Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546543 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #2025
BTW, did anyone watch that underarm docco last night ?.  I had some pre-conceived fears about what it would be like……and it was exactly as I predicted.

Over dramatized, presenting the poor little Kiwis as being hard done by the whole summer, including the balls leading up to that last one (Hadlees LBW was just stone dead out …..end of story),  no interviews with the real senior players in the side apart from Chappell (Lillee, Marsh ),  and I get the feeling that some NZ players (Howarth particularly) just have never let it go…….get over it…..

I watched it.....seemed the Kiwi's got more off field benefit out of it and it really helped sell the game in NZ(and plenty of anti aus t-shirts) and weld the community together, as Howarth said they were more popular than the all blacks for a short period of time. The bloke who suffered the most was Trevor Chappell IMO, he looked very old and tired on that interview and I reckon Greg would feel more guilty what he did to his brother than the game.

Reply #2026
Greg always given the impression that he couldn't care less about Trev,  comes across as a single minded, ruthless individual. Winning was what counted then,  bugger the consequences.

Kiwis are just pissed because they lost.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2027
Lehmann gets it.....

- One man who understands Langer's scheduling frustrations better than most is his predecessor Darren Lehmann, who last week called for Khawaja to focus on the climax of the Shield season instead of the Indian tour.
Speaking before Khawaja's drought-breaking century against Sri Lanka in Canberra, Lehmann said allowing the left-hander to play a solid block of first-class cricket away from the glare of the international spotlight would be a fillip for Australia's Ashes campaign.
"If I'm fair dinkum about batting him (at) three in the Ashes, I don't think you can take him to the one day series against India and Pakistan," Lehmann told Macquarie Sports Radio.
"I think he's got to play the four Shield games at the back end with the Dukes ball and get some form."

Langer just doesn't.....

- Australia's leading players won't be excused from the upcoming white-ball tour of Asia in order to play the final rounds of the JLT Sheffield Shield, with coach Justin Langer saying their World Cup defence is his main focus despite the Ashes also fast approaching.
While acknowledging the importance of the Shield in instructing Australia's Ashes squad, Langer said there was no thought of holding back some players from the ODI campaigns and prioritising critical practice against the red Dukes ball.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #2028
Amplifies what an idiot Langer really is

Reply #2029
Amplifies what an idiot Langer really is

Yes, honing one’s craft in the Shield should be the priority both for our more seasoned players and those pressing for Ashes selection.

I think that India is leading the way in selecting the best teams for T20, ODI and Tests with few players making all three squads. 

Still, I don’t think Langer is the only one who has lost the plot; he has many mates at Cricket Australia who should be following different careers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2030
I watched it.....seemed the Kiwi's got more off field benefit out of it and it really helped sell the game in NZ(and plenty of anti aus t-shirts) and weld the community together, as Howarth said they were more popular than the all blacks for a short period of time. The bloke who suffered the most was Trevor Chappell IMO, he looked very old and tired on that interview and I reckon Greg would feel more guilty what he did to his brother than the game.

I was actually there.

Reply #2031
Hard not to lock Starc in however agree on Khawaja as this series came at the perfect time for him. No guarantees he wont let us down in England.

Might be better opening with Khawaja and batting Patterson at 3, where he bats for NSW.

On English pitches I have Pattinson ahead of Starc and Richardson ahead of Hazelwood. Pattinson is surely fit by August.

At this stage of my rolling team

Warner
Khawaja
Patterson
Smith
Head
Purcovski/Wade/Stoinis (Not sure here yet. Wait for the last few games of the Shield)
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Richardson

Wade is a surprisingly decent bowler with decent pace so can put in a few overs if needed.

Reply #2032
Might be better opening with Khawaja and batting Patterson at 3, where he bats for NSW.

On English pitches I have Pattinson ahead of Starc and Richardson ahead of Hazelwood. Pattinson is surely fit by August.

At this stage of my rolling team

Warner
Khawaja
Patterson
Smith
Head
Purcovski/Wade/Stoinis (Not sure here yet. Wait for the last few games of the Shield)
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Richardson

Wade is a surprisingly decent bowler with decent pace so can put in a few overs if needed.

Have this horrible feeling they will take Siddle...... :) :D, reckon Burns will tour also and open with Warner to have the right/left opening partnership, he is also a decent field unlike Khawaja..
Not sure on Wade either...doesnt seem in the selectors minds to me...might spring a surprise and take another younger keeper or a batsman who can keep like Handscomb.
Agree on Patterson...would bat him at No 3......
England were terrible vs the Windies and we should start favorites unless we stuff up at the selection table and Langar picks his favs....

Reply #2033
Have this horrible feeling they will take Siddle...... :) :D, reckon Burns will tour also and open with Warner to have the right/left opening partnership, he is also a decent field unlike Khawaja..
Not sure on Wade either...doesnt seem in the selectors minds to me...might spring a surprise and take another younger keeper or a batsman who can keep like Handscomb.
Agree on Patterson...would bat him at No 3......
England were terrible vs the Windies and we should start favorites unless we stuff up at the selection table and Langar picks his favs....

Patterson just looks like a # 3 doesn't he ?...Pujara type.

Reply #2034
I was actually there.

wow...yeah, I can only imagine what the crowd reaction was....disbelief I'm sure, similar to mine at home watching it !!

..how old were you (if I dare to ask ?)...only that a kid might not have been aware at the time of the full impact of what was happening.

Reply #2035
One half decent game against B-Grade opponents and Starc is out injured!

Starc, Marsh and Marsh, when will the selectors learn?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2036
Starc injured What is the deal?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2039
wow...yeah, I can only imagine what the crowd reaction was....disbelief I'm sure, similar to mine at home watching it !!

..how old were you (if I dare to ask ?)...only that a kid might not have been aware at the time of the full impact of what was happening.

23.....ssshhh...lol.