Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11895 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #75
I'd beg to differ on the filth's defence.

Last week against North:

[25] Jack Crisp, 147 games, ok. 190cm, 90kg
[23] Jordan Roughead, 200cm, doesn't do much. last legs?
[44] Jack Madgen 27yo, 15 games, ex basketballer. 192cm, 98kg.
FB
[37] Brayden Maynard, solid player, 110 games. 189cm, 90kg.
[30] Darcy Moore, 203cm, will take Harry?
[9] John Noble 16 games. 180cm, 72kg,

Noble on Betts presumably? Who gets Martin?

No one is slippery enough, not even close, to go with Martin from that group. I'll guess they'll try Maynard.

Or Gibbo?

If we use H, Levi and TDK up forward - all three are very good marks. Who takes our 3rd tall? Madgen?

Good luck with that.

We had them last year at the G before a bit of composure and the rotten umpires intervened....they were flying then too.

This year, we've a better team on the park (inclusions like Jones, Martin, Doc, Pitto, TDK, Newnes, Betts and likely, Kennedy)

From their line up in 2019, they'll be missing Howe, JdeG, Treloar, Stephenson and Sidebottom but gain Adams.

So they're down two critical mids, their main driver off HB (and intercept marker) in Howe and de Goey.
Maynard is a good footballer and be happy to have him our list, played on Greene from GWS in last years finals and toweled him up...he is a genuine tough player and any of our blokes playing on him are in for a hard game.
I think they might play Varcoe on Martin...they have used the latter down back a few times this season and he teams well with Crisp who is his best mate.
Greenwood is a thug so I'd expect him to tag someone and try on the rough stuff, one of the mistakes we have made with Collingwood before is to let Pendlebury run loose playing off Cripps, thats a real dangerous practice IMO and I would have Curnow on him the whole game. Pies will probably bring Wills into the team to replicate the Jack Steele type game on Cripps.
I'm expecting Eddie to have a big game along with Martin who needs to kick a bit straighter, reckon Levi can kick a few this week too with Moore occupied with Harry.

Reply #76
Maynard is a good footballer and be happy to have him our list, played on Greene from GWS in last years finals and toweled him up...he is a genuine tough player and any of our blokes playing on him are in for a hard game.
I think they might play Varcoe on Martin...they have used the latter down back a few times this season and he teams well with Crisp who is his best mate.
Greenwood is a thug so I'd expect him to tag someone and try on the rough stuff, one of the mistakes we have made with Collingwood before is to let Pendlebury run loose playing off Cripps, thats a real dangerous practice IMO and I would have Curnow on him the whole game. Pies will probably bring Wills into the team to replicate the Jack Steele type game on Cripps.
I'm expecting Eddie to have a big game along with Martin who needs to kick a bit straighter, reckon Levi can kick a few this week too with Moore occupied with Harry.

The 22 that run out ALL need a big game, this is huge for this group.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
If we win this game and don't make finals, people will lose their $hit.

If we win this game and miss out on finals, people can at least say we beat the pies.

Regardless of how our season goes from here, we need to beat the pies. Simples.

Of course this year it has the added benefit of setting us up for finals.

As i mentioned earlier, if we lose this we have a tied record against the pies for the first time since the 1981 grand final

Reply #78
If we win this game and don't make finals, people will lose their $hit.

If we win this game and miss out on finals, people can at least say we beat the pies.

Regardless of how our season goes from here, we need to beat the pies. Simples.

Of course this year it has the added benefit of setting us up for finals.

As i mentioned earlier, if we lose this we have a tied record against the pies for the first time since the 1981 grand final
Its all about how we lose for me. If we lose by:
- Falling asleep in the 1st qtr (or entire other qtrs)
- Giving away 5 goal leads
- Scoring 18 behinds (ie having more scoring shots but losing)
Ill be filthy (especially with if its one of the first two). If however we are ruthless, physical, don't take backward steps, are in games up to our ears but fall short, that's a different story AFAIC.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #79
Its all about how we lose for me. If we lose by:
- Falling asleep in the 1st qtr (or entire other qtrs)
- Giving away 5 goal leads
- Scoring 18 behinds (ie having more scoring shots but losing)
Ill be filthy (especially with if its one of the first two). If however we are ruthless, physical, don't take backward steps, are in games up to our ears but fall short, that's a different story AFAIC.

If we do those things, ZERO chance we lose.

Pies simply aren't very good at present. Sidebottom's a huge loss.

Bombers 63, Pies 48

Eagles 111, Pies 45

Dockers 61, Pies 49,

Dees 100, Pies 44.

We bring it, we'll win by a fair margin.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #80
If we do those things, ZERO chance we lose.

Pies simply aren't very good at present. Sidebottom's a huge loss.

Bombers 63, Pies 48

Eagles 111, Pies 45

Dockers 61, Pies 49,

Dees 100, Pies 44.

We bring it, we'll win by a fair margin.
Is that a typo or are you saying we could do all those things wrong and still win?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #81
No, I was referencing your:

If however we are ruthless, physical, don't take backward steps.....

If we bring that effort, no chance we'll lose.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82
No, I was referencing your:

If we bring that effort, no chance we'll lose.
Roger that
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #83
With Sidebottom out they are hugely reliant on 4 players for run and carry - Pendles & Adams in the midfield, and Maynard and Crisp off half back. Outside of that they don't have much. Grundy has been up and down, and Moore is impressive but we just need to play smart bringing the ball forward and stretch their defence.

Ed to Pendles for mine. Newnes playing a defensive role on Maynard.

I reckon they have more headaches matching us up, especially Cripps, Martin, Betts and McKay - than we have worrying about them. They are not a high scoring side and have limited threats inside 50. We should get enough ball and shots to win - we just need to convert our opportunities and we should win comfortably.

Reply #84
This could go anyway Really.

Main thing is if we have turned the corner, that big huge corner we haven’t been able to turn convincingly for some time, Sunday is the day to show it.

Reply #85
I hope, being by far our biggest game since 2013, we don't $hit the bed.

nailed it Laj.

easily the most important game for a number of years.  nothing is more important than beating collingwood to setup a run at the finals.  but we have a horrible recent history of showing some promise, getting some respect and a shot at finals, and then crapping our pants on the big stage.  especially when the media blows smoke up our butts and the boys get a bit ahead of themselves.

if we've turned the corner for real this time, we'll beat them (only just if they come to play for real), or we'll pants them.  Either way, we'll win this one.  And I don't care if it's by a point.

I'd like to see one or both of Kennedy and Dow in.  Not sure who goes out.  Dow was my pick for surprise packet this year, which wasn't looking good early, and then he got injured and missed a heap, so looked even worse.  Even so, I think he'll play 2 or 3 of the last games, and hope he'll show what I hoped he'd show.  Ya know.

Reply #86
I too had big Hope's for Dow, still do. And I see Dow's brother is in line to get his first game this week. May spur him on...

Reply #87
nailed it Laj.

easily the most important game for a number of years.  nothing is more important than beating collingwood to setup a run at the finals.  but we have a horrible recent history of showing some promise, getting some respect and a shot at finals, and then crapping our pants on the big stage.  especially when the media blows smoke up our butts and the boys get a bit ahead of themselves.

if we've turned the corner for real this time, we'll beat them (only just if they come to play for real), or we'll pants them.  Either way, we'll win this one.  And I don't care if it's by a point.

I'd like to see one or both of Kennedy and Dow in.  Not sure who goes out.  Dow was my pick for surprise packet this year, which wasn't looking good early, and then he got injured and missed a heap, so looked even worse.  Even so, I think he'll play 2 or 3 of the last games, and hope he'll show what I hoped he'd show.  Ya know.
Prefer Dow to come back in a less important game, the Pies midfield is reduced in quality but its still their major weapon and
his errors by foot could derail the game for us in important moments.
Dont think its a game where we can get too cute or experimental.....

Reply #88
I hope, being by far our biggest game since 2013, we don't $hit the bed.

I think the current team has a lot more resolve than previous years. Docherty’s presence on the ground means a lot, Weitering is not intimidated these days, Martin adds X factor and toughness, Setterfield has turned into a tackling machine, Gibbons backs himself, the big Pit won’t be intimidated by Grundy (might not beat him, but won’t be intimidated!) Cripps and Ed know what is required..... we will be the hunted this week, let them worry about us.

Reply #89
we cant let them have easy exit from  our forward line ,Our fwds need to bring immense pressure this week