Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24069 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #30
Blame the selectors...Fasalo was slow with no match fitness...

We need a Higgins type........to compliment our talls.....
delivery into the forward line was shambolic. On the opposite side, Tigers were brutally efficient. They made Lynch look good although he poached his goals. Thought Weiters was very good all night. Being at the game, I noticed we favoured one side of the ground more. Why is that?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
One other thing. Why do we dish off immediately when tackled and hand it over? We need to hold it up more.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #32
Oh and I expected much much better than what we dished up. The umps were horrid in the first qrt but we were equal to the task. We have a very long way to go.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33
delivery into the forward line was shambolic. On the opposite side, Tigers were brutally efficient. They made Lynch look good although he poached his goals. Thought Weiters was very good all night. Being at the game, I noticed we favoured one side of the ground more. Why is that?

re: Lynch...did his job, could have kicked a couple more, he was there more for presence than output IMO........Weitering was ok too used the ball ok out of defense and didnt lose contact with his man like he did last season. We are restricted it seems to using Newman to deliver the footy out of the backline, really missing Docherty in this area.....

Reply #34
Too many passengers, Charlie Curnow included.

We were our own worst enemy for most of the game - bad decisions, poor use of the ball.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
Too many passengers, Charlie Curnow included.

We were our own worst enemy for most of the game - bad decisions, poor use of the ball.....
and the fumbles!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
Two things stood out

(1) Transition from the Tigers HBF - an absolute training drill for the Tigers. As the ball came into our forward line they simply press forward with purpose, leaving a sweeper at the back of the pack for release or to run past for a handfall. Cost us  5 goals. Coaches must get on to this - exactly the same thing happened against the bombers.

(2) Work rate/Intensity - Tigers had far more intensity right from the start and often outnumbered blues runners 3 to 1 in general play. 1st and last quarters very poor

Weitering, Jones & Plowman very good tonight/cant fault.
Walsh, Cripps, Setterfield, Cunnngham all very good
The experiment with Ed Curnow in attack has to end. He's simply a poor decision maker and good teams capitalise on silly decisions.
SPS, Newman & Thomas patchy - did some ok things but made some very poor errors. Samo doesn't waste a lot but his intensity needs to lift.
Garlett, Murphy simply not hard enough at the contest a number of times. Murphy's time as a mid is close to over and probably needs to swap with Ed Curnow.
Fasolo, McGovern talented but largely absent. Not convinced that McGovern is such a huge upgrade on Casboult especially given Cas' ability to ruck.
Phillips needs to catch the ball & I dont like McKay rucking
I'd put C Curnow on wing, he was slaughtered by Grimes.

Reply #37
I’m sick of losing  :'(
I'm pretty sure you are not alone Micky mate.
I have had a gut full, my son is 16 years old(been a member since he was 2 weeks old), all his life bar one unusual year we have been putrid and everyone in the AFL has kicked and spat on us while we have been down.
I have tried to remain positive but he has lost all interest in footy and it breaks my heart.
I grew up in the glory times and all I see now is selfish men all doing the 9-5 thing to get a dollar, all looking after number 1, club is number 3 or 4.
I now have a very jaded view of football and chuckle when I hear , Fasolo had an off night or Setterfield was a bit rusty. It reminds of, Digby Morrell needs time to gel or Adam Hartlett needs to settle and get game time or Cameron Croad will be a great players because he has a cool name. All false dawns and all talked up by people with a glass half full attitude.
I like this type of attitude but as a Life long Carlton supporter it has worn thin and only results will satisfy now, no more talking, no more BS.

IT IS TIME.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #39
@ Jon Dora
Spot on. The Tigers transition from defence to fwd was breathtaking to watch live.
Though Cunners was good early but went quiet.
Ill say it again, our fwds never get into space. Theirs do it with ease.
H was very good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
All that said if Big H had been awarded that free late in Q3 when he chased and got the defender near the point post - and it was a free every day of the year - he goals then and it was under 2 goals....

We gave them a 6 goal head start and half our blokes were MIA.

If Charlie puts in another effort like that off to the twos....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
I really like Bolts, and I rate David Teague too, but,
after tonight I reckon we have coaching issues.
The game plan should be a lot more obvious  & progressed after 3 years 4 pre-seasons.
But it doesn't Al make sense, because it's seems we've had the same trouble for 10 years or more under 3 different coaches and at least 2 drastically different playing groups.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #42
@ Jon Dora
Spot on. The Tigers transition from defence to fwd was breathtaking to watch live.
H was very good.

There's get into space because the ball moves into their F50 quickly and efficiently. Our mids give ours no hope. 4 f years and We have progressed nowhere in that regard. 9 goals F 10. Like F me!

Reply #43
@ Jon Dora
H was very good.

As were our repeated cheap cough ups which made life awfully easy for them on the rebound....

Some really, really poor decision making from many of our guys - Ed Curnow one of the worst.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
Plowman ended up having a good game and got dusty twice in the middle, simply awesome to see him tackled.

That said, plowman definitely took short steps in the first quarter when it was his turn