Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 26411 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Yet another game I won't be seeing live. Hopefully the game is on TV.
Even though Kreuzer will be better for the run, I hope we play a 2nd ruckman. Hawthorn probably will, in an effort to run our ruck into the ground. Hawthorn won the practice match because they played all 3 of their ruck options against Casboult and de Koning. It gave them a huge edge in the middle of the ground. We cannot let them do that again.
The other thing they did in the Practice Match was to get the ball over the back and run the ball into goal with a loose man. It was one of only two ways they scored (the other coming from our turnovers). They didn't win a contest all night. But they didn't need to. We need to stop the turnovers and keep the ball from getting over the back.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #1
Keep between goal and young opponent. Force them to lead forward to free space. Hawks are a well drilled side, but not the fastest by foot. I assume if we carry the ball and run in numbers, it will become a nightmare for them. Turn overs will be our main worry. It is way to easy to fall into bad habits when the bring the pressure on. Let’s pray for a decent contest.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
Hawks have a few players out, lets hope the Cats work them over and we can take advantage..

Reply #3
This is winnable.

We'll find out at the selection table what's likely to occur.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Hawks have a few players out, lets hope the Cats work them over and we can take advantage..

We get an extra day to recover, which will help nicely given we both have to fly as well. Not much recovery time for the sore hawks

Reply #5
Will be interesting to see if we:
a. Replicate yesterdays performance which should become the blueprint.
b. Rest on our laurels given a Win has been chalked up.
I hope yesterday was the circuit breaker which instills the belief that they can compete and win. The last time we won 2 in a row was rnd 12/13 2017, another win will work wonders especially against Hawthorn.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
I'll raise the awkward question, does Charlie come back in and if so, who makes way?

Reply #7
I'll raise the awkward question, does Charlie come back in and if so, who makes way?

Polson was an absolute passenger again yesterday, even his teachers pet status surely can't save him.  O'Brien's stats read better but some of his efforts are comical and I think he needs to go back to VFL level once someone is ready to step up - but at the moment the VFL reports suggest no-one is pressing hard enough atm assuming Williamson needs at least one more run in the 2s.

Paddy Dow was better yesterday but still his kicking can be a worry.  He seems to me a better kick at goal that in field kicking - his depth rather than accuracy seems the issue - so maybe keep him close to goal as a pressure forward?  ATM he would be the next most at risk I would think, with Williamson and Cuningham (and maybe Lang if he can pull up his socks) in the wings to come back over the next few weeks.

Reply #8
For me, Charlie needs to play in the twos and get some touch back. Have a look at the comparison of stats with Polson side by side on Footy Wire and you'll see there is not alot of difference between them in many areas. If the 2's are good enough for Polson, they're good enough for Charlie. First and foremost though, they need to get him right injury wise, if he needs an extended time off, so be it,

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=4&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=T&pid1=4163&pid2=6382&fid1=S&fid2=S
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
If the club considers Charlie ready to face the Dawks then he could easily be fitted in - Poulson and O'Brien for starters! Anyway, he should be tried in a different role other than a marking forward - maybe a wing? Let him get his touch back in the 1s when he is not doing the heavy lifting in the forward line. Levi and Harry were fine there yesterday, and then add in McGovern.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
The big question is can we play all of Kreuzer, Casboult, McKay, McGovern and C Curnow in the same side? Casboult was very good yesterday, and he competes better than anybody else as second ruck. McKay was obviously great yesterday, and has to play. McGovern is just going I reckon, his work rate off the ball is poor, and he has had very little impact on games. Having said that he is a classy player, and our best set shot at goal - I just wish he'd get his hands on it more. Not suggesting McGovern could get dropped, but with the way our forward line worked yesterday bringing C Curnow back in there could be disruptive. I don't think he should play NB's, he's a potential Rolls Royce, but as others have said I'd like to see him played on the wing in a Matthew Richardson type role

Reply #11
HAWTHORN
Player
Injury
Estimated Return
 Grant Birchall     Calf/knee    Indefinite
 Shaun Burgoyne    Hamstring    2 weeks
 James Cousins    Ankle    Test
 James Frawley    Hamstring    3 weeks
 Darren Minchington    Hamstring    1 weeks
 Tom Mitchell    Broken leg    Indefinite
 Tim Mohr    Dislocated knee/ACL    Season
 Jaeger O'Meara    Hip    Test
 Ryan Schoenmakers    Achilles    TBC
 Liam Shiels    Hamstring    1 weeks
 Ben Stratton    Concussion    Test
 Mathew Walker    Knee    1 week

Updated: Tuesday, April 16

Early prognosis

The carnage continues at Waverley Park. There have been consistent injury setbacks since Mitchell broke his left leg in mid-January. Frawley and Stratton suffered injuries that prematurely ended their game on Sunday, while Cousins, Conor Nash and Isaac Smith were among those to push through duress. O'Meara was a late withdrawal after barely training last week and he will aim to return against Geelong on Easter Monday. Schoenmakers continues to struggle with Achilles issues, as he has for years. Birchall stepped up his running intensity and involvement last week, and fellow rehab group members Minchington and Walker are also progressing. – Marc McGowan
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Let’s hope Geelong annoy the crap out of Sicily and he throws one!!

Reply #13
The big question is can we play all of Kreuzer, Casboult, McKay, McGovern and C Curnow in the same side? Casboult was very good yesterday, and he competes better than anybody else as second ruck. McKay was obviously great yesterday, and has to play. McGovern is just going I reckon, his work rate off the ball is poor, and he has had very little impact on games. Having said that he is a classy player, and our best set shot at goal - I just wish he'd get his hands on it more. Not suggesting McGovern could get dropped, but with the way our forward line worked yesterday bringing C Curnow back in there could be disruptive. I don't think he should play NB's, he's a potential Rolls Royce, but as others have said I'd like to see him played on the wing in a Matthew Richardson type role
Gov played large chunks as the spare man in defence, swapped with SOS IIRC. H relished not having to ruck much and simply focused on doing his thing in the fwd line. Tractor and Cas are a solid ruck/fwd duo.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #14
Can't see why Levi cannot be second ruck, and position himself on the 50m arc. I think that is where he kicks well from, the accuracy problems seem to be highlighted when he is within 35m of goal. The closer he is the more he seems to overthink. This might work well with allowing more space for McKay or McGovern.