and who knows how long before that changes) feels like a danger game with this team.

I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #97
I watched the Blue Print with Andrew McKay the other day [Ep 8 on Youtube].

He talked specifically about Laidler - said that his knee tendon injury last year was very serious and has struggled with his recovery from his op for most of this year. He has only recently been back in to have the screw removed from his knee as it was still giving him trouble. He also said that he has previously played as a 'zone off' defender and he needs to work on his 1 on 1 game and his speed to fit the MM game plan.

It probably goes some way to explaining why he's not getting a game at the moment - fitness, form and his role in the strucutre all appear to be working against him at the moment.

Reply #98

Can I ask who do you think played better last week for the NB's, Laidler or Bootsma?

They both played well but very differently.  Bootsma was often third man up to spoil, he provided run out of the back line and his kicking was very good.

Laidler played a much closer checking role and belted his opponents at every opportunity.  He read the play well, helped out team mates and created opportunities, as a player of his experience should.

In short, they are very different players both of whom probably deserve a run in the 22, but Bootsma is better suited to likely GWS opponents.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #99
Why can't I tip my team with any confidence (to win)  :(

Blues by *gulp* 6 pts.
Coz we aint good enough yet. We we can tip them confidently every week, then we will be challenging for top 4 and a flag. Didnt mean to sound like Captain Obvious but its a fact.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #100
I watched the Blue Print with Andrew McKay the other day [Ep 8 on Youtube].

He talked specifically about Laidler - said that his knee tendon injury last year was very serious and has struggled with his recovery from his op for most of this year. He has only recently been back in to have the screw removed from his knee as it was still giving him trouble. He also said that he has previously played as a 'zone off' defender and he needs to work on his 1 on 1 game and his speed to fit the MM game plan.

It probably goes some way to explaining why he's not getting a game at the moment - fitness, form and his role in the strucutre all appear to be working against him at the moment.
\
Makes Sense.

It took me while to warm to Laidler when others jumped on him early as he is Very poor one on one. Rarely gets a fist to the ball and gets out positioned far too easily.

It is strange though as Mick has made Nick Mawell's Career as a zone off defender and Laidler is a better ball user by foot than Maxwell.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #101
It took me while to warm to Laidler when others jumped on him early as he is Very poor one on one. Rarely gets a fist to the ball and gets out positioned far too easily.

Well Shadesy, his one on one work, spoiling and positioning were what impressed me while I was standing in the rain at Box Hill.  Perhaps he's been told to work on those aspects of his game.

He looks bigger in the upper body but seemed to still favour his knee at times.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
I remember Laids playing on the resting ruck and outpositioning said ruckman to mark the ball. Not all the time, but I do remember it happening.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #103

Well Shadesy, his one on one work, spoiling and positioning were what impressed me while I was standing in the rain at Box Hill.  Perhaps he's been told to work on those aspects of his game.

McKay explictly said in the interview that working on his 1:1 game is what he has been told to do by the Footy Dept.  From what you're saying [and what McKay also mentioned] there are still concerns about how his knee is going to hold up, and they are probably loathe to risk him at the top level until they have 100% confidence that it is right. It makes sense that he's not being picked on this basis.

I just hope that he can make it through the rest of the year and then get the knee and his fitness right over the preseason for a big 2014, as I was a big fan. He is a very smart footballer and we could do with his poise and reading of the game and organsiational skills in the back half.

Reply #104

I guess in his first couple of Games (6-8) I was very critical of him and Tribey and I had were opposed to his value. By the end of last year, I was a big fan of him, his ability to read the play and use the ball.

I still think its a weak part of his game, but I still can't see why Boots is preferred ahead of him.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset