Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday) (Read 22392 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday)

Reply #76
Happy with kids in settlefield Walsh Cunningham and Weitering but sadly some things are still bottom 2 quality - when the real stuff starts just can’t carry players like Polson or Garlett.

Surely we have others who can actually contribute instead of keeping on persisting with these guys.

And omg does Roos ever shut the f*** up!! Had to mute the commentary.

Reply #77
A better quarter but still plenty of room for improvement.

Reply #78
Agree, especially about Polson. Not up to it. Garlett has got the ability, but lacks that something which would make the difference between what he is now, and what he could be.

Interesting, how murphy picked our main weakness in the half time interview he just did. their delivery into the forward line compared to ours.

Reply #79
Agreed bignic! Watched a fair bit of JLT games so far (much to the chagrin of the wife) and from what I've seen of the other highly ranked blokes (Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee, Smith, King etc), Walsh is vastly superior and ready made....the others have shown brief glimpses here and there but Walsh looks like a 60 game "veteran" already.

I think Simpson will play his role and probably still very important to the structure without Docherty there. But we lack a player who can take advantage of these new kick-in rules.....look at Hurn from West Coast....run 20m and then put it beyond the centre with one kick. As some commentators have said, it defeats the purpose with these new rules if you're going to chip it 20m sideways from a kick-in and get hemmed in...especially if you don't have the elite kicking skills that other teams seem to have at the moment.

Reply #80
Murphy and Simpson have only ever gone about 60% rat power in the preseason games. Long season. 

Reply #81
Agreed bignic! Watched a fair bit of JLT games so far (much to the chagrin of the wife) and from what I've seen of the other highly ranked blokes (Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee, Smith, King etc), Walsh is vastly superior and ready made....the others have shown brief glimpses here and there but Walsh looks like a 60 game "veteran" already.

I think Simpson will play his role and probably still very important to the structure without Docherty there. But we lack a player who can take advantage of these new kick-in rules.....look at Hurn from West Coast....run 20m and then put it beyond the centre with one kick. As some commentators have said, it defeats the purpose with these new rules if you're going to chip it 20m sideways from a kick-in and get hemmed in...especially if you don't have the elite kicking skills that other teams seem to have at the moment.

Agree on Walsh, looks great. The other one I've seen so far who I like is Zac Butters at PA.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #82
massive amounts of negativity....f'n insane.

It's a scratch match....we're trailing by 3 points.

What a bunch of Richmond supporters...(pre recent success).
Thankyou FB, some of the comments are bordering on insane.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
Murphy and Simpson have only ever gone about 60% rat power in the preseason games. Long season.

I have no doubt that they aren't busting their guts as the old saying goes.

I just reckon that the game has changed so much over the last three years, that  the burn out factor is going to be greater than ever for blokes who are 30 plus, unless they have special qualities which set them apart.

Reply #84
Agreed Cookie....seen both Port games and Butters looks fantastic....lightly built but not afraid to get in and get it and has great speed and foot skills. I think he was pretty highly rated but probably not in that top 6-8 names.

Reply #85
Hard to tell on TV but our structures looked much better v Cheats FC in JLT 1. Our blokes looked more confident on their home (training) deck.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #86

Sorry guys but there are times when even in a game like this you need to be fair and call it as you see it.

Polson is not afl standard and Garlett lacks awareness. If players trying to get a game can’t make decent decisions in a scratch match well if you want to believe it will change when the pressure is on good for you.

There are several positives in many of the kids but need to accept the negatives as well.

Reply #87
I know it’s only preseason, but what is going on with Plowman????

Reply #88

Which ones?

Mackay, has taken one contested mark. We still haven't got an obvious plan when kicking out after a behind is scored. Even Murphy, at half time, criticised the way we enter the forward line.

It's a practice match. we get it.

That being the case, the question is, what the hell are they actually practicing?

If it's the game plan, then perhaps someone can enlighten me as to what is different about this years so called game plan, based on what we have seen in the two games thus far, with what the team delivered last year. We have been told that Bolton went to Harvard, and probably listened to all sorts of sports psychologists crappping on, and  that he's invited the players to barbecues and goes on drives with them to establish a closer relationship bla bla bla.

All fantastic.

But, I thought the idea of the game was to get the ball, kick it to advantage, and outscore your opponent, and you should win the game. Pretty simple really. Yes, you have to defend, and tackle hard, and put in, and concentrate, and give it your all. Those are the basic essentials as to how you play the game.

Now your team may not have the ability to do any of that, which is why you finish at the bottom.

All this stuff, is wrapped up in a game plan. I still, after 3 years, and entering a fourth , have no idea, what Bolton'rs game plan is. And I defy anyone to point out something that the players are doing, which is an example of that plan.

It doesn't matter if it has worked or not, just point one thing that he has told them to do as part of his game plan, which is obvious to you, that I am failing to see.

At this stage, with 5 minutes to play, C/wood are 90 possessions ahead of us, and Mackay just dropped an easy barely contested mark.

It's a huge problem for him!!

Reply #89
Interesting that despite the massive difference in possessions, inside 50 numbers are almost exactly the same....but we can't score. Maybe McGovern might spend a bit more time in the backline? I haven't been watching so I'm assuming he's playing forward? But yes, McKay needs to be able to utilise his height and size and clunk some marks.