Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24381 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #45
As were our repeated cheap cough ups which made life awfully easy for them on the rebound....

Some really, really poor decision making from many of our guys - Ed Curnow one of the worst.

Ed Curnow down forward costs us goals, you need class delivery when you are playing three talls and a small marking forward....

Reply #46
I really like Bolts, and I rate David Teague too, but,
after tonight I reckon we have coaching issues.
The game plan should be a lot more obvious  & progressed after 3 years 4 pre-seasons.
But it doesn't Al make sense, because it's seems we've had the same trouble for 10 years or more under 3 different coaches and at least 2 drastically different playing groups.

x200.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #47
I really like Bolts, and I rate David Teague too, but,
after tonight I reckon we have coaching issues.
The game plan should be a lot more obvious  & progressed after 3 years 4 pre-seasons.
But it doesn't Al make sense, because it's seems we've had the same trouble for 10 years or more under 3 different coaches and at least 2 drastically different playing groups.

Teague can coach. Wouldn't mind him doing the job.

Reply #48
All that said if Big H had been awarded that free late in Q3 when he chased and got the defender near the point post - and it was a free every day of the year - he goals then and it was under 2 goals....

We gave them a 6 goal head start and half our blokes were MIA.

If Charlie puts in another effort like that off to the twos....
Id say off to the twos already. He carried terrible JLT Series form into the season proper. He was simply horrible.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
He was crap but when you look at the alternatives you simply cannot drop Charlie.

It's not like he had much to work with either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
So much hate!

We couldn't run out a game last year and still can't.

Spent all our petrol catching up and slowed to a walk immediately after 3 quarter time. We got jumped early and panicked and it cost us the game.

But there were so many positives. How many teams have made Richmond mentally disintegrate like they did in that 3rd quarter?

They completely panicked and repeatedly gave away silly frees and hacked it out of defense.

We have something to build on at last.

Spot on, Jeza. I’m frankly stunned by how negative the majority of comments have been on this thread. I’ll save more detailed analysis for later, but I’ll say this now - I got out of my seat with a fist in the air way more often than I expected to tonight, and we actually worried them. 33 points was well within the acceptable range for me, against a top side, with a very different Carlton group.

Reply #51
Geez we’re soft at times
And dumb.
How many times when defending do we go to the wrong side of the contest?
At least Newman gets the basics

Reply #52
Would anyone like to have a crack at actually defining ‘game plan’? Or, if not, maybe describe Richmond’s ‘game plan’, ‘system’, ‘brand’ or the like, compared to ours tonight? What were our deficiencies, in a ‘game plan’ sense? Who can usefully describe and set out any other team’s ‘game plan’?

It’s bullcrap, people. It’s vocabulary invented by the media and tolerated by coaches, but it means nothing. There might be vague plans for particular games, match-ups, moments, but no one has an overriding plan other than kicking more than the opposition. Please, let’s drop that talk.

Reply #54
So much hate!

We couldn't run out a game last year and still can't.

Spent all our petrol catching up and slowed to a walk immediately after 3 quarter time. We got jumped early and panicked and it cost us the game.

But there were so many positives. How many teams have made Richmond mentally disintegrate like they did in that 3rd quarter?

They completely panicked and repeatedly gave away silly frees and hacked it out of defense.

We have something to build on at last.

So much sense!
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #55
Would anyone like to have a crack at actually defining ‘game plan’? Or, if not, maybe describe Richmond’s ‘game plan’, ‘system’, ‘brand’ or the like, compared to ours tonight? What were our deficiencies, in a ‘game plan’ sense? Who can usefully describe and set out any other team’s ‘game plan’?

It’s bullcrap, people. It’s vocabulary invented by the media and tolerated by coaches, but it means nothing. There might be vague plans for particular games, match-ups, moments, but no one has an overriding plan other than kicking more than the opposition. Please, let’s drop that talk.

Tell me in a modern, professional game that you are kidding. Those things  are worked ti the nth degree as are other plans. Good sides come up with game plans regularly that win flags and others follow. Keep up!

Reply #56
Spot on, Jeza. I’m frankly stunned by how negative the majority of comments have been on this thread. I’ll save more detailed analysis for later, but I’ll say this now - I got out of my seat with a fist in the air way more often than I expected to tonight, and we actually worried them. 33 points was well within the acceptable range for me, against a top side, with a very different Carlton group.

The negativity from me won't be directed at players. Charlie's, like everyone, is going to have to odd patch where he's out of form. I'll live with that. My issue is a lack of a working game plan, after 4 years, so we can score. That's a coaching issue. I see good things from individuals that make me very happy but without a functioning game plan we won't score. That's the crux and into a 4th year I want to know why.

Reply #57
The negativity from me won't be directed at players. Charlie's, like everyone, is going to have to odd patch where he's out of form. I'll live with that. My issue is a lack of a working game plan, after 4 years, so we can score. That's a coaching issue. I see good things from individuals that make me very happy but without a functioning game plan we won't score. That's the crux and into a 4th year I want to know why.
Spot on Jim.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #58

X2

Reply #59
Slowww starts, lousy tired finishes and 2 quarters of very good football.  Where have I see that before?

There was some merit in what I saw.  No sense bagging any one player just yet, but I expect much more from the Curnows.

Still far from sold on Bolton